Westone UM1 vs. Shure se215??
Jul 5, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #33 of 45
An old thread, but I'll respond anyway, since I've owned both the SE215, UM1 and UM2. The SE215 does have more bass than the Westones - the dynamic drivers in the SE215 sound considerably different than the BAs in the Westone. I would have probably stayed with the Shures, but I just couldn't handle the molded earloops - it bugged the heck out of me (I wear glasses). I went back to Westone. I haven't tried the Westones with the newer "Epic" cable - I'm very afraid they will have the same annoying earloops as the Shure.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #34 of 45
I would choice the um1 over the se215 anyday.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #36 of 45
Ok, the reason why I pick the um1 over the se215 is simply the um1 is better than the se215 in almost every aspect.

First the sound: The se215 have a overly exaggerated mid bass the covers up the mid and the treble. I have to use bass reduction on the eq to listen to them. The sound spectrum is very muffled compare to the um1 and yes, I did try using different tips. Even after 50 hours of burn in, the bloated mid bass is still overpowering the rest of the frequencies.
On the other hand, the um1 have very nice extensions on both ends and it's a much more lively sound than the overly dark se215. It doesn't have the bass impact of the dynamic driver in the shure, but the note goes lower. I personally care more about the performance of the mid and treble than the bass of headphones/earphones and the um1 doesn't disappoint.

The build quality on both earphones are equal, but the um1 is much better for pocket use. The se215 have thicker cable with the memory wire loop that will create some bulk. The wire on the shure are replaceable, but I don't see the epic cable on the westone to fall apart anytime soon.

Comfort on the um1 for me is better than the se215 as the housing on the um1 is smaller, no memory wire loop, and it doesn't feel like you are in a vacuum. The se215 blocks out so much sound that is almost dangerous to use outdoors, but the memory wire loops keeps it from ever falling off your ears.

In the $100 range, the westone um1 is a much better option than the shure se215 IMO. However, there are better alternative to those earphones purely base on sound: the creative aurvana in ear3 is on par or better than shure's 425 and westones um2 while maintaining around $75 on amazon.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #37 of 45
  First the sound: The se215 have a overly exaggerated mid bass the covers up the mid and the treble...
The sound spectrum is very muffled compare to the um1...
...the um1 have very nice extensions on both ends and it's a much more lively sound than the overly dark se215.

Well that depends on what kinda of music you listen to, doesn't it?
The bass end of the spectrum is indeed quite heavy, but I have never found it veiling any other part of the music like I find the Sennheiser IE8s do. I listen to a lot of female acoustic vocals and rock and sometimes span into country and classical. I've had my pair for 4 years now.

There is no way UM1 have more extension on either end.

If replaceable cables don't count for anything and sound isolation detracts...then why even go IEMs?
If the only factor is sound quality (which is very opinionated), then why not just go speakers?

It is illegal to use IEMs while riding, driving and around heavy machinery where I live. And it's common sense not to do so as well.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #38 of 45
  Ok, the reason why I pick the um1 over the se215 is simply the um1 is better than the se215 in almost every aspect.

First the sound: The se215 have a overly exaggerated mid bass the covers up the mid and the treble. I have to use bass reduction on the eq to listen to them. The sound spectrum is very muffled compare to the um1 and yes, I did try using different tips. Even after 50 hours of burn in, the bloated mid bass is still overpowering the rest of the frequencies.
On the other hand, the um1 have very nice extensions on both ends and it's a much more lively sound than the overly dark se215. It doesn't have the bass impact of the dynamic driver in the shure, but the note goes lower. I personally care more about the performance of the mid and treble than the bass of headphones/earphones and the um1 doesn't disappoint.

The build quality on both earphones are equal, but the um1 is much better for pocket use. The se215 have thicker cable with the memory wire loop that will create some bulk. The wire on the shure are replaceable, but I don't see the epic cable on the westone to fall apart anytime soon.

Comfort on the um1 for me is better than the se215 as the housing on the um1 is smaller, no memory wire loop, and it doesn't feel like you are in a vacuum. The se215 blocks out so much sound that is almost dangerous to use outdoors, but the memory wire loops keeps it from ever falling off your ears.

In the $100 range, the westone um1 is a much better option than the shure se215 IMO. However, there are better alternative to those earphones purely base on sound: the creative aurvana in ear3 is on par or better than shure's 425 and westones um2 while maintaining around $75 on amazon.

