Westone UM3 vs UM2
Sep 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 13
If you can reach, the SM3 is reputed to be better than the UM3X, it's a little more but it's really one of the best IEM's until you get to customs.

The UM3X IS worth the money, it's just that it nags at you when you know there is other stuff that is more highly acclaimed. I've never heard the SM3 myself though.

I really did like the UM3X, I just had to part with it since it was kind of expensive to keep. The UM2 though, is great, Westone really backs it's products well too and I think they're pretty attractive IEM's.

I sometimes regret not getting the Westone 2 instead, but the UM2 has way lots of bass already and I didn't want to go beyond that.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 13
If you're not analyzing music, It's best to go cheaper if you're afraid of spending more

As long as your job doesn't depend on the tool, buy a cheaper (but good one) to enjoy

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 13
The UM3x (highely recommended over Westone 2) offers stunning instrument separation, imaging and placement with very detailed midrange, clear highs and punchy bass.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 13
UM3X is superior in instrument separation and very tight but being a monitor it sounds a little "dull."  UM2 is also a monitor but it's a little looser sounding and more musical IMHO.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
yes the um3x is worth the extra.

the um2 is about as boring as music has ever been.  a friend described it well in one word. 

Tepid.

Tepid?  Yes...agreed.  UM2 is a warm sounding IEM.  mark2410, weren't you one the the first to coin UM3X as dull and dead sounding?...or maybe it was someone else?

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 13
I've only tried the UM3x once, and that was once on my Sony Walkman, and it sounds extremely nice. Great build quality and sound, a beautiful pairing indeed. Highly recommended.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Tepid?  Yes...agreed.  UM2 is a warm sounding IEM.  mark2410, weren't you one the the first to coin UM3X as dull and dead sounding?...or maybe it was someone else?

oh that was probably me, im no big fan of the um3x but i do recognise its very acomplished at what it does.  the UM2 though while capable is so boring and doesnt offer the best detail retrieval, its expensive to boot.  the UM3x is a clear step up form it.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I think he had an epiphany when he tried the um3x with the Sony X.

while they pair very very well im still no lover of the um3x, tbh it was the fault of theso who waxed lyrical about how its mids were everbit as good as the 530 etc etc and it just was not true.  i accept its good and id grant it top teir status, i cannot say i loved it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back