Westone UM2 Upgrade
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

globiboulga

100+ Head-Fier
Been using UM2 for the past 2 years and I am looking at getting a new pair of universal IEMs... I also have a pair of Shure (E3c).
I intend to pair the headphones, primarily with a Cowon S9 and, sometimes, through a headsix (or Corda Move if I'm at home).

I was looking to get the Westone UM3X, but I am curious as to what other options would exists (around the $300 mark) and what people would think would make a good upgrade.

I don't especially like the Shures, one because of the over exposed mids (and lack of bass) and second because of the very average build quality, so I am not very keen to get the 530...

Soundwise, I like balanced sound, with a preference for slightly recessed highs (it does tend to fatigue me a bit), but with Cowon, I still have the options to EQ that out... Listen to a lot of Progressive rock and pop. Some classical on occasion as well.

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 8
CK100 and UM3x are detailed IEMs(clear Midrange, highs and great bass extension) But i think if you liked UM2 sound signature then W3 will be better upgrade it's overall balanced IEMs and it share same sound signature of UM2.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Westone 3's my friend. As good as it gets. Or for a more neutral sound, try the um3x. You might like the 3's much better, though because of the punchier bass.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 8
UM3X sounds like UM2, but better with a cleaner sound, tighter bass, slightly more realistic soundstage and better treble quality and presence. Westone 3 sounds very different, at least with the stock tips - more upper bass and an elevated treble response with the midrange pushed further back into the mix. Personally, I much prefer UM2/UM3X neutral, accurate sound to that of overly colored (IMO) Westone 3 sound. Shure SE530 sounds much closer to the UM2/UM3X than Westone 3 as well but has an even better midrange reproduction than the Westones IMO. The treble on the SHures may be too rolled off for some, but from my experience it sounds just fine when the fit is good. However, I think it's much harder to get a good fit with SE530 than with UM3X, so I would get the UM3X, unless you can get some custom tips that is. Then I would get SE530 with custom tips.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for that. Not ready yet to go to custom, so it looks like the safe choice is the UMX3...

BTW anyone could tell me what kind of sound one would expect from the future Grado IEMs (based on full cans?)... I am quite curious about these...
o2smile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 8
guess it's a bit off topic but will you be selling your um2's anytime soon then? because i would deinitely be interested assuming they are still in good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back