Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #106 of 3,037
  It seems like that might be the case that there is more treble in the 30's. Soundstage wise I don't feel like there's much if any difference (as expected since it's a monitor, also, memory is really unreliable). Even though it had been a long time since I heard the UM3X I felt like the treble certainly has more energy in the UM Pro 30's than the UM3X, but unfortunately I haven't been able to A/B. I wouldn't be opposed to sending someone my UM Pro 30's to do a direct comparison. I've been kind of holding off on impressions and things based on the confusion over whether or not they sound the same as the UM3X. I also don't think my friend will be in town tomorrow, but I will find that out tomorrow.

Appreciate your time and energy in defining the UM30 tuning truth.  I'm very curious myself.  I also wonder if the new W series is voiced any differently.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #107 of 3,037
Haha I didn't do anything special. I think Spyro has put in more effort, but like I said, I don't mind sending someone my pair for a short loan if they can A/B. Use your own tips though :p

I guess everyone is curious about w serious changes too. I was a big fan of the w3 but the mids were lacking, and the W4 was a little lacking in clarity. Both very good though.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #108 of 3,037
I used to own Triple-Fi 10 and UM3X long time ago and from my memory I like my new UM Pro 30 with silicone tip more than both of them. In my opinion the UMPro30 has everything you love from Westone IEM (bass, mid, stage, treble) with much more clarity but not too analytical like UM3X. That's my 1st impression from UMPro30.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #109 of 3,037
I used to own Triple-Fi 10 and UM3X long time ago and from my memory I like my new UM Pro 30 with silicone tip more than both of them. In my opinion the UMPro30 has everything you love from Westone IEM (bass, mid, stage, treble) with much more clarity but not too analytical like UM3X. That's my 1st impression from UMPro30.

Is the soundstage and instrument separation changed at all or is it pretty much similar to the UM3X? Also I wonder how much the treble improvement is due to the tuning of the drivers vs the sound bore and the tip selection. I remember reading over in the UM3X appreciation thread somewhere that the new tips they released this year have a larger opening which worked to minimize attenuation of the treble response from the UM3X. Just trying to factually gauge if the UM30 is an improvement over the UM3X :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #110 of 3,037
Yes, elleboid.....are you using same tips with um30 as you use to use with um3x? That would make a world of difference. The star tips on um3x was a huge improvement for me.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #111 of 3,037
Pretty shocking the deadness of reviews on these new Westone IEM's.  AS far as UM3X versus the UM Pro 30 I know nothing but will guess it was a cost save move and profit increaser.   Just my speculation........

--  Westone has reduced manufacturing costs by eliminating a step of having to solder the cable connections to the pc board.  Now they only have to worry about making the IEM cavity and internals and have an outside company make the cables independently.....then just plug them in to the housing.

-- I was always very impressed with the plastic housing on the old UM series.  It seemed like a very dense type of plastic resin.  The new smokey clear housing looks cool but not sure it is the same high grade of resin (but it may be).

--  So "perhaps" Westone has cut some costs here but because it is a new product line.....can refuse to discount it for a certain length of time...charge full price $399 in this case....and make more money.  It's a win win.  As long as reliability is top notch this is very smart on Westone's part.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #112 of 3,037
  I'll add my voice to the disappointed.  The high end universal IEM market is becoming increasingly competitive; if Westone thinks changing a few colours and spending more on marketing is enough then they're sadly mistaken.

If the iems are different (improved) then please delete this message from your mental drawer.

completely agree. i think one of the biggest problems westone face when improving a fantastic w4/r.....i feel like they seemed like they were backed up against the wall and alls they could do is make minor changes like colors,changed cabled,ect ect ect.

imo they couldnt probably improve upon the w4/r without going back to the drawing board and recreating a completely new iem.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #113 of 3,037
I think Westone and Shure missed the boat.

I have not heard the 846 and I like the direction of going to a BIGGER sound versus UE900 and W4 going to a smaller sound but I think $1000 is too big a jump from $399 SE535.

I have real strong feelings about W3 and I think many here don't understand how ground-breaking it was when it was released with the 3-way crossover.  It was the first universal with a BIG FULL HEAVY sound with amazing clarity and detail at the same time.  No ther IEM could do that.  I DO think that with silicone tips it does not sound right.  Somewhat siblant, somewhat non-cohesive and a sucked out midrange.  But I am blown away with P-series comply tips.  I find midrange and vocals fantastic.  I use a treble EQ boost and nothing more.  Even unamped it's amazing with any music.

Having said that I think the next "improvement" with Westone is EITHER:

W4:  Give it a fuller sound with better overall clarity.

