Westone UM1s vs. UE Superfi 5 pro
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chongy5

100+ Head-Fier
I'm beginning to decide between these two.

Which would be best overall for:

Good amounts of bass (possibly the SF5p EB a contender here?)
Minimal microphonics
Comfortable
Good noise attenuation

I've decided against the ER4p because I'm dissuaded by the comments on it being too analytical.

Music is primarily rock/indie and electronic, driven with a Sony A818.

TIA.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 8
I've heard SF5P but not UM1. SF5P has plenty of bass and good overall sound, although low-mid seems to have a lot of emphasis and there's some rolloff on the high end. I haven't heard UM1's but I think most people will tell you the SF5P sound is better. The trick is the comfort. I had a hard time finding a good, consistent seal with the SF5P and they weren't very comfortable. People say Westones are the most comfortable IEMs on the market.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Comfort: UM1's by a wide margin.

Sound: SFP's by a wide margin. Bigger bass, bigger soundstage, more detailed highs and a more dynamic sound. A little unrefined sounding but still pretty darn good in the under $200 category.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 8
I had UM1s and sold them for SF5Ps (after having both in my possession for a while).

The UM1s are simply unsurpassed for comfort and build quality and have much better cabling and microphonics, but the SF5Ps beat them sonically. That's just about the only area in which they're better.

That said, the SF5Ps were unlistenable after I heard the ER-4P.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, the SF5Ps were unlistenable after I heard the ER-4P.

Why so? I'm still considering the ER4p if you can persuade me so
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 8
ER4P's are great!

Super Fi Pro is on the bright side and very detailed but compared to ER4P it sounds a little harsh/grainy and unrefined. ER4P is razor sharp...very clean.

But if you like bass and are coming from CX300, you will still be very impressed with SFP's. You might find ER4P a little shy on bass.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 8
are they, super fi pro and er4p, completely different thing? super fi is big bass, musical, lots of fun iem and er4 is very detail, clean sounding iem? um1 is one of the best bargain for lower priced iem though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back