Westone UM3X - Quite possibly the end of my IEM adventure
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

McCol

Headphoneus Supremus
For the last 6 years or so like so many others on here I have been trying to find the IEM that brings me the ultimate listening experience.   I think with the UM3x i may have found that.

Took delivery of these a few days ago and have been simply amazed by all aspects of this IEM.  Fit, isolation, design and sound quality.  There's not much I can add to what others have said in various threads on how these sound, the only thing I would say is that IMO and to my ears I dont find that they lack anything,  some say that they are a 'boring' iem and lack sparkle.  Not for me, find myself beaming when listening to them, the detail and instrument separtation is second to none for me.  They may lack a little depth compared to my IE8 but more than make up for it in other areas.

Tried many iem's over the last few years and have enjoyed the majority of them, have also enjoyed the excitment of trying out different iem's and their sound signatures.   Some of my favourites have been the the Shure 530, ety er4p/s, Ortofon e-q7 and the Senn IE8.  Also tried the Triple fi's which I adored but had terrible fit problems with and the MTPC which I didnt really get what the fuss was all about, also had fit problems with these.  Couple that have really impressed and gave hours of listening pleasure were the Phonaks and Atrio M5 but both lacked a certain something to make them keepers.

Will keep hold of my IE8 as I really enjoy the wide warm sound from them but will probably sell on the Ety hf5 and Panasonic HJe900.

I feel now that I have no need to try anything else, the Westone brand was one of the few I hadnt tried and now that I have, I cant see me wanting/needing anything else.  Will still browse the forums to keep abreast of whats happening in the iem world.

Only decision now is wether to order ACS tips for the um3x or try the um56 tips.  Got the ACS sleeves for my IE8 and very happy with them so may stick them unless I read of a major reason to go with the UM56.

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Haha dont be too sure bro, from your item list can see that you "might" upgrade sooner or later~~ ^^Y

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
For the last 6 years or so like so many others on here I have been trying to find the IEM that brings me the ultimate listening experience.   I think with the UM3x i may have found that.

That is exactly what i said when i bought my Um3x few days after it was released.. It is really very good sounding IEM and has good synergy with Sony X. But as it is with Head - fi i am looking to upgrade to ES5 now. So for now enjoy um3x for a while .. you may end upgrading as well...
dt880smile.png

PS: Try getting Etymotic bi-flanges ( the gray ones) they seal better and sound incredible with great isolation and comfort

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 6
I said the same thing then after owning UM3X for 6 months I realized there was too much headstage and not enough soundstage, plus I was missing "sparkle" in the treble.  Went back to W3, then to SE535 both which offer that..  UM3X still a fantastic IEM....just being picky.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 6
I have thought about customs in the past, but they are just too costly here in the UK.  Also I'm more than happy with custom tips.  I'm also not convinced that the massive price difference yields enough sound quality improvment.

@Spyro
At the moment the soundstage for me is perfect.  Its the old addage though I suppose where we all hear things a bit different.  I know I should never say never but I have never been as happy with iem's as I am at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back