W3:  Tame down the mid-bass, leave sub-bass as is.  Push midrange 10-15% more forward.

Price it at $599 list .....$450-$550 on the market.

As a side note.....I find it ironic the SE535 does NOT have a midrange driver....yet it's midrange is so forward and present (too much for many folks).  Where W3 DOES have a dedicated midrange driver yet it's not very effective with silicone tips.  Just shows how important tuning drivers is.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #114 of 3,037
Yeah, if the W3's had a little less mid bass and more forward vocals I probably would have kept them. That was my main gripe, but at the time their soundstage and bass for a BA was pretty much unheard of. Tips are always going to be a big problem with universals, but more so with some models than others (W3)

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #115 of 3,037
I don't have UM3X anymore. So I don't have a chance to try it with new star tip.
In my opinion since UMPro30 is a replacement of UM3X. If you already have UM3X and love it sound. You should spend money on upgrade cable or DAP instead. But for me I just like UMPro30 more than UM3X, W4R or SE535.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #116 of 3,037
How do UM PRO 30 compare to W4R? I believe that the *4 range no longer exist on the site.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #118 of 3,037
Just my humble sharing:

I'm a long time westone fans and owned both UM1 and UM3X for a few years.  However, this time Westone does disappoint me a lots.

Just give a brief background:   I like monitor-type earphones, and have been constantly testing different earphones in Hong Kong when new models from other brands are out.  But up to now I still prefer my 3X given its great expression of emotion in vocal (e.g. Adele).  I used to play violin and especially love the string sound (esp violin, cello and guitar) in 3X; while 4R is bit dull to me as I personally don't feel the level of passion as expressed from 3X.. I listen to a wide range of music including English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean vocals, as well classical and bands (Secondhand Serenade sounds sooooooo cool in 3X!).  Oh btw I don't use equalizer as I really prefer the 'true and original' sound from the performer.

I was thinking if I should upgrade my UM3X to UM pro 30 to improve my listening experience..   This new model is now released in Hong Kong and last night I have tested this in my favorite shop last night to compare to my 3X (1000+ hours), as well to test this with the demo 3X in shop.

What my initial impression after an hour test is:

1. 30 has exactly identical sound signature as 3X.  This is simply NO surprise at all.
2. 30 is a bit easier to push, but if you test with same volume they really sound the same.  I personally feel no difference in improvement in sound stage, treble, mid or bass...

Perhaps this is a bit unfair to 30 as this is also brand new demo unit in shop which might have run-in for less than 50 hours..

I might test it after a few weeks again.  But at this point i'm very disappointed, and I don't think the 30 has been 're-tuned' it at all.

Perhaps you guys might feel differently, but with my dumb ears this is all my first impression, as I'm just a layman music lover in Hong Kong.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #120 of 3,037
  Just my humble sharing:

I'm a long time westone fans and owned both UM1 and UM3X for a few years.  However, this time Westone does disappoint me a lots.

Just give a brief background:   I like monitor-type earphones, and have been constantly testing different earphones in Hong Kong when new models from other brands are out.  But up to now I still prefer my 3X given its great expression of emotion in vocal (e.g. Adele).  I used to play violin and especially love the string sound (esp violin, cello and guitar) in 3X; while 4R is bit dull to me as I personally don't feel the level of passion as expressed from 3X.. I listen to a wide range of music including English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean vocals, as well classical and bands (Secondhand Serenade sounds sooooooo cool in 3X!).  Oh btw I don't use equalizer as I really prefer the 'true and original' sound from the performer.

I was thinking if I should upgrade my UM3X to UM pro 30 to improve my listening experience..   This new model is now released in Hong Kong and last night I have tested this in my favorite shop last night to compare to my 3X (1000+ hours), as well to test this with the demo 3X in shop.

What my initial impression after an hour test is:

1. 30 has exactly identical sound signature as 3X.  This is simply NO surprise at all.
2. 30 is a bit easier to push, but if you test with same volume they really sound the same.  I personally feel no difference in improvement in sound stage, treble, mid or bass...

Perhaps this is a bit unfair to 30 as this is also brand new demo unit in shop which might have run-in for less than 50 hours..

I might test it after a few weeks again.  But at this point i'm very disappointed, and I don't think the 30 has been 're-tuned' it at all.

Perhaps you guys might feel differently, but with my dumb ears this is all my first impression, as I'm just a layman music lover in Hong Kong.

phooey...i own the um1s and was gonna upgrade to the 3x till i heard the 30s was coming out
now i'm not so sure thats a good idea anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back