Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #2,746 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget that different tips make a huge difference in the sound as well! i hope you've tried some?

Oh, I've absolutely tried different tips, but I think my opinion on tips may be a bit different than the general opinion around here.

I find the differences in sound characteristics between different types of tips to be quite insignificant compared to the difference in sound between two different sets of IEMs. Sure, there's a difference; but comparatively speaking, it's pretty subtle. For instance, the worst sounding tips I could try in my UM3X still sound better than the best sounding tips in my SA6. That's not to say that the SA6 sound bad...far from it! It's just that the effect is minimal in comparison. In fact, unless I'm really listening for it and comparing back-to-back, the difference is pretty difficult to detect.

Also, it's been a challenge for me to find IEM tips that, to me, are truly comfortable. I've never really liked silicone tips because there's always a little bit of molding flash around the outer diameter that irritates my ear canal (except for the Klipsch oval gels...those are magical). Likewise, the multiple edges on the bi- and tri-flanges are also uncomfortable (again, except for Klipsch). Additionally, silicone tips have a tendency to make my ears feel itchy (surprise, surprise...Klipsch to the rescue!). I never liked the Shure black olive foams because I felt that the foam was too firm and put too much pressure on my ear canal, and deep insertion wasn't an option because if the whole piece of foam was in my ear, the back edge would irritate my skin. I love the portability and isolation of IEMs, but I've never had a pair that I could wear for more than an hour or two at a time without having to take a break due to irritation.

The UM3X with the Comply tips have completely changed that for me. I've worn them for several hours at a time without even noticing them there. They're easily the most comfortable set of IEMs or canalphones I've ever worn, and the Comply tips are significantly softer (with much slower compression recovery) than the Shure black olive foams. I either own or have owned the V-moda Vibe, Ety ER-6i, Altec Lansing iM716, JVC Marshmallows, Sleek SA6, Klipsch Custom-2, and now the UM3X, and the comfort on the UM3X and Klipsch are in a completely different league from the rest in my experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, although I do notice that there is a slight difference in sound between tips, I'm willing to make the sacrifice so that I can enjoy my music longer. I certainly wouldn't classify any of the discomfort as pain, but it detracts from my enjoyment of the music much more than a slight degradation in sound quality would. If I'm worrying about poor fit and discomfort, I'm not relaxing and enjoying the music...and that's really what it's all about for me.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #2,748 of 4,413
I have had the UM3X tucked away for a month and have been listening exclusively to W3. It has been a nice change. But I just went back to UM3X and I'm 100% fully convinced that there are 2 specific things that UM3X does better than any other IEM I have heard (and the list is long).

Timbre/decay of instruments and instrument separation. It is so dead-nuts on it is astonishing!

I find the UM3X the IEM to use when you want to listen loud and really concentrate on the music and playing picking pepper out of fly sh** on the recording. I suppose that is why it is a monitor.

W3 is more of a step back and enjoy the whole spectrum and presentation sort of sound. Can't argue with either. It's almost what mood you are in. When I am learning and listening to new music I use the W3 at a moderate volume and when I want to just rock out and listen to the musicianship/playing, it's the UM3X.

I guess I am making an argument for myself that ya' need both!

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2,749 of 4,413
just got my ALO Rx amp... it's taken the UM3X to a whole new level, and it's not even burned in yet.

more later, as i get more listening in.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2,750 of 4,413
Been listening to mine for 2 weeks now
darthsmile.gif

So my old gear, 2G touch > P-51/Mini3 > shure310
New Gear Sony X1061 > (have amp, havent used it yet) UMX3's

I friggen love them, everything just sounds better, bass is just about perfect, and there is SO much more of it there than anything else I have listened to. its not overpowering, its just ALL there.
Mids and highs to me are very natural, well balanced i guess one would say. i am hearing so much more detail ( even things I had not heard before...) .
Right now I am using the Shure small balck foam tips, Havent played with any others. I do think that the hights are a bit dull, lack sparkle if you will, but I know the tips have a lot to do with that so I will hold off judgement till i play around with them some more.

These are bitter sweet for me, now that I know how much better a good IEM can make things, i am seriously considering stepping up to some high dollar customs ( JH-13's or such ) for home use.

Quote:

Next on my list, I need to get myself a RSA P-51 Mustang to pair with 'em.

Hey, I have a MINT P-51 for sale. check the clasifieds!

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #2,751 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by H22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I have a MINT P-51 for sale. check the clasifieds!

Gotta' love the price, but the color just doesn't suit me.
frown.gif

After a great deal of research, I'm pretty much torn between the Shadow and the P-51 Mustang now.

