Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #961 of 4,413
well, finally my UM3X are on their way to me
biggrin.gif
will up[date with impressions when they arrive.

how many times do people have to ask whether UM56 are worth it?? its sure getting old. YES they make a difference and not a small one. not least is extension in the lows and highs, comfort and of course soundstage is improved. no I havent heard them with UM3X yet, but thats how they react with every other IEM I have tried them with.

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #962 of 4,413
I think I'm going to pony up for the UM56... this recent ear problem just about convinced me I NEED them...
smily_headphones1.gif

I just have to figure out if silicone is indeed the culprit.... between silicone and vinyl I'm not sure which I should get.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #964 of 4,413
If they're harder, I wonder would they feel uncomfortable for sensitive ears?

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #966 of 4,413
Vinyl is harder than silicone, yes, but it softens when in contact with the human skin. Westone's full customs are, by default, made of acrylic (the drivers' shell) and vinyl (the part that goes into the ear canal).

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #968 of 4,413
I've been reading this thread with interest, and in some places amusement. Am I right in saying that UM3X use comply T100 foams and fit the Shure SE range of silicone tips? Not sure if I'll get on with complys or not and wondered what the alternatives are? UM56 when next rich relative dies...

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #969 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jodoog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For someone who appreciates bass, and wants something durable for jogging etc. would the UM3X be worth an extra £30-40 over the IE8 unamped?

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Depend on you are basshead or not, you wont go wrong with IE8 for bass.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #970 of 4,413
So for classical music with or without custom tips would you guys go for UM3X or W3??

I'm starting to wonder having read addict's long post whether my ho-hum feel with the UM2s is because they ARE monitors. That's all very well and good for quiet listening...but on the move that is a different story, especially without an amp.

It's funny because my UM2s sometimes sound extraodinarily good with some sources (hardware and music) and then sometimes it all just seems a bit nasally. Or the stereo is too harshly seperated. Can these monitors be too good/balanced/neutral for their own good? I know there is value in purity, and there is accuracy in timbre, but surely we want to get excited about the music too?

So, how does the UM2 stack up with the UM3X and W3 for classical music?? UM3X is only £50 more than the UM2 and I feel the UM2 is wildly overpriced so is it a real step up?

p.s. I'm probably getting the ACS custom sleeves for my UM2s so if I want to reuse them I guess i'll have no choice but to go with UM3x as an upgrade. Or just jump ship to IE8, TFpro, CK10
frown.gif
I just wish you could demo this stuff in the uk better.

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #971 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So for classical music with or without custom tips would you guys go for UM3X or W3??

I'm starting to wonder having read addict's long post whether my ho-hum feel with the UM2s is because they ARE monitors. That's all very well and good for quiet listening...but on the move that is a different story, especially without an amp.

It's funny because my UM2s sometimes sound extraodinarily good with some sources (hardware and music) and then sometimes it all just seems a bit nasally. Or the stereo is too harshly seperated. Can these monitors be too good/balanced/neutral for their own good? I know there is value in purity, and there is accuracy in timbre, but surely we want to get excited about the music too?

So, how does the UM2 stack up with the UM3X and W3 for classical music?? UM3X is only £50 more than the UM2 and I feel the UM2 is wildly overpriced so is it a real step up?

p.s. I'm probably getting the ACS custom sleeves for my UM2s so if I want to reuse them I guess i'll have no choice but to go with UM3x as an upgrade. Or just jump ship to IE8, TFpro, CK10
frown.gif
I just wish you could demo this stuff in the uk better.

I can't compare to the UM2. For classical the UM3X will be a little more involving and detailed in the violins than W3, which I heard when I played Arvo Part "Tabula Rasa" with them at CanJam. The W3 sound nice with that piece but they are a little more distant in the audience. It depends on what you like.

I AM planning to spend more time with UM3X soon, to do a more detailed impressions, but in the time I tried them I tried the above classical, Guinea Pig "Kool Cats" jazz, Sara K. and Jack Johnson. That was all I time for. I'm hoping more people will chime in here for you.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #972 of 4,413
Got my UM3X today, here are some short first impressions

Westone 3 has noticeably more treble in the 12-16kHz range as I can get similar treble by EQing UM3X. I have never found the Westone 3 treble to be fatiguing. I don't listen to classical music so I don't have any input there
confused_face.gif

The presentation of W3 and UM3X is very different in the mids. As some people have already said, W3 mids sound more distant as if I was setting a few rows away from the singer. UM3X sounds like I'm setting in front of the singer. I noticed this right away when I first put on the UM3X, it was that apparent to me (both using same tips, tried double flanges and grey silicon tips).

Sometimes I found the bass to be a bit too much on the W3 from the midbass hump. UM3X solves this for me, yet there is no lack of bass quantity or impact if the song calls for it. I don't really want anymore bass than what the UM3X has to offer, completely satisfied here

The build quality of the UM3X is not up to par compared to the Westone 3; UM3X is a little rough so to speak.

I have found the best tips for the UM3X to be the grey silicon tips and the shure black olive foam tips. The double flange tips that worked for me with the Westone 3 makes the mids sound too thick and a bit congested

So far I'm really liking the UM3X (very smooth mids) and I can't stop listening
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #973 of 4,413
Got mine today. A non-technical review...

*Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a $%#ing pogo stick, these are incredible!*

They do everything right -- adding and detracting nothing whatsoever. These are coherent and balanced. Accurate upper and lower extension and oh so smooth in between. They never come close to falling apart sonically when really pushed. Great out of my iPod, better when driven by a non-spectacular but clean amp like the TAH. Better still with my Cosmic. God only knows what my in-coming SR71-A will do. My only gripe is that there are at least 20 small spots on the cables between the phones and the "Y" where the black coating is missing. There is a grey undercoat so it is not bare. Doesn't seem to effect performance, but for the $$$ I would expect competent finish. These puppies are so damn comfortable right out of the box (with the shorties) that I have not bothered to experiment with different tips yet.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #974 of 4,413
Anyone uses his um3x with Shure Triple Flange Sleeves? I was going to buy the shure grey sleeves but shipping is too expensive everywhere. A comparison between complys and flange would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #975 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only gripe is that there are at least 20 small spots on the cables between the phones and the "Y" where the black coating is missing. There is a grey undercoat so it is not bare. Doesn't seem to effect performance, but for the $$$ I would expect competent finish.

Those spots are not where the black coating is missing. Those are grey markings on the cable to allow westone to determine the polarity of the braided cables quickly so as to speed up assembly/repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back