I would have to disagree with Butter123 on this. I was just at my local music store and they had the um10-30s demos out. I demoed both the um10s and the um20s. For a direct comparison against the 215s, I do agree they do give off a different signature - not by a mile though. Both still retain that natural sound with the um10s sounding dryer. The UM10s did well in most aspects but when it came to the lower frequencies, this is where I felt they sounded very hollow and lifeless. The bass sounded very fake and kind of papery with no body. When I moved on to the UM20s, it was apparent within the first 5 seconds listening to the same passage that completely changed the experience. I've always had bad experiences with single driver BA systems (hence the retired 315s) and don't listen to the "full-range" marketing gimmicks. 

Now the UM10s compared with my SE215s, I would take the 215s anyday. First of all, its better built - more rugged cable and detachable as well and cheaper. It embodies a similar level of detail with a slight mid-bass hump that is not present in the um10s. This makes the earphone a lot easier to listen to and a bit less analytical. If you are looking at the sub $100 range anyways I don't think detail is something that is first on your list (depending on user). For under 100, I still want a certain degree of clarity paired with a fun sound that I can listen to hours on end. If you are looking for detail, I'm afraid a single BA won't be reproduce that. 

Although I do agree that stock for stock, the um1s are more comfortable - the tips fit better and the housing is smaller so it fits more snug. However,I have custom shells on mine whenever I wear them which beats any stock universal IEMs in terms of comfort, attenuation, and isolation.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 45

Well that depends on what kinda of music you listen to, doesn't it?
The bass end of the spectrum is indeed quite heavy, but I have never found it veiling any other part of the music like I find the Sennheiser IE8s do. I listen to a lot of female acoustic vocals and rock and sometimes span into country and classical. I've had my pair for 4 years now.

There is no way UM1 have more extension on either end.

If replaceable cables don't count for anything and sound isolation detracts...then why even go IEMs?
If the only factor is sound quality (which is very opinionated), then why not just go speakers?

It is illegal to use IEMs while riding, driving and around heavy machinery where I live. And it's common sense not to do so as well.

I listen to all kind of genre of music. Mainly a mix of pop and classic. The se215 have a strong mid bass that imo covers up the extensions where as the um1 is better balanced. It might also have to due to the strong seal the se215. And yes, I have a pair of sennheiser ie8 too and they are my favorite in ear monitors.

To answer your questions:
I was talking about running or walking outside with the se215. It will completely block out any hearing feed back you need to stay alert of your surroundings.
I have a pair of swans monitor for my desktop use and a 7.1 energy speakers for the living room.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #40 of 45
  I would have to disagree with Butter123 on this. I was just at my local music store and they had the um10-30s demos out. I demoed both the um10s and the um20s. For a direct comparison against the 215s, I do agree they do give off a different signature - not by a mile though. Both still retain that natural sound with the um10s sounding dryer. The UM10s did well in most aspects but when it came to the lower frequencies, this is where I felt they sounded very hollow and lifeless. The bass sounded very fake and kind of papery with no body. When I moved on to the UM20s, it was apparent within the first 5 seconds listening to the same passage that completely changed the experience. I've always had bad experiences with single driver BA systems (hence the retired 315s) and don't listen to the "full-range" marketing gimmicks. 

Now the UM10s compared with my SE215s, I would take the 215s anyday. First of all, its better built - more rugged cable and detachable as well and cheaper. It embodies a similar level of detail with a slight mid-bass hump that is not present in the um10s. This makes the earphone a lot easier to listen to and a bit less analytical. If you are looking at the sub $100 range anyways I don't think detail is something that is first on your list (depending on user). For under 100, I still want a certain degree of clarity paired with a fun sound that I can listen to hours on end. If you are looking for detail, I'm afraid a single BA won't be reproduce that. 

Although I do agree that stock for stock, the um1s are more comfortable - the tips fit better and the housing is smaller so it fits more snug. However,I have custom shells on mine whenever I wear them which beats any stock universal IEMs in terms of comfort, attenuation, and isolation.

For me I value mid > treble > bass in that order. One of the main disadvantage of single armature is the bass, it will not have the same oomph from a dynamic driver. That is why many company uses multiple BA to cover the sound spectrum compare to dynamic driver based company such as sennheiser that only uses one dynamic driver, even for their ie800.

