Westone w40 short review, includes pictures.
Sep 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #16 of 270

No doubt, there are a ton of great sounding IEM's currently on the market and one would be well served to listen to as many as possible before making a final decision. Have you tried the X5 with the E12 Mont Blanc into the W40's? The X5 is a great player without a doubt, but the W40's "to my ears" sound better with some of my stand alone amps (and a very good DAC) or the X3 with its Line Out feeding the E12 then to the Westones. I think they scale pretty well and can sound better when hooked up to a pretty good home DAC and headphone amp...at least that's how they sounded best for me. Of course, what matters most is what sounds best to you since its your setup.

I've tried the W40 on my XDA-2 output, as it most conveniently has a 3.5mm TRS socket.  My XDA-2 happens to be modded to scrape out a bit more from the DAC section than the stock unit. The output to the W40 is better than the portable player. So much so it becomes possible to detect the performance difference between the epic and the iPhone TRRS cable. I don't find it as glaring a difference with the stock output on the X5.

And your right about the stupid audiobooks. I'm on book two of the GoT series and at 30hrs each it seems like I've been immersed into a little slice of forever. I keep the books on my iPhone because its handy and I can answer without issue using the TRRS cable. Very handy when I'm out and about.

I do imagine that the W60's would sound incredible! 

At the price point, that would be the hope. A few have reviewed it, and it mostly gets compared to the Shure 846 and other HP's at the same price bracket. I'd like to see it compared to the 40's and 50's.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 270
biggrin.gif
Quote:

And your right about the stupid audiobooks. I'm on book two of the GoT series and at 30hrs each it seems like I've been immersed into a little slice of forever. I keep the books on my iPhone because its handy and I can answer without issue using the TRRS cable. Very handy when I'm out and about.

I read and listened to all 5 books of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series and they are hard to put down...I listened to a couple of the books twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Loved them...good audiobooks can be addictive. 
I'm on the 3rd book of "The Strain Trilogy" right now, bringing this back to "audio/IEM talk" I love using the Klipsch X10's with my audiobooks since the oval silicone tips are so comfortable over long periods of use. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 270
  To the OP- I thought you wrote a very nice and well thought out review.  This is exactly what head-fi needs more of.  Good job!

Spyro- we all know you are absolutely sure you love whatever you happen to own at the moment.  That is the fun of head-fi. 

Well,  aside from your sarcasm, it's not really "at the moment."  Your comment leans towards "this is my new toy and favorite IEM for right now."  That's fine, but this ain't my first rodeo bro.

In the past 2 months I have owned W40, SE846, W60 and W30.  I have been VERY specific about my thoughts and impressions and why I like what I like.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 270
Hi all thanks for your input and kind words regarding my review. i dont visit the site nearly as much as i used to as the hobby has made way to other things like kids, work and motorbikes. however i decided on the purchase of the w40 because although the hobby has all but been removed from my life i still appreciate a good set of in ears.

i can say im still enjoying the w40. The highs are often suprising me with the clarity and presentation considering the monitor is very warm sounding. i find the bass is powerful when called for by the music, even tho some music the bass can intrude on some music i never find it off putting and it does give a fuller vocal presentation.

my one complaint so far would be the different colour monitor covers are making me nervous. if i press the earbuds deeper into my ears i can hear a click where my finger is pressing the plastic cover in as if it isnt totally flush on the headphone. its a bit annoying but has no effect on the overall use maybe i should stop pushing on them in my ear but its the natural place the push in from.

anybody else had this?

EDIT: just changed back to black and deliberately did them rather tight and theres no odd clicking when i press them now. maybe i just didnt screw them tight enough. i didnt want to over tighten incase of damage to the housing but seems better now so no issues for me now.

EDIT 2:

Scrap that. its still there regardless of tightness. only right earpiece. its not something im going to worry about but i do think westone should have chose a colour and stuck to it as having seperations in the housing is asking for issues

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 270
Hmm, that's odd as I have none of the clicking. That said, I have never taken the black faceplates off the IEMs yet. 