I love the diminutive size of the Shadow (although I'm not turning my nose up at the tiny P-51, either), the digital volume control, and the reported 72 hour battery life. Plus, I hear that the Shadow sounds even better than the Mustang!
eek.gif

The P-51 is attractive because of the gain selection and the reported synergy with UM3X. Considering my current headphone inventory, I'd really only be using the new amp with the UM3X, but I don't know what my inventory will look like in a year, so it'd be nice to leave my options open with the gain switch.

I also hear that the sound difference between the two is very minimal, although I haven't been able to read many direct comparisons between them. Generally speaking, it seems that the Shadow (just barely) wins the SQ war, but the Mustang seems to have just slightly stronger bass and highs, which would be desirable for me while paired with the UM3X.

Has anybody heard both amps with the UM3X and have any comments to share?

I'd love to purchase both and sell the loser, but I don't have the funds available now. I'd probably want to keep 'em both, anyway...
atsmile.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #2,753 of 4,413
Clip+ has zero hiss with UM3X, support ogg and flac. have expansion slot.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #2,754 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clip+ has zero hiss with UM3X, support ogg and flac. have expansion slot.

I don't know if I'd say 'zero' (I do hear some, but very little) -- I also hear some electronic chatter when tracks change.

That said, I'm very happy with the Clip+ with UM3X.

The hiss was much more annoying on my laptop, so I got a USB/DAC amp (iBasso D4) which was a very big improvement (again, 'very little' hiss, and a much better sound).

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #2,755 of 4,413
Well, I took the plunge and ordered The Shadow to go with my UM3X on Monday. It's now Thursday, and the amp has finally arrived!

First impressions are very positive! The most noticeable improvement is that The Shadow increases the depth and impact of the bass without adding any bloat; my main goal in purchasing this amp. The bass is still tight and fast, but now features a killer wallop. This combination is in serious danger of surpassing my desktop rig. I can't even imagine how good it's going to sound after it's finished burning in...

Additionally, no review or pictures have been able to truly prepare me for exactly how small this amp really is. If you were to fold a Sansa Fuze in half so that the screen is on the front and the controls on the back, it would be pretty close to the same size. Seriously, it's tiny. Ray Samuels is a genius.

This amp is exactly what I was looking for to pair with the UM3X! Highly recommended!

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2,756 of 4,413
hey guys! was thinking of getting a pair of UM3x, have been reading alot (my sister complains i hog the computer) about w3 and um3x and i still can't make a decision! i had sf5p (it broke) sf3 and i have the sf5v2 now. i've always enjoyed the sparkle but i'm wondering if there are any converts out there who miss the highs and go back. i'm a musician and i play live sometimes with monitors but in terms of enjoyment factor(enjoyment, not fun) how do um3x and w3 compare?

also i've heard people say the um3x is overly thick.. i'm just wondering how the monitors can be thick and detailed at the same time and when the 'highs are rolled off' is there really a missing hole on top of the spectrum? I NEED HELP DECIDING!

i also want to move to westone because my friend owns a pair of um2's and i liked the sound (that caused me to get my sf3). but after i got the UEs, westones started to sound dull. i'm all in for the um3x but i worry about that apparent 'lack of highs' and i wonder how do the mids compare, people say um3x have a bumped and clear mids and the w3 are extended in the highs and lows, but how do both mids compare in terms of detail and smoothness?

I NEED HELP THANKS GUYS

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #2,757 of 4,413
hmm this is rather hard. You're listening style, and earphone preference of the SF5P, and SF5 and your seeking of "enjoyment" and more dynamical choice in sounds points you to the Westone 3. However, your status as a musician and playing live points you to the UM3X....

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #2,758 of 4,413
UM3X is thicker compare to etymotic hf5 that is for sure, you might want to look into PFE which has more sparkle than UM3X. the trade off is you will need some amping or DAP with good power to show its potency in good bass.

I have PFE but I didn't use it that much these days after get used to the sound of UM3X.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #2,759 of 4,413
I just received mine 6 days ago and i'm still in awe at the clarity and accuracy of these little gems! And i got mine at a discounted price of USD$289 on earphonesolutions! Completely pwns the SE210 i was using previously! 184 pages of recommendations can't be wrong!
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #2,760 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm this is rather hard. You're listening style, and earphone preference of the SF5P, and SF5 and your seeking of "enjoyment" and more dynamical choice in sounds points you to the Westone 3. However, your status as a musician and playing live points you to the UM3X....

True.

If this helps....

W3 sounds quite close to an improved Super Fi Pro where UM3X sounds quite close to an improved UM2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back