Westone UM2 - My Impressions
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #31 of 51
Well I have only ever owned the Shure E4G and Westone UM2. I just do not touch my Shure's now and I am on the verge of selling them or giving them to my brother

I don't get the criticism regarding the clarity but then again my experience is limited. I will be sticking with the UM2's for a long time now. I have no idea when I will be able to afford customs

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have only ever owned the Shure E4G and Westone UM2. I just do not touch my Shure's now and I am on the verge of selling them or giving them to my brother

I don't get the criticism regarding the clarity but then again my experience is limited. I will be sticking with the UM2's for a long time now. I have no idea when I will be able to afford customs

What is it that you prefer about the UM2s over the Shures that has you using them almost exclusively? By the way, I don't really understand the Shure criticism either, I really like the treble. Maybe that's where my preference is superseding my judgment of acoustic accuracy. Also, I haven't really heard any of the really bright, analytical IEMs, like Etymotic.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #33 of 51
Do remember I have not got hold of any of the current Shure range

Firstly I find it a lot easier to simply insert the UM2's. From a convenience point of view I don't bother with the E4G's.

Secondly, since I wrote the above linked post, I finally got hold of olive tips. They are the best tips I have tried and with my UM2's are an unrivalled combination. Comfort and fit wise they surpass other tips (although I can tell small sized tips are a touch tight in my right ear, so my body is saying, nay demanding I get customs lol
biggrin.gif
).
The improved fit only accentuates all the good points of the UM2's sound for me.
But I will say bass response was better with the olive tips on the E4G's, though still six degrees from the UM2's. However I have to admit that, dammit vocals through the olive tips from the E4G's were nearly melting my heart
biggrin.gif
Very close to redemption. But music feels closer and more intimate on the UM2's and as an overall package the UM2's still win,...
But the way I am going on it sounds like I would possibly love the SE530's?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

For what it is worth the UM2's are not perfect but you have to draw lines somewhere and compromise and maybe I will find perfection if I get customs

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do remember I have not got hold of any of the current Shure range

Firstly I find it a lot easier to simply insert the UM2's. From a convenience point of view I don't bother with the E4G's.

Secondly, since I wrote the above linked post, I finally got hold of olive tips. They are the best tips I have tried and with my UM2's are an unrivalled combination. Comfort and fit wise they surpass other tips (although I can tell small sized tips are a touch tight in my right ear, so my body is saying, nay demanding I get customs lol
biggrin.gif
).
The improved fit only accentuates all the good points of the UM2's sound for me.
But I will say bass response was better with the olive tips on the E4G's, though still six degrees from the UM2's. However I have to admit that, dammit vocals through the olive tips from the E4G's were nearly melting my heart
biggrin.gif
Very close to redemption. But music feels closer and more intimate on the UM2's and as an overall package the UM2's still win,...
But the way I am going on it sounds like I would possibly love the SE530's?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

For what it is worth the UM2's are not perfect but you have to draw lines somewhere and compromise and maybe I will find perfection if I get customs

I see. The fit makes a huge difference with the Shures, no doubt. The SE530s are pretty amazing across the whole spectrum (assuming you aren't used to bright, full treble extension). A main difference that I see between the SE530s and the UM2s is the "closer feel" to the music you mentioned. Many IEMs position the soundstage so it feels the band is playing in the center of your brain. This is a problem for all IEMs to different degrees. However, one of the things Shure does best is create an expansive soundstage. The SE530s won't sound quite as "personal," but that's by design. They are airy and open. If you've ever listened to nice open soundstage phones like the full-size Sennheiser line (HD600 or HD650), you know what I mean by huge soundstage. The SE530s have some of the best you'll find anywhere in the IEM world. You might really like it, I sure do.

As far as customs, they will all offer a better fit (for a while at least), but they aren't all better then universals. The acoustics inside the custom mold have to be top notch too. Unless you are talking UE 10 or 11 Pros, you aren't going to beat the SE530s, in my opinion.

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530s cable is just horrible.
UM2 in that case is AWESOME.
Sound quality too is in par with SE530.

I can't comment on the UM2 quality as I haven't listened to them, but I will vehemently disagree with you on the "horrible" SE530 cable. I don't know if you have the older SE530 cabling or the newer, do you? I have the newer version and have not experienced any problem, especially compared to TRULY horrible microphonic cable like the Sennheiser CX500.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #38 of 51
I just recently got the Westone UM2' as an upgrade to the Creative EP-630 and wow! I can pick apart stuff in the music I wasn't able to separate before. Considering the immense differences in their prices though, I am not surprised.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're also worlds comfy-er than anything else out there.

UM1/2's were also the only IEM to fit my ear and get a good sound/seal. they are also the only IEM I ever fell asleep with them on, lol.

This is why I own them and use them about 8 hours a day. Comfort + laying on one's side = Zanth in heaven.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #40 of 51
This thread helped a lot... I am deciding between the SE530's and UM2's...

I'm actually going for comfort more than SQ... UM2's seem to have the best comfort with on par SQ to the SE530's...

I will probably have to go with the UM2's...

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #41 of 51
Without moving to customs, I can't see how the UM2's would lose out in the comfort department to any other universal. You will make a good choice going with them.

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #42 of 51
The only thing is, the SE530 has the "olive" foams from Shure which also seem to get a lot of praise around here too.

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MVPlaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing is, the SE530 has the "olive" foams from Shure which also seem to get a lot of praise around here too.

... and which will also fit on the Westone UM2 as they share the same nozzle dimensions.

The Westone also comes with 4 pairs (2 long, 2 regular) of Comply foamies, which are fairly similar - in fact they are even more soft and spongy than the olives.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and which will also fit on the Westone UM2 as they share the same nozzle dimensions.

The Westone also comes with 4 pairs (2 long, 2 regular) of Comply foamies, which are fairly similar - in fact they are even more soft and spongy than the olives.

So it comes down to sound quality when purchasing the two?

Essentially, you can use the Comply foamies on the SE530?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back