Westone UM2 - My Impressions
Jul 16, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
My reference point is in comparison to SE530 which I have been using regularly.

UM2 are very good sounding IEM’s. Initially, I wanted to refer to them as a “poor man’s SE530” but I can actually understand how some people might even PREFER their sound to SE530. This is initial impressions of A-B’ing between the two for 30 minutes or so un-amped with a 3G Nano on “Electronica” setting (best IMHO).

I find the bass, soundstage and sensitivity to be virtually the same. I wonder if some drivers are identical? It is that close. Not sure if it is midrange, treble or both but the only real difference I can hear is that there is a little more DETAIL with SE530 yet the CLARITY seems better with UM2. This may sound like a contradiction but I recall another poster’s comment stating SE530 detail seems artificial or plastic sounding. While I believe that’s a pretty critical comment on SE530 I can understand why one would say that. Like any IEM, the more detail that is revealed the more susceptible it is to unwanted harshness, graininess, siblance, too bright, etc. UM2 exhibits none of this (at least with Nano). It is creamy, buttery smooth with great clarity. Some may find the UM2 slightly "veiled" but you are still getting a hell of a lot of detail. I thought SE530 was the most non-fatiguing IEM I ever heard but UM2 takes it even a step further. You could listen to them 24 hours a day. I don’t find either IEM muddy. “Jazz” setting tames the bass down even a bit more without losing much of anything else. As time goes on perhaps I will miss the added detail of SE530 but I'll will say that UM2 are very enjoyable and easy to listen to.

Ergonomics-wise on UM2, I don’t care much for the cord. It seems rather light and cheap and I wish it were a tad longer. UM2’s are pretty small so I found them slightly more difficult to seat into your ears than SE530. Comfort between the two is same. I am still sampling but found little difference in sound between complys, foamies and tri flange so I will stick with what is most comfortable.

Not sure if I will keep the UM2’s because they sound so similar to SE530, yet they are a great back-up if you like that sound sig and could be used for rougher environments I suppose. SQ-wise, if I had to pick between the two I would still take SE530 but it is by a very small margin.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 51
I just bought the UM2s a couple weeks ago. I didn't have budget for the SE530s, but after reading your review I'm glad I went with the UM2s.

This is my first pair of audiophile earphones, and I am very pleased with them so far. The clarity is just incredible. Not once did they ever sound "challenged" by the music. Bass comes strong and true, combined with clean treble. It's so clear you can hear the compression artifacts of your music. There are sounds in songs which I never heard before.

No real complaints. My only "issue" is the time it takes to put them on. Never having IEMs before, I'm not used to the careful positioning and having to wrap the cord around your ear.. but these are not issues with the UM2s themselves.

FYI, for those who care, I use the "Treble Booster" EQ setting on my 2G Nano. I find this expands the top end a bit, since there's plenty of bass as it is.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zone555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the UM2s a couple weeks ago. I didn't have budget for the SE530s, but after reading your review I'm glad I went with the UM2s.

Not once did they ever sound "challenged" by the music. Bass comes strong and true, combined with clean treble.

That's a good point. Like the SE530, the UM2's do it effortlessly and with authority. Unamped, I always felt the Triple Fi's were a little challenged.

I fully agree with the praise Earphone Solutions gives the UM2.

I would imagine I will just sit tight with these two IEM's until either Westone 3 ever gets released or a dual driver from Etymotic.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 51
They're also worlds comfy-er than anything else out there.

UM1/2's were also the only IEM to fit my ear and get a good sound/seal. they are also the only IEM I ever fell asleep with them on, lol.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good point. Like the SE530, the UM2's do it effortlessly and with authority. Unamped, I always felt the Triple Fi's were a little challenged.

I fully agree with the praise Earphone Solutions gives the UM2.

I would imagine I will just sit tight with these two IEM's until either Westone 3 ever gets released or a dual driver from Etymotic.

Is Etymotic really working on a dual driver, or are you just a dreamer like the rest of us? Love my ER4P, but an Ety dual driver, oh my....

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 51
when I had UM2 I could wear them for hours, later on got ER4 P and couldn't believe how much they were uncomfortable. I didn't have both at same time, but I think I prefered the sound of ER4 P. The comfort has to go to UM2 and I don't think I have tryed any IEM that came close to comfort as UM2. I'm looking now for UM2...

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 51
RE: Ety dual driver - I am a dreamer and I suppose it is doubtful they will do it in the next decade since ER4P is a relatively new product made for the portable market.

I just find it odd that most people (even people that like Ety) think ER4P is bass shy and not full enough of a sound. So why don't they capitalize on that? What are they worried about? They have already strayed away from their trademark flat response once they deviated away from ER4S.