I am however looking to collect (buy)  a few of the faceplates from people if they want to get rid of them.  I plan to paint them to add my own touch to the IEMs.  Or add a small decal of some sort.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 270
The W40 is a gem, I really dont like in-ears cause it hurt my ears really quick but this thing is really comfortable. I'm contemplating if I need my Alpha Dog after owning this :/ i really like the Alpha dog though.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 270
I own a Fiio X5 and a pair of W40 and I am really enjoying (even just now that I am writing this reply).
I am also thinking to try a Fiio E12 too as some of you suggested.
Thanks for the nice review!

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 270
I own a Fiio X5 and a pair of W40 and I am really enjoying (even just now that I am writing this reply).
I am also thinking to try a Fiio E12 too as some of you suggested.
Thanks for the nice review!

Tha E12 is sweet as it not only improves upon the power/control of most DAP's but also allows you to use most full sized can's (drives the HE-500's just fine) with your portable player. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #24 of 270

Tha E12 is sweet as it not only improves upon the power/control of most DAP's but also allows you to use most full sized can's (drives the HE-500's just fine) with your portable player. 

Thanks, you confirm what I was suspecting: I tried my X5 with a pair of Sennheiser Momentum, and it did not seem to have enough power for them. Will definily put the E12 on my list... along with the related accessories for binding it to the X5.

Thanks for your comment, KLJTech
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #26 of 270
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the Epic Cable. On the cable connectors, there are some dots. One side has one dot, the other connector has two dots. I'm guessing that this indicates which cable goes to the left channel and which to the right channel. Does any one know which is which? I've searched for an answer but haven't found one.

Does anyone know? Thanks guys, just want to make sure I have it right.

UPDATE:
OK so I emailed Westone Customer service and right after I hit send, I realized I could test this on my own. (Brain not working...)

I pulled up this You tube video and tested it by switching the MMCX Connectors to each IEM (L/R)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTvJoYnpeRQ

So there you have it. Make sure you have your W40s properly connected to the correct channel on the Epic Cable :D

Cable Connectors
ONE DOT: Right Channel

TWO DOTS: Left Channel

Any easy way to remember it is to "be sure to hook up the right one" :wink:

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #28 of 270
So I got these bad boys delivered yesterday (for £260/$424) and have been listening for a few hours now. Firstly, compared to my W3's the breadth of sound is amazing. The bass is so tight. However, I've got a couple of nagging issues; firstly the sound seems slightly more centered to the right. At first I wondered if there was a problem with one of the left side drivers but it seems like all the frequencies are being reproduced. It's odd and quite subtle. I now think it may be to do with the isolation of the left tip. I'm using the red true-fits which seem a bit softer than the comply pros I was using on the W3s (I'm going to experiment with the tips when I get back home). So I'm hoping it's something as simple as that. I'm also going to try testing the frequency response just to be sure.

But here's another thing when I listen to AC/DC's Highway to Hell LP Bon Scott's vocals seem way more recessed than on the W3's on some tracks you can barely pick him out. The guitars and drums are fine, it's just his voice. I don't seem to have experienced the same issue with any other music so far. I've checked to make sure the cable is connected correctly (1 dot right). Finally, they take a lot more driving on my DX50. With my W3's the volume was about 200, with the W40s I have it set around 225. I've tried it with an an amp too (BioScienceGeek's with a custom amp-op) and that sounds gorgeous (I guess at  31ohms they take some extra power).

Anyhoo, that's my initial experience. I really hope there's nothing wrong with them because then I'd have to send them back (to Hong Kong!) - they do have a 24 month warranty though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #29 of 270
  when I listen to AC/DC's Highway to Hell LP Bon Scott's vocals seem way more recessed than on the W3's on some tracks you can barely pick him out. The guitars and drums are fine, it's just his voice. I don't seem to have experienced the same issue with any other music so far. I've checked to make sure the cable is connected correctly (1 dot right).
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers.

That's the difference in the 2 sound signatures.  W3 is more v-shaped with a recessed midrange.  W40 is flatter with a more forward (or much more present) midrange.  Vocals are sensational with W4 and W40.  Best ever IMHO.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 270
That's the difference in the 2 sound signatures.  W3 is more v-shaped with a recessed midrange.  W40 is flatter with a more forward (or much more present) midrange.  Vocals are sensational with W4 and W40.  Best ever IMHO.

But why only AC/DC?? (so far)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back