Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jan 2, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,537 of 3,037
My UMPro 50's cable just about gave out after 2 years. I contacted Westone but they wanted me to send the whole thing in at my cost (and I'm in Canada where shipping packages are pretty expensive, probably would have to put some shipping insurance on it, too). Instead I went on Ebay and bought the cheapest MMCX cable I could find for 3 bucks.

It really, really likes to tangle. Otherwise it's much softer and lighter so no microphonics at all. I think the sound does change a little compared to stock, not entirely sure if for the better. But hey. $3.

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,539 of 3,037
My UMPro 50's cable just about gave out after 2 years. I contacted Westone but they wanted me to send the whole thing in at my cost (and I'm in Canada where shipping packages are pretty expensive, probably would have to put some shipping insurance on it, too). Instead I went on Ebay and bought the cheapest MMCX cable I could find for 3 bucks.

It really, really likes to tangle. Otherwise it's much softer and lighter so no microphonics at all. I think the sound does change a little compared to stock, not entirely sure if for the better. But hey. $3.

Well, for $3 shipped, you can only imagine they used the low quality wires and the cheapest connectors and plug. It's like a car, any will get you from point A to point B, but the ride experience will be different, depending on which model you're driving :wink: If anything, I would expect an older UM Pro 50 with a lower purity ofc cable to give you a warmer, smoother, a little less resolving sound. But for $3, can't beat that! Maybe next time, upgrade it to $5 cable :D

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,540 of 3,037
Yup, OCT35 appears to be working for Westone Um Pro 50 v2 right now. Comes to $422.50. $20 USD shipping to Canada for people like me.

Just listened to UM Pro 50 v2 again, and it sounds closer to W60, a lot closer than original Pro 50. W60 has a wider soundstage, that's a signature of W-series, but Pro 50v2 has a little more sparkle in treble and tigther, more articulate bass.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,541 of 3,037
Just listened to UM Pro 50 v2 again, and it sounds closer to W60, a lot closer than original Pro 50. W60 has a wider soundstage, that's a signature of W-series, but Pro 50v2 has a little more sparkle in treble and tigther, more articulate bass.
So from what you say that the usual Um50 um50 and v2 have a difference in sound?
I do not remember what the company "Westone", said that they differ in the sound they told me that it is simply an improved body, that's all.
I prefer to believe them than to believe you.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,542 of 3,037
So from what you say that the usual Um50 um50 and v2 have a difference in sound?
I do not remember what the company "Westone", said that they differ in the sound they told me that it is simply an improved body, that's all.
I prefer to believe them than to believe you.

The only thing Westone officially said is that drivers are the same, but the sound path was optimized which going to affect the sound. I have both and shared my mini-review here, and if I would trust you (which I don't) I would even share with you my FR measurements of old vs new UM Pro 50 to point out the differences (which, btw, I have described in my mini-review). Plus, everybody else who heard both models said new UM Pro 50 v2 has a refined sound. It's very obvious.

Next time, before you make a statement, make sure you have all your facts straight... and I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying back, since you usually make dozens of posts across different threads, disappear, never come back to read the replies, and start all over again, blasting questions in different threads...

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #2,543 of 3,037
The only thing Westone officially said is that drivers are the same, but the sound path was optimized which going to affect the sound. I have both and shared my mini-review here, and if I would trust you (which I don't) I would even share with you my FR measurements of old vs new UM Pro 50 to point out the differences (which, btw, I have described in my mini-review). Plus, everybody else who heard both models said new UM Pro 50 v2 has a refined sound. It's very obvious.

Next time, before you make a statement, make sure you have all your facts straight... and I don't even know why I'm wasting my time replying back, since you usually make dozens of posts across different threads, disappear, never come back to read the replies, and start all over again, blasting questions in different threads...

I'm not interested in your opinion about these headphones, because there is a manufacturer that I believe is longer than the regular consumer.
I read the answers and then answer when I can do it, by this forum and the headphones in life there are many interesting and important things, such as family and work

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #2,544 of 3,037
I'm not interested in your opinion about these headphones, because there is a manufacturer that I believe is longer than the regular consumer.
I read the answers and then answer when I can do it, by this forum and the headphones in life there are many interesting and important things, such as family and work

We all have lives, reviewing is not my job, I have a full time job, family, kids, and other outside projects. I'm just making an observation that in the last few years, you asked a lot of rapid questions, starting a discussion in Westone and other threads, people spend their time replying back, and you never acknowledge it. But, that's fine.

Of course, I'm a reviewer, and my review is my opinion. I'm actually a Contributor on Head-fi with hundreds of published reviews, here, and close to 21,000 (!!!) likes based on my contributions of helping Head-fi members who trust my opinion and appreciate my help, just like manufacturers who trust my opinion and send me review samples. I'm not writing here "omg, Westone is the best IEM in the world" lol!!!, I'm just sharing my opinion about how these sound and compare based on my OWN personal experience of using them and measuring their Frequency Response which is not identical.

