Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2,656 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jussssss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Sladeophile you should also consider getting the fit kit or shure tips to go with it!

fwiw, I'm not into the Westone Fit Kit because once you pick the tips you like, you can't later get more of just those.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #2,657 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally dislike the cables. They do tend to get tangled and knotted even when kept in a special case. I'd just be careful not to let them unwind.

I just want to add that many people specifically cite Westone cables as a particular plus of Westone IEMs -- of course, not everybody will agree.

btw, what's the 'theory' behind the braided cable? ie, what's the reason(s) for that approach?

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #2,658 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw, I'm not into the Westone Fit Kit because once you pick the tips you like, you can't later get more of just those.

i got the Shure fit kit... all of the included sleeves are available separately.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2,659 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the Shure fit kit... all of the included sleeves are available separately.

I gather this is the Shure fit kit you have in mind:
Shure - QuietSpot Fit Kit

fwiw, the Westone fit kit is down this page, under "UNIVERSAL FIT PACK":
REPLACEMENT TIPS FOR IN EAR MONITORS

I wonder if the 'bullets' and 'silicone' tips in the Westone kit are the same as those in the Shure. The other main difference is that the Westone kit includes Comply foam tips (rather than the Shure yellows), and the triple flange.

But is that really $6 vs. $38 for roughly the same thing?

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2,660 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Do I need anything between the UM3X and my source to make these sound better? I understand you don't NEED the amp for the increase in volume, so I'm talking pure sound quality.

directly from my 5G iPod hp out, the occasional treble boost helps open the UM3X up, depending on the recording.

i have a friend's Xin Supermini IV on loan, and the improvement is significant. unfortunately i have to give it back, so i'm shopping for portable amps. after the Xin, i'll have to shop carefully so as not to be disappointed.

Quote:

2. I haven't owned a Westone product before, so is there anything I need to know about the construction, IE special treatment of the cables, any worry about the cable terminations, etc.

they are very tip, fit and insertion dependent... so you'll want to spend a bit of time experimenting with different sleeves. the included Comply foamies were unbearably muffled for me. i would have sent them back if i hadn't know try other tips.

Quote:

3. What kind of MP3 encoding quality could I get away with and not want to scratch my eyes out with these?

i try to avoid low bitrates, so can't help you here.

Quote:

4. What portable source jives best with the UM3X?

i'm a big fan of the iPod line out with an amp, haven't tried other portable sources.

Quote:

Glad to join the club, can't wait for these bad boys to get here.

can't wait to hear what you think!
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #2,661 of 4,413
Quote:

I gather this is the Shure fit kit you have in mind:
Shure - QuietSpot Fit Kit

fwiw, the Westone fit kit is down this page, under "UNIVERSAL FIT PACK":
REPLACEMENT TIPS FOR IN EAR MONITORS

I wonder if the 'bullets' and 'silicone' tips in the Westone kit are the same as those in the Shure. The other main difference is that the Westone kit includes Comply foam tips (rather than the Shure yellows), and the triple flange.

But is that really $6 vs. $38 for roughly the same thing?

you don't want that Shure kit... it's for the Shure e2c, with a different size nozzle than the other Shure.

this is the one i purchased: Shure Universal Fit Kit

the Westone fit kit has the Comply and tri-flange, which is probably why the price is higher... i wasn't interested in those.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #2,662 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you don't want that Shure kit... it's for the Shure e2c, with a different size nozzle than the other Shure.

this is the one i purchased: Shure Universal Fit Kit

the Westone fit kit has the Comply and tri-flange, which is probably why the price is higher... i wasn't interested in those.

Thanks for the correction -- but the pricing still seems weird, comapre:
Shure - QuietSpot Fit Kit ($6)

to:
Fit Kit for Shure "E" Series and Westone Earphones ($25)

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #2,663 of 4,413
Quote:

Thanks for the correction -- but the pricing still seems weird, comapre:
Shure - QuietSpot Fit Kit ($6)

to:
Fit Kit for Shure "E" Series and Westone Earphones ($25)

the only reason i can come up with is that there is such low demand for the e2c fit kit that they've lowered the price considerably.

all the other prices on the Shure website are in line with what you see at other retail sites.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #2,664 of 4,413
Sorry if its noise but would like ask...
If one likes the sound of SF5p/ATH ES9/7/M50s

Would the UM3x be somewhat of an upgrade while retaining the qualities of the sound that I'm accustomed to?

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #2,665 of 4,413
Sorry if its noise but would like ask...
If one likes the sound of SF5p/ATH ES9/7/M50s

Would the UM3x be somewhat of an upgrade while retaining the qualities of the sound that I'm accustomed to?

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #2,666 of 4,413
OK then, what tips are recommended with these? I might just go for the gold and get the UM56 anyway...

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #2,668 of 4,413
Quote:

btw, what's the 'theory' behind the braided cable? ie, what's the reason(s) for that approach?

The braid allows the cable to be more supple, flexible and stronger. The average single strand cable out today will do about 5-7k flexes. The braided cable will do over 60k flexes.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #2,669 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The braid allows the cable to be more supple, flexible and stronger. The average single strand cable out today will do about 5-7k flexes. The braided cable will do over 60k flexes.

Fair enough I suppose. Would it be possible for a tri or quad-braid approach for future cables like what the Enyo and Lune cables have? It'd help solve the untangling of the braid as well as adding some much needed heft.

Here's the cables

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2,670 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough I suppose. Would it be possible for a tri or quad-braid approach for future cables like what the Enyo and Lune cables have? It'd help solve the untangling of the braid as well as adding some much needed heft.

Here's the cables

cost might go up significantly also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back