Westone Um2, what DAP should i buy?
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Groomz

New Head-Fier
Greetings..

First post here, and now upgrading my audio/sound intrest from home equitment, to some portable rigs
wink.gif

4 days ago i bought UM2, and are now waiting for them to arrive...soo looking forward to it! I have a i pod 2generation 40gb DAP, but im thinking about buying a new one.

As far is i have found out, Clix 2 and NWZ-S618F seems like two great players. But in the long run, im thinking to buy an amp, and as far is i understand - i would not be able to use the amp with these two players? - no option for "line-out"

Then an ipod or another player i can mod/make a line out, would be a more sensible choice?

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 10
Cowon D2 synergies well with UM2, amped with Headsix.
I heard this combo before, and I love it

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Nano 1st gen with Hornet or Move synergize well with the UM2....very well I may add.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 10
The UM-2 can pick up hiss from just about any DAP. I tried the new Sony's
with them but ended up getting an Classic 160 Ipod.
With the volume turned down it sounds great.

Also an amp really helps with Hiss. X2 on the Move UM-2 synergy sounds great.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 10
um... i had the um2 with d2 and did not really like it but it was not bad. if you have used balanced armatures before then you are probably fine but some of us find armatures very fatiguing. my ears will produce tinnitus within 20 minutes at even the lowest volumes with the um2 and within 10 for the er4s.

the d2 is already a slightly fatiguing pmp - add that to a fatiguing set of um2 and have fun. and as mentioned, they hiss from any source. i haven't heard hiss from direct from my usb transit and from md portable players, but other than that, they will hiss like a snake with any portable. d2 no exception but not bad (slightly less than an ipod)

the um2 have a nice midrange that is warmish but overall, they are balanced arm sound - so be ready for fatigue in case you are sensitive to it. the sony players do have a less fatiguing sound do to a more neutral output but the mids of the um2 will sound better with d2. (i dold them both - um2 i replaced with atrio m5 (could not be happier) and d2 with an ipod - could not be happier)

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 10
I find the 1G iPod nano and 5G iPod to be a great match with the UM2. Recommended!

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 10
I find the manual EQ of Sony A818 to work well with the UM2.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks...Will look into the different players. Plan to run around and test the um2 with different dap players
wink.gif

And have heard that the hiss would be reduced with a Level Attenuator. So i might try that
wink.gif

To bad there arent many players out there with Line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back