That being said, the um1 to me have a lot more detail in the mid range where as the se215's mid bass bleed into the mids. The level of bass is heavy depended on what device is being used with. The um1 provided just enough low end oomph with my iphone 5s, but not with my surface pro. I agree the um1 sounds dull when first used, but they are great for monitoring and covers all the genre of music pretty well. The build quality are the same but the shure does look a lot nicer.

Right before westone discontinued the um1, they were around $50 to $70 retail depends on the color you get. You can still get them at your local Guitar center for $60 on clearance.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #41 of 45

For me I value mid > treble > bass in that order. One of the main disadvantage of single armature is the bass, it will not have the same oomph from a dynamic driver. That is why many company uses multiple BA to cover the sound spectrum compare to dynamic driver based company such as sennheiser that only uses one dynamic driver, even for their ie800.

That being said, the um1 to me have a lot more detail in the mid range where as the se215's mid bass bleed into the mids. The level of bass is heavy depended on what device is being used with. The um1 provided just enough low end oomph with my iphone 5s, but not with my surface pro. I agree the um1 sounds dull when first used, but they are great for monitoring and covers all the genre of music pretty well. The build quality are the same but the shure does look a lot nicer.

Right before westone discontinued the um1, they were around $50 to $70 retail depends on the color you get. You can still get them at your local Guitar center for $60 on clearance.

If its $60 then it will be a steal definitely a better value than the 215s. I value the mids the most as well, and if you read everywhere Shure has always been praised for their smooth and buttery mids especially in the 425s and 535s. Bass is not really my thing either and if I do need bass I would use my XBA4's but I tend to use my 215s a lot more as they tend to sound good but not too bassy and it works well with almost every genre of music well, although not great. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #42 of 45
  If its $60 then it will be a steal definitely a better value than the 215s. I value the mids the most as well, and if you read everywhere Shure has always been praised for their smooth and buttery mids especially in the 425s and 535s. Bass is not really my thing either and if I do need bass I would use my XBA4's but I tend to use my 215s a lot more as they tend to sound good but not too bassy and it works well with almost every genre of music well, although not great. 

Yup, get them while you can guys! Just have to call the store first to check if its in stock. My local store had 3.

I borrowed my friend's shure 535 while I let him borrow my IE8, I found the SE535 to be an extremely flat and accurate sounding earphone. My IE8 had a lot more mid bass hump than the SE535, but it vastly outclass it in sound stage. It's very interesting you prefer the se215 over the XBA-4, I personally haven't heard the XBA-4, but I was fairly impressed by the XBA-1 which imo is one of the best earphone under $35 if you don't care about bass.

BTW if you value mid the most and don't want to spend over $100, I suggest the Creative Aurvana In ear3. It's on par of the se425 and westone um2 or um3.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #43 of 45

Yup, get them while you can guys! Just have to call the store first to check if its in stock. My local store had 3.

I borrowed my friend's shure 535 while I let him borrow my IE8, I found the SE535 to be an extremely flat and accurate sounding earphone. My IE8 had a lot more mid bass hump than the SE535, but it vastly outclass it in sound stage. It's very interesting you prefer the se215 over the XBA-4, I personally haven't heard the XBA-4, but I was fairly impressed by the XBA-1 which imo is one of the best earphone under $35 if you don't care about bass.

BTW if you value mid the most and don't want to spend over $100, I suggest the Creative Aurvana In ear3. It's on par of the se425 and westone um2 or um3.

Haha I prefer the XBA4's a lot more than the 215s, its just cause they are extremely picky with source and if I'm mobile I have to carry around my amp which I prefer not to. The 215s are alright, nothing spectacular but get the job done daily without needing to amp.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 45
  Haha I prefer the XBA4's a lot more than the 215s, its just cause they are extremely picky with source and if I'm mobile I have to carry around my amp which I prefer not to. The 215s are alright, nothing spectacular but get the job done daily without needing to amp.

I agree, carrying an portable amp is a hassle and anything that have more than 2 drivers will require an amp, otherwise you would be wasting money.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #45 of 45
If you're still in doubt, my review on UM1 is live now, maybe it can help you sort out this decision!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/02/westone-um1-relaxation.html

audiophile-heaven-Westone-UM1-Review-10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back