Westone UM2: The Forgotten "Classic"
Oct 15, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 31
I actually enjoyed the UM2 a lot since it was my first upper end IEM, agree with TCD1975, it is more laid back and very fun to listen to. Ever since upgrading to the Um3x, it was a whole new level, more clarity and balance which i prefer more and matches my music preference compared to the Um2. But the UM2 are definitely bang for buck as a entry IEM.
Quote:
That's that exact opposite of what I said. The UM2 is more open ... but I've grown to prefer the closed in, but highly detailed, UM3x sound.

If you want a more laid back "fun" sounding IEM the UM2 is a greatchoice (and at a great price)  but I peronally prefer the UM3x for it's detail.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 31
Spyro,

Is there any difference between the UM2 you previously owned and the one you own now in terms of appearance? I notice the older ones had a clear stress relief and orange comply tips while the newer ones have a black stress relief with gray comply tips. Is it possible that newer ones sounds better or different than the older one?

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 31
Oh yes, the UM2. I also prefer UM2 sound over that of UM3X, W3 and ES3X. I do think W4 clearly sounds better though. I may take UM2 over the SE530 in the long run though as well. The UM2 is really a well balanced and natural sounding IEM.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Spyro,

Is there any difference between the UM2 you previously owned and the one you own now in terms of appearance? I notice the older ones had a clear stress relief and orange comply tips while the newer ones have a black stress relief with gray comply tips. Is it possible that newer ones sounds better or different than the older one?

I have black stress relief, gray complys.  But I am using tri flange with smallest flange cut off and bottom stem cut just a mm or 2 less than flush with bottom largest flange.  It sounds fantastic.  No blowin' smoke.  This is a fantastic IEM, just need to use a touch of treble eq boost.  I don't have them side by side but like Pianist says I think I may take it over UM3X which I owned for about 9 months total at 2 different times.  Perfect tonality, fullness and naturalness is the best adjectives I could describe UM2.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 31
I love my UM2's.
Sometimes their slightly rolled-off highs and warmth are just perfect for a laid-back mood. And no, I'm not kidding. I've had them for years and they are going nowhere.
ksc75smile.gif

Nice to see them getting some respect.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #22 of 31
Now I'm getting curious about these - I've tried the UM3X, W1, W2 and W3 in the past and they really didn't do it for me. The UM2 might just be the more musical counterpoint to the GR07 which is currently my main IEM. How much is the usual price on these nowadays? They're available in my country for about $250ish.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
This is a fantastic IEM, just need to use a touch of treble eq boost. 

Hey Spyro,

just curious what you have set for your treble EQ boost in your iPod.  And FWIW the UM2s are fantastic IEMs.

Cheers.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
Just the standard "treble booster" setting on the Ipod.   No special software

Okay thanks.  Thought you might have a customized equaliser setting.

Cheers.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 31
For anyone that cares, the JH5 is just like the UM2 with a larger frequency range and a bit more treble.  So if you really like UM2, you could consider JH5 it's bigger brother.  Very worthy upgrade.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
Just the standard "treble booster" setting on the Ipod.   No special software

Just tried that but found it too much for my ears.  It might be because I use the Comply TX100s which already open up the treble and are the best sounding tips I have had for my UM2s.  Adding even more sparkle wasn't necessary.

Cheers.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 31
Well that's great.  Most people #1 reaon for not liking UM2 is rolled off highs.

But it's the most natural sounding sound sig of any IEM in my sound profile.  That's the huge advantage it has over W2.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 31
Great thread! Glad this was bumped or I would have never stumbled upon it.

So, does the UM2 still have great sound out of the stock grey tips? Don't like foam tips; don't think I ever will.

May have to give these a shot. In debate between them and the RE272.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #30 of 31
[size=small][size=10pt]wow..............a very enticing thread to say the least.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]I purchased my Triple FI 10s on here about 18 months ago and they were great for me but i am afraid i have damaged them now and they need replacing.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]I have been reading as much as i can about the Shure 315s, TF10s, Westone 2's and now the UM2s.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]Honestly, im a bit unsure what to do but this thread is giving me a bit of direction.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]I dont want to go backwards in terms of quality but i do love a full cohesive sound, as i listen to a lot of stoner/hard rock, metal and acoustic material.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]i do use my IEMS for running occasionally and had a few problems with the TF10s staying in my ears.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]Im honestly thinking about now going down the UM2 path instead of the Shure path.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]Anyone care to give an opinion on what they think will suit me best?[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]I mainly use my iPod 80gb and my iPhone when i run.[/size][/size]
[size=small][size=10pt]Do travel on trains and things like that so noise cancellation would be also something that i think is important.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]Cheers people.[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back