Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #676 of 1,957
Looking to get a new Universal IEM and narrowed it down so far to the SE846 and W60 but leaning towards the latter. Anyone who has heard both, which IEM has a wider soundstage and more air? Which might be better suited for acoustic, folk, jazz, singer/songwriter music? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

You have to demo them.
I would say 846 the better IEM in terms of clarity and soundstage. The W60 is extremely comfortable to wear.
There is a reason the thread for the 846 is so much more comprehensive than the W60.
I have both and rate both but the 846 is better. It is also at least 200 pounds dearer in the UK.

And if money no object try the JH Layla.

May 3, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #677 of 1,957
You have to demo them.
I would say 846 the better IEM in terms of clarity and soundstage. The W60 is extremely comfortable to wear.
There is a reason the thread for the 846 is so much more comprehensive than the W60.
I have both and rate both but the 846 is better. It is also at least 200 pounds dearer in the UK.

And if money no object try the JH Layla.

Well, I may be able to swing for the Angie. However bad experiences with JH audio in the past (jh13pro) make me hesitant.

May 4, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #680 of 1,957
Agree with above. Where the SE846 might sound different (maybe better depending on your tastes) is the weight in midrange. Midrange is forward on the SE846. That being said, acoustic guitars and male vocals have presence/weight on the SE846 that I really enjoy. If all I were to listen to were that Genre, it would be a very tough call. Otherwise, I generally prefer the W60. They both are great TOTL IEMs that cater to different tastes.

Good luck.

May 5, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #681 of 1,957
Agree with above. Where the SE846 might sound different (maybe better depending on your tastes) is the weight in midrange. Midrange is forward on the SE846. That being said, acoustic guitars and male vocals have presence/weight on the SE846 that I really enjoy. If all I were to listen to were that Genre, it would be a very tough call. Otherwise, I generally prefer the W60. They both are great TOTL IEMs that cater to different tastes.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Again, it's really appreciated. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any of the Westone line but have owned the Shure E2c, E4C, Se530 and JH13PRO - all of which i found largely underwhelming. I find I do enjoy more of a v-shaped signature rather than overly neutral in my experience.

I'll likely be choosing tomorrow but hopefully can audition them before I do. The W60 is a few hundred cheaper and although less popular, seem to be well received overall. They seem to be the forerunners at this point.

May 5, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #682 of 1,957
Thanks for the advice everyone. Again, it's really appreciated. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to any of the Westone line but have owned the Shure E2c, E4C, Se530 and JH13PRO - all of which i found largely underwhelming. I find I do enjoy more of a v-shaped signature rather than overly neutral in my experience.

I'll likely be choosing tomorrow but hopefully can audition them before I do. The W60 is a few hundred cheaper and although less popular, seem to be well received overall. They seem to be the forerunners at this point.

its less popular because it is a less known company than shure and their advertisement is basically non-existence unless you come on to head-fi. That being said they did win 2014 CES award as the best IEM.

May 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #683 of 1,957
Auditioned the SE846, W60 and Noble 6 today and walked out with the W60. they seemed to offer the most in terms of SQ, comfort and build. The 846 were a bit too fatiguing and the mids seemed way too forced. W60 were a bit airier and more balanced.

The biggest surprise was the Noble 6 however. They honestly seemed to me at least, a step above the others with better soundstage, clarity, dynamics and air. very impressive but the nozzles are huge! It was difficult finding the optimal fit whereas the W60 pretty much slide right in. They made my ears hurt after minutes of listening but what I was able to listen to seemed a notch above the others. Definitely would've gone with those had the fit been better.

May 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #684 of 1,957
Auditioned the SE846, W60 and Noble 6 today and walked out with the W60. they seemed to offer the most in terms of SQ, comfort and build. The 846 were a bit too fatiguing and the mids seemed way too forced. W60 were a bit airier and more balanced.

The biggest surprise was the Noble 6 however. They honestly seemed to me at least, a step above the others with better soundstage, clarity, dynamics and air. very impressive but the nozzles are huge! It was difficult finding the optimal fit whereas the W60 pretty much slide right in. They made my ears hurt after minutes of listening but what I was able to listen to seemed a notch above the others. Definitely would've gone with those had the fit been better.

Can't comment on the Noble 6 but I share your thoughts on SE846 vs W60. I owned the SE846 for a few months but eventually sold them since I also found them to be fatiguing and I wasn't able to get a comfortable fit. Briefly listened to the W60 in a store at Charlotte airport and prefer them over the SE846 in terms of SQ (more balanced, very smooth, less fatigue) and fit. Compared to SE846 the W60's are a lot lighter and sit completely flush in my ear. Build quality wise, the shures wins hands-down. 

May 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #686 of 1,957
A forward midrange naturally shrinks the soundstage.  Everything sounds close and intimate.  If you like a forward midrange by all means get the SE846.

If you want a bit softer, laid back presentation, but with better treble extension and a vaster larger sound/soundstage, the W60 is the way to go.   Another way to compare them is the Shure sounds like an IEM where the W60 sounds like a headphone.  I owned them both back to back.

I could only listen to SE846 for 30 minutes before I had to take a break.  The shouting forward midrange was extremely fatiguing to me.  This doesn't happen with the W60.  It's more balanced versus bell-shaped sound sig.

May 6, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #689 of 1,957
A forward midrange naturally shrinks the soundstage.  Everything sounds close and intimate.  If you like a forward midrange by all means get the SE846.

If you want a bit softer, laid back presentation, but with better treble extension and a vaster larger sound/soundstage, the W60 is the way to go.   Another way to compare them is the Shure sounds like an IEM where the W60 sounds like a headphone.  I owned them both back to back.

I could only listen to SE846 for 30 minutes before I had to take a break.  The shouting forward midrange was extremely fatiguing to me.  This doesn't happen with the W60.  It's more balanced versus bell-shaped sound sig.

I have the exact same impression of both IEMs. The SE846 almost sound like they're forcing the mids down your throat whereas the W60 seem much more balanced and cohesive. The Shure's had a lot of initial wow factor at the beginning due to the extended bass and shouty mids, but after time it becomes fatiguing and almost unharmonious. The W60 are more subtle throughout their sound signature but with much more texture and detail that becomes appreciated with increased listening.

May 6, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #690 of 1,957
I agree with the above sentiments.

I liken it to TVs on display in an electrical store: The bright, sharp pictures stand out - as the manufacturers want them to - but when you get one home and plug it in you spend an hour adjusting the brightness and colour because it's too much.

The Shures are the TVs on display; they are mind-blowingly good... for about 20 minutes. The Westones are 'duller' but I can listen for hours without being overwhelmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back