But I have every confidence in the world that they could make a phenommenal dual or triple driver that would kill SE530 and Triple Fi. I'd buy it in a heartbeat without hearing it or reading even one review.

I like ER4P but I think it lacks musicality and fullness of sound. An incredible monitor but only so-so fun listening.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 51
I am glad to see this thread. I have been saying for a while this IEM's are under rated. Just because they have been around for a while does not mean they are not one of the best.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad to see this thread. I have been saying for a while this IEM's are under rated. Just because they have been around for a while does not mean they are not one of the best.

Well that's the thing...it's been out over 4 years now. But I would say it kills everything in the Shure line-up beneath SE530.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Well that's the thing...it's been out over 4 years now. But I would say it kills everything in the Shure line-up beneath SE530.

4 years ain't nothing. The ER4-S has been out near 17 years and still beats everything if you want the kind of sound they produce.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 51
Update on the UM2's after a few days (all positive).

I was never a believer of burn-in. The research seems to say it is not a factor and I always assumed it was your ears getting acclimated to a new sound. But I am leaning more towards believing in some sort of "settling in" of the frequencies together and I think it can ocurr over the first 2-8 hours and not much thereafter. You see I have a very specific 10 second excerpt of music with drums and percussion I was curious about the UM2's handling. The SE530 does it spectacularly but the UM2's (out of box) sounded a little off and quite challenged. I let the UM2's play for about 10 hours on moderately loud volume overnight, came back and played the same excerpt A-B'ing between the two IEM's and it pretty much sounds identical at this point. Also the high's on UM2 have seem to come out a tad more. I believed a very similar thing happened with the SE530's somewhere within the first 10 hours. Placebo? Brain game? Perhaps, but I really think these things sound incredible. Makes me wonder what else is there to improve upon with Westone 3? I honestly am wondering what more I would want out of these? Maybe slightly more forward treble? But then there is a risk of added siblance/fatigue. Also has me curious why Westone 3 project was held back or delayed? Couldn't come up with THAT better of a sound to justify a 50% price jump? Just speculating of course.....

I actually love the cables now. Length is actually perfect, they are strong enough but less cumbersome than the Shures (when walking around or working out) which were my favorite. Call me insane but if I could reverse what I did and have my TF10's back instead of the UM2's I would not do it. I honestly prefer these.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Update on the UM2's after a few days (all positive).

Welcome to the dark side, Spyro. My experiences with UM2s were quite dubious at first but, like yourself - after an initial 10-15 hrs. an acclimation occurred and they just started sounding more and more impressive and remain my easy favorite today. Yes, occasionally it all comes crashing down, they sound too muddy, and I go through a round of Etys, my buds, my cans, and then settle back down to them and they sound - restored and sweet. I'm a bit surprised at your positive reactions (from your initial posts and reactions to UM1s, I expected disappointment for you), and take this as another small affirmation for not getting Shure E5xx instead (these seem to be so closely compared to UM2s, that unless you get a pair of each you'll probably never know...). As an added note, I use mine with softips that tighten the bass much like thistles -err, flanges, and are much easier to care & feed for, as well as quick & easy to insert and remove, and last a long time... Finally, the short insertion barrel is subject to 'aiming' and positioning and does impact soundstage and treble response - so a little experimentation is warranted - but, on the whole they are a set & forget IEM and wear easily for hours - no doubt from their on-stage monitoring heritage. Cheers.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 51
Yes, I thought UM1 sounded just like E3. Pretty much all midrange, few highs few lows and somewhat veiled. But even E3 to E4 was HUGE! The UM2 peels a couple layers from the veil, tips up the top and bottom which also seems to make for a larger soundstage. And it's all very natural sounding....smooth and creamy.

I seemed to have settled with Shure olive medium tips for now. I have a pair of bi-flange ER6i tips that work really well too.

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Yes, I thought UM1 sounded just like E3. Pretty much all midrange, few highs few lows and somewhat veiled. But even E3 to E4 was HUGE! The UM2 peels a couple layers from the veil, tips up the top and bottom which also seems to make for a larger soundstage. And it's all very natural sounding....smooth and creamy.

I seemed to have settled with Shure olive medium tips for now. I have a pair of bi-flange ER6i tips that work really well too.

I am a little between the TF10's and Westone UM2's, the price difference for new pair is about $40. Which one should i go with? i like bass. I like your positive comments, do you have the black or clear um2's?

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a little between the TF10's and Westone UM2's, the price difference for new pair is about $40. Which one should i go with? i like bass. I like your positive comments, do you have the black or clear um2's?

I'd go with the UM2s if I were you. Only because I'm in the market for the tf10s
wink.gif

In all honesty I think these phones will compare well with each other. I don't think there would be a significant difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back