Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,367 of 1,957
Even sales from retail store does not recommend to buy W60 because of the built quality and said there is one customer exchanged 3 pairs in a week. I didn't listen to his advise and purchased the W60 anyway, and now I have a broken case housing earphone
frown.gif

Ouch.

I've been on the fence now (nothing new there) about getting a westone again for a universal, but the many many stories of cracking plates makes me steer clear of the w range.   There doesn't seem to be much out there that has the sound AND comfort of the westone range and isolation of the westone range unless I'm not looking hard enough.  Real shame.

Been wondering about the UM range but there is no way in the uk to demo these things which is even more frustrating.  On the one hand the pro 30 and 50 sounds just like my signature that I'm looking for, on the other I'm reluctant to drop that kind of ££ without a listen.

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,368 of 1,957
Even sales from retail store does not recommend to buy W60 because of the built quality and said there is one customer exchanged 3 pairs in a week. I didn't listen to his advise and purchased the W60 anyway, and now I have a broken case housing earphone
frown.gif

First of all, you are making a very serious accusation statement without backing it up. 

Actually, looking at the history of your previous posts in W60 thread, you wrote here "Mine is a special case, I bought my W60 during my trip in Japan, but not directly from their online store or local dealer." and you also posted here "I felt very unfortunate that I just have both side of my earphone cracked after putting on my new aftermarket cables.. The aftermarket cable was harder than the stock one, when I push the cable to over my ear after putting the plug in my ear, the pressure just breaks the top of the case housing.."

Even so any universal mmcx connector cable can work with Westone (the native Westone connector has a slightly shorter profile so you can't use Epic cable with other universal mmcx connector shells), the design of Westone W-/UMPro- shell is so you can NOT use every single cable connector and need to use a very slim housing connector.  A number of manufacturers, like FiiO, had to redesign their mmcx cables making a special version with a slim mmcx connector housing to fit Westone iems.  You obviously didn't realize that, got a regular cable connector, forced it on W60, and possibly cracked the shell because of that.  Not sure if this is even covered by warranty.  And now you are misleading others by saying that "sales from retail store doesn't recommend to buy W60"?!?  You didn't even buy it from a retail store, and according to your post - you used a wrong after market cable/connector which possible caused the crack of the shell.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,369 of 1,957
First of all, you are making a very serious accusation statement without backing it up. 

Actually, looking at the history of your previous posts in W60 thread, you wrote here "Mine is a special case, I bought my W60 during my trip in Japan, but not directly from their online store or local dealer." and you also posted here "I felt very unfortunate that I just have both side of my earphone cracked after putting on my new aftermarket cables.. The aftermarket cable was harder than the stock one, when I push the cable to over my ear after putting the plug in my ear, the pressure just breaks the top of the case housing.."

Even so any universal mmcx connector cable can work with Westone (the native Westone connector has a slightly shorter profile so you can't use Epic cable with other universal mmcx connector shells), the design of Westone W-/UMPro- shell is so you can NOT use every single cable connector and need to use a very slim housing connector.  A number of manufacturers, like FiiO, had to redesign their mmcx cables making a special version with a slim mmcx connector housing to fit Westone iems.  You obviously didn't realize that, got a regular cable connector, forced it on W60, and possibly cracked the shell because of that.  Not sure if this is even covered by warranty.  And now you are misleading others by saying that "sales from retail store doesn't recommend to buy W60"?!?  You didn't even buy it from a retail store, and according to your post - you used a wrong after market cable/connector which possible caused the crack of the shell.
Thanks for taking the time to study my previous posts.
You are right partially, I might not be using the proper fit of mmcx connector. But I did mention to the cable maker when I purchase my cable. He also state his customers never had issue with the mmcx connector on their W60.

The retail shop quote is from my friend who was deciding to buy W60 or SE846. After talking to the sales, he bought a SE846. I was just telling what I heard. I didn't know and believe what the retail shop said at first, until mine was broken. Then I realized what the retail shop is talking about.

I do not get money for talking bad about W60. Let's get to the fact that the W60 is fragile compared to its price point and its competitor SE846. Btw, I'm listening to my W60 while writing this post and I'm still enjoying the sound quality, just not the build quality.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,370 of 1,957
But Pro 30 and 50's sound signatures are so different. For me, Pro 30's like heaven and 50's worse than hell, honestly, I wouldn't use Pro 50 if someone gave them to me for free. I've been a fan of Westone since UM2, and Pro 50 are the only Westone IEMs I would stay well clear of personally.

On the one hand the pro 30 and 50 sounds just like my signature that I'm looking for, on the other I'm reluctant to drop that kind of ££ without a listen.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,371 of 1,957
I have both. The W60 is not fragile. I take them to work every day. They are more comfortable than the 846 to wear for extended periods to time and sound amazing with the iPhone 6+ thus making it ideal for portable use.
While I do like the 846 a lot also, for portability, comfort, sound, nothing beats the W60. After a year of use, they look like new.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,372 of 1,957
I agree totally, I don't treat my W60 well either, I just throw them into the bedside drawer with all my other IEMs after listening at night and they stay fine, although the SE846 are built like a tank, it doesn't mean W60 are fragile. They are very tiny, tough and light with such comfortable fit which makes it's hard to believe there are 6 drivers inside each housing, my Westone 4 and 4R seeme big and bulky in comparison, and I had them for over 2 years now and no problem so far.

