Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Feb 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,711 of 3,037
Anyone care to comment on the sound of UM60 compared to the Noble 6, JH Pro 13, or the JH Angie/Layla line. I'm thinking about getting the ES60 from Westone. I can get everything for $780 through work. I don't want to get it just because it's a good deal. I really just want one CIEM and be done with it.

I guess a lot of threads in the forum feels the UM50 sound even better than the W60, maybe the ES50 is the way to go.

$780 is one heck of a deal, my ES60 review unit with all customizations added up to $1780.

Hard to draw a conclusion based on UM Pro50, W50, and W60 and ES60/ES60.  UM Pro 50 has its own unique signature, while W50 is a "basshead" version of W60 (exaggerated mid-bass bloat).  ES60 is nothing like W60, and actually has a rather neutral balanced reference quality sound.  Could ES50 be "basshead" version of ES60?  I have no idea...

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,712 of 3,037
$780 is one heck of a deal, my ES60 review unit with all customizations added up to $1780.

Hard to draw a conclusion based on UM Pro50, W50, and W60 and ES60/ES60.  UM Pro 50 has its own unique signature, while W50 is a "basshead" version of W60 (exaggerated mid-bass bloat).  ES60 is nothing like W60, and actually has a rather neutral balanced reference quality sound.  Could ES50 be "basshead" version of ES60?  I have no idea...

Do you know the settings for your review unit? With some fancy custom faceplates, you can easily go over $400 over baseline price. I just felt they are not worth it. It looks pretty good without any faceplate with just the white W Westone logo.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,713 of 3,037

Do you know the settings for your review unit? With some fancy custom faceplates, you can easily go over $400 over baseline price. I just felt they are not worth it. It looks pretty good without any faceplate with just the white W Westone logo.

ES60 with Translucent ES Body Type, ES Body Candy Blue (L) / Candy Red (R), ES Faceplate Type Exotics with Faceplate Pacifica (L) and Lava (R), and ES Overlay being Brushed Steel W logo.  That added a bit of thickness to the shell since the brushed steel overlay is under a layer of acrylic (obviously not exposed).

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,714 of 3,037
ES60 with Translucent ES Body Type, ES Body Candy Blue (L) / Candy Red (R), ES Faceplate Type Exotics with Faceplate Pacifica (L) and Lava (R), and ES Overlay being Brushed Steel W logo.  That added a bit of thickness to the shell since the brushed steel overlay is under a layer of acrylic (obviously not exposed).

Thanks. I might change my body from metallic to translucent. Your setup looks pretty good.

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,716 of 3,037
omg...after some listening with the silver cable, I'm starting to notice the same thing as Matt: the bass is so thick! I didn't want to believe it because I figured it was just placebo getting the best of me, but it's there.

I'm not sure how much better sound I can squeeze out of these UM Pro 50s with a Fiio X7  and silver ref. litz cable. I think this is it...

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,717 of 3,037
  omg...after some listening with the silver cable, I'm starting to notice the same thing as Matt: the bass is so thick! I didn't want to believe it because I figured it was just placebo getting the best of me, but it's there.

I'm not sure how much better sound I can squeeze out of these UM Pro 50s with a Fiio X7  and silver ref. litz cable. I think this is it...

Thick huh? Thick good or Thick bad?

Interestingly, I feel the bass has some nice texture and its quite alright when using a silver cable. It is a stage monitor so keep that in mind while listening.

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,718 of 3,037
  Thick huh? Thick good or Thick bad?

Interestingly, I feel the bass has some nice texture and its quite alright when using a silver cable. It is a stage monitor so keep that in mind while listening.

I think it's good. There's more of it, but I think when I say "thick", I mean over the broad bass range...maybe? This kinda has me curious as to how good the W60 sounds with the silver cable.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,719 of 3,037
Need some help.  I used my UM3x for 2 years before one of my earphones died, which westone replaced with a pair of UMPro30s.  Now one of those have died (right over the 1 year warranty).  I'm a little annoyed that I have killed so many $300+ westone headphones.  Granted I'm not the gentlest on them as I use them all day every day at work and take them on/off atleast 20 times a day.  I don't know if its the sometimes not so gentle "set down" of the headphones on the desk, but frustrating...

I'm looking for options/suggestions.  Should i just sacrifice sound quality and get the Westone ADV Alpha (~$150) or just buy a new UMPro30 and hope for the best?  Another option would be a custom 1964 A2/A3/A4 if I think they will be more "robust" with my usage.  I want 3 things with the customs, more comfortable for my long wearing sessions, sound deading (I use them on airplanes ALOT), and I will get custom ear plugs for work.

Thanks
-DrPyro 

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,720 of 3,037
  Need some help.  I used my UM3x for 2 years before one of my earphones died, which westone replaced with a pair of UMPro30s.  Now one of those have died (right over the 1 year warranty).  I'm a little annoyed that I have killed so many $300+ westone headphones.  Granted I'm not the gentlest on them as I use them all day every day at work and take them on/off atleast 20 times a day.  I don't know if its the sometimes not so gentle "set down" of the headphones on the desk, but frustrating...

I'm looking for options/suggestions.  Should i just sacrifice sound quality and get the Westone ADV Alpha (~$150) or just buy a new UMPro30 and hope for the best?  Another option would be a custom 1964 A2/A3/A4 if I think they will be more "robust" with my usage.  I want 3 things with the customs, more comfortable for my long wearing sessions, sound deading (I use them on airplanes ALOT), and I will get custom ear plugs for work.

Thanks
-DrPyro 

If you take your IEMs at least 20 times on/off during the day, trust me, you don't want to go through CIEM hassle.  ADV Beta sounds the same as Alpha but cost only $50, and you will sacrifice clarity and details of UM Pro 30 unless you are willing to play with EQ.  Wonder if you are better off with $50 Meeaudio M6 Pro monitors instead?  Don't have those, but heard a lot of people like it.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,721 of 3,037

Thanks
-DrPyro 

There are some pics of the innards of a set of SE535s.

If you compare it with the innards of a Westone UM Pro series you'd think that it would be miracle that a set of Westone would outlast a set of SE535s (heavily insulated wires, antishock protection around the drivers and more sturdy mmcx - they don't dance around the female pin like Westones do-).

Westone needs to step up build quality.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,723 of 3,037
I don't know about 40, but SE535 is better than previous W4/R, IMHO. Yes, Bass can be deeper and treble can be longer on Westones, but total in general Shure 535 sounds better.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,724 of 3,037
  I don't know about 40, but SE535 is better than previous W4/R, IMHO. Yes, Bass can be deeper and treble can be longer on Westones, but total in general Shure 535 sounds better.

beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #1,725 of 3,037
For what it's worth I have managed to unlock the hidden potential of my UM-Pro50 by adding a portable amp. I didn't have the intention to add a portable amp previously as I was using the UM-pro50's straight out of the iPhone headphones output which sounds great already!
While traveling in Japan I tried for fun hooking up some amps while in a Akihabara portable audio store (Sofmap) and fell in love with the Japanese made Venturecraft Soundroid Vantam DAC/amp, a portable headphone amp / DAC with upgradeable opamp.
Didn't realise how much better the UM-pro50 could sound paired with this Vantam, especially the OPA627BM upgrade...

The midbass bump that many talk about in this thread is now totally gone, and even more controlled detail in the highs and better punch and definition in the lows..... Just my $0.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back