Westone UM1 or Alessandro MS-1? IEM or Open or Closed?
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WarriorSl

New Head-Fier
Hi there guys, i have a budget for about US$100 for this christmas, and i'm willing to get a headphone just to use at home, to hear some good quality audio (CDs, LPs, DVDs, Cassete tapes), since i don't need isolation like outside of my house, some people said that open headphones is the best for me, since the quality for the price is higher than with iem and closed headphones, so, this is realy true? With this budget i'm willing to get a westone um1 for the case iem is the best for me, or a alessandro ms-1 in case that open is best for me, for closed i don't know any model for $100 budget, but if of the three, a closed headphone is best for me, please tell me a headphone for this budget!
Ty very much ^^

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 12
If you don't need isolation then get an open phone like the MS1. I like them - especially for 100$.

Jonas

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Choosing headphones often seems like choosing the right tool for the job. But when isolation is not a concern, that should not limit the selection to open headphones, especially in the $100 price range. Rather, it should broaden the potential selection to include closed headphones.

There are several good choices, open and closed, in the $100 price range that many people enjoy with music. What kind of music do you listen to? What will you be plugging the headphones into, a receiver, ipod, amp, or what?

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Choosing headphones often seems like choosing the right tool for the job. But when isolation is not a concern, that should not limit the selection to open headphones, especially in the $100 price range. Rather, it should broaden the potential selection to include closed headphones.

There are several good choices, open and closed, in the $100 price range that many people enjoy with music. What kind of music do you listen to? What will you be plugging the headphones into, a receiver, ipod, amp, or what?

Mainly this earphone will be for home listening, listening to LPs in my home radio (nothing too much expensive like turntables with amps, just a radio) and hearing in my pc that i don't have a good sound card (realtek alc97 7.1 onboard), but i'm willing to build up a good music system, a turntable, a amp and everything else, i'm just willing to get a high fidelity earphones with US$100, so i don't know which one sound better.
For music genres i hear like everything, but mainly heavy metal 70's and hard rocks, but also hear some eletronic music sometimes, i just want something with fidelity, not something with too much bass for eletronic so it will ruin my rock!

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 12
My Alessandro MS 1's came in today - and out of the box, even without burn-in they are phenomenal - noticeably better than my Grado SR 60s - they have a tight punchy bottom-enjoyable and and and fairly open soundstage with clean not too Grado shrill highs - very enjoyable and non-tiring like the Grados --- for $99.00 including shipping anywhere in the world you really get your bang for the buck - highly recommended!

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Alessandro MS 1's came in today - and out of the box, even without burn-in they are phenomenal - noticeably better than my Grado SR 60s - they have a tight punchy bottom-enjoyable and and and fairly open soundstage with clean not too Grado shrill highs - very enjoyable and non-tiring like the Grados --- for $99.00 including shipping anywhere in the world you really get your bang for the buck - highly recommended!

Very excited to hear this as I am getting a pair for Christmas. What does your system consist of? I mean I see all the stuff in your sig but what were you using when you listened to the MS-1's and came up with your initial impressions?

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 12
I am also thinking of getting MS-1 for Christmas. Thanks for sharing your impressions
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 12
The MS1 simply murders the UM1 in every possible way. The UM1's sound is decent but not specular, what makes them such a good deal is the design, the good isolation, good comfort, good built quality. If that's not important for you there's no reason to get the UM1 over the MS1.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Guys thank you so much for the impressions and for the comparisson, now i'm realy getting a MS-1, since i'll use it at home, i don't need isolation, just need confort and a good sound quality, so i think MS-1 will satisfy my needs just as you guys said, thank you so much!

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 12
OK, I pulled the trigger on the MS-1. Happy Christmas times coming
beyersmile.png

By the way, Alessandro also accept PayPal, just ask.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 12
I know this is an old thread, but how long did it take you(and others) to ship the ms1?

I ordered it tuesday, so it will either ship today or tomorrow.
I heard people say like a year ago in this forum that it took around 3 weeks, is that still true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back