I have both. The W60 is not fragile. I take them to work every day. They are more comfortable than the 846 to wear for extended periods to time and sound amazing with the iPhone 6+ thus making it ideal for portable use.
While I do like the 846 a lot also, for portability, comfort, sound, nothing beats the W60. After a year of use, they look like new.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,373 of 1,957

Thanks for taking the time to study my previous posts.
You are right partially, I might not be using the proper fit of mmcx connector. But I did mention to the cable maker when I purchase my cable. He also state his customers never had issue with the mmcx connector on their W60.

The retail shop quote is from my friend who was deciding to buy W60 or SE846. After talking to the sales, he bought a SE846. I was just telling what I heard. I didn't know and believe what the retail shop said at first, until mine was broken. Then I realized what the retail shop is talking about.

I do not get money for talking bad about W60. Let's get to the fact that the W60 is fragile compared to its price point and its competitor SE846. Btw, I'm listening to my W60 while writing this post and I'm still enjoying the sound quality, just not the build quality.

I don't get compensated for talking about W60 or hundreds of other headphones/daps/amps I have reviewed and shared about on head-fi either
wink.gif
 but I do make it a habit to monitor threads of products I have reviewed and provide the feedback to manufacturers so they know what's going on.  As I matter of fact, now we have Westone marketing director monitoring this thread as well.  Many companies get their feedback based on warranty claims rather than forums, so all the info we post here *supported* by pictures is VERY important.  But I also want to be sure we are careful about making general statements and that we clarify it.  You do have a valid concern and maybe Westone should look into future shells where the angle of mmcx socket allows for other aftermarket connectors to accommodate it without causing a damage.  And, my personal opinion, we don't really need those replaceable faceplates, they cause more headaches.
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,374 of 1,957
I don't get compensated for talking about W60 or hundreds of other headphones/daps/amps I have reviewed and shared about on head-fi either :wink:  but I do make it a habit to monitor threads of products I have reviewed and provide the feedback to manufacturers so they know what's going on.  As I matter of fact, now we have Westone marketing director monitoring this thread as well.  Many companies get their feedback based on warranty claims rather than forums, so all the info we post here *supported* by pictures is VERY important.  But I also want to be sure we are careful about making general statements and that we clarify it.  You do have a valid concern and maybe Westone should look into future shells where the angle of mmcx socket allows for other aftermarket connectors to accommodate it without causing a damage.  And, my personal opinion, we don't really need those replaceable faceplates, they cause more headaches.
:beerchug:
True. Faceplate is useless and they should have spent the money to have a better build shell instead of the faceplate.
Also, having a MMCX connector but not fitting a standard mmcx connector cable is like tricking the user to break their earphones.. :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,375 of 1,957

I don't get compensated for talking about W60 or hundreds of other headphones/daps/amps I have reviewed and shared about on head-fi either
wink.gif
 but I do make it a habit to monitor threads of products I have reviewed and provide the feedback to manufacturers so they know what's going on.  As I matter of fact, now we have Westone marketing director monitoring this thread as well.  Many companies get their feedback based on warranty claims rather than forums, so all the info we post here *supported* by pictures is VERY important.  But I also want to be sure we are careful about making general statements and that we clarify it.  You do have a valid concern and maybe Westone should look into future shells where the angle of mmcx socket allows for other aftermarket connectors to accommodate it without causing a damage.  And, my personal opinion, we don't really need those replaceable faceplates, they cause more headaches.
beerchug.gif

True. Faceplate is useless and they should have spent the money to have a better build shell instead of the faceplate.
Also, having a MMCX connector but not fitting a standard mmcx connector cable is like tricking the user to break their earphones..
rolleyes.gif

It fits, but very tight with bigger connectors, thus you need something slimmer.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,376 of 1,957
Agreed, but maybe they have to have the non standard MMCX connector to keep the housing small, it is very small for a 6 driver IEM.

Also, having a MMCX connector but not fitting a standard mmcx connector cable is like tricking the user to break their earphones.. :rolleyes:

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,377 of 1,957
Well today I've talked with gold repair store to make me my custom design faceplates and they will cost me around 300$ to make a pair. The sound quality is great but when I look at my se846 it's looks like a child's toy. Has anyone tried to make custom faceplates? Is there going to be safe? I really can't go for warranty to replace them. I also have a linum cable but haven't use them yet. Is it going to be safe or it's going to crack like hidehide on this forum (post 1352)?
For the ones who are going to buy this product it's great but you really need to have time to go to warranty because there is a lit of chance it will break in 2 years.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,378 of 1,957
I had the wiring fail on the right monitor of my set (maybe related to the MMCX), so I had them reshelled into customs by InEarz and have never looked back. Will never purchase a UIEM again, especially one from Westone. Completely crap build quality.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,379 of 1,957
  I had the wiring fail on the right monitor of my set (maybe related to the MMCX), so I had them reshelled into customs by InEarz and have never looked back. Will never purchase a UIEM again, especially one from Westone. Completely crap build quality.

Great to know that. So if my case broke down eventually, there is still a backup plan to fix it with $125.. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,380 of 1,957

Great to know that. So if my case broke down eventually, there is still a backup plan to fix it with $125.. Thanks!

Just keep in mind, the sound will not be 100% the same, but close.  Here is my write-up about InEarz re-shelled UM Pro 50: http://www.head-fi.org/t/790995/review-of-inearz-re-shelled-um-pro-50-and-comparison-to-the-original-westone-um-pro-50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back