You made a statement that a manufacturer told you they sound identical. You didn't hear old vs new UM Pro 50 yourself. Are you saying you personally called Westone in Colorado (US) and they told you this over the phone? You are making a bold statement, so please back it up. The only thing I'm aware of that someone from Westone customer service mentioned over the phone to someone else that drivers are the same, shells have changed, and the sound should be the same. That was the only post someone shared in this thread last year, and after further discussion, Westone no longer makes this statement.

So, did you recently call Westone USA office in Colorado? Did you talk to Karl Cartwright who designed and tuned them? You don't have to agree with how I hear or describe the sound, you are entitled to your own opinion which I respect. But you are attacking me, saying that my opinion can't be trusted because Westone told you something else. I talk to many manufacturers and their sound designers every month, including Westone, and never heard them mention about UM Pro 50 having the same sound. So, I'm curious, what is the source of your information? Please share.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,545 of 3,037
We all have lives, reviewing is not my job, I have a full time job, family, kids, and other outside projects. I'm just making an observation that in the last few years, you asked a lot of rapid questions, starting a discussion in Westone and other threads, people spend their time replying back, and you never acknowledge it. But, that's fine.

Of course, I'm a reviewer, and my review is my opinion. I'm actually a Contributor on Head-fi with hundreds of published reviews, here, and close to 21,000 (!!!) likes based on my contributions of helping Head-fi members who trust my opinion and appreciate my help, just like manufacturers who trust my opinion and send me review samples. I'm not writing here "omg, Westone is the best IEM in the world" lol!!!, I'm just sharing my opinion about how these sound and compare based on my OWN personal experience of using them and measuring their Frequency Response which is not identical.

You made a statement that a manufacturer told you they sound identical. You didn't hear old vs new UM Pro 50 yourself. Are you saying you personally called Westone in Colorado (US) and they told you this over the phone? You are making a bold statement, so please back it up. The only thing I'm aware of that someone from Westone customer service mentioned over the phone to someone else that drivers are the same, shells have changed, and the sound should be the same. That was the only post someone shared in this thread last year, and after further discussion, Westone no longer makes this statement.

So, did you recently call Westone USA office in Colorado? Did you talk to Karl Cartwright who designed and tuned them? You don't have to agree with how I hear or describe the sound, you are entitled to your own opinion which I respect. But you are attacking me, saying that my opinion can't be trusted because Westone told you something else. I talk to many manufacturers and their sound designers every month, including Westone, and never heard them mention about UM Pro 50 having the same sound. So, I'm curious, what is the source of your information? Please share.

Twister6 is correct that Westone did make updates to the UM Series in terms of the sound signature as well as the ergonomics and the durability. We have made subtle updates to the drivers but also increased the efficiency to the sound channel which arguably makes a bigger difference to the sound signature. Our goal was to make a product better than the previous model and we are happy to hear that reviewers and customers have found this to be true.

I also heard that our customer service representative misspoke to a couple of customers and we have met with them to train them as to the differences and apologize for the confusion that this has created.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,546 of 3,037
I can also confirm that the new UM 50 Pro sounds different, also with measurements to prove it. Thanks Twister6 for your contributions, without a doubt, they are immensely informative for those willing to listen. And thanks BKG22 for confirming.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2,547 of 3,037

I did not call the company "Weston" I had enough to write them to the email address, I remember well that asked them about the difference of the new version of the series UM, they told me "the difference is only in the shell.".

Attachments

• 0137.gif
    0137.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
  • lols1.gif
    lols1.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,548 of 3,037
I'm enjoying the Um Pro 30 V2 paired with the ZX300 (not so much with my other dap though) they're very clear sounding and more fun than the W60's. Though the W60's are more balanced and the sound is more understated.
But according to others the Um Pro range aren't supposed to be for general listening(?).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,549 of 3,037
I'm enjoying the Um Pro 30 V2 paired with the ZX300 (not so much with my other dap though) they're very clear sounding and more fun than the W60's. Though the W60's are more balanced and the sound is more understated.
But according to others the Um Pro range aren't supposed to be for general listening(?).

UM Pro 30 v2 is pretty good for general listening, sounds even good from a smartphone. But Pro 50 v2 scales up into audiophile territory, even with a stock Epic cable. I hope we can get more impressions from other people, cause I don't want people to say I'm "hyping" things up :wink:

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,550 of 3,037
I've been eagerly waiting for my pro 50 v2 to ship from earphonrsolutions but nothing has changed since ordering on Tuesday. Did anyone else order this week? Are they on holiday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back