Westone UM Pro 30 vs Westone W40
Jan 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens
Are there any comparisons of these two IEM's?

If not, can someone give me a brief summary of the two and compare them if they tried both?

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 11
bump

I'm considering an upgrade from my Westone UM2's & have pretty much decided on either the UM pro 30 or the W 40's.

Both have their merits, but I'm torn in the decision between them.

One concern is that the W40 may just be overkill for my needs. I'm pretty happy the sound out of with my UM2's, but would like a slight bump in bass that EQ doesn't provide me.

listening tastes are Jazz, Acoustic guitar type music

I would appreciate guidance from folks that have heard both.   

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 11
UM2 is a pretty bassy IEM.  From memory I am not so sure that W40 or UM3X would have any more bass but the quality of bass would surely  be much better.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 11
I just pulled the trigger & ordered the um pro30's from earphone solutions. The extra $100 for the W40's was too big of a hurdle for my wallet.

Ha ha, So did I.  I love the fit.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Cool. I spent hours reading all the great comments and reviews. It finally came down to $$.

Money was a small factor for me as I am addicted to buying IEMs.  If W40 goes on sale, I don't think my click happy hand will be able stop from ordering.  I also want to compare my SE425s to the UMPRO30s to see the difference.  I love the Westone fit and comfort.  The 425 wire is ridiculous.  I read reviews where people complained about the wire and I ignored them.  Well, it sucks BIG time.  Not sure why Shure hasn't picked up on this and made the change.  Its heavy and very uncomfortable.  Anyway, congrats and lets hope we are both happy with the purchase.  I should be receiving mine in a few days. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 11
YAY... Earphone Solutions says mine are on the way to me..

If the wire on the 425 is anything like the SE215's that I got as a gift, then I agree that the cable and memory wire are big negative for me too.

The 215's also felt like I was putting a big tanks in my ear.  It tried all of the shure tips along with an assortment of Comply's.... I couldn't keep the 215's in my ears for more than 20 minutes.

Over the years, I have had the UM1 & the UM2 from Westone and loved the fit and the wires..

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 11
  At 56 ohms, what amp do you plan to use with em ??
i am leaning to the  EM2 because i don't want to carry an amp.

You don't really need an amp for the UMPRO30s.  I have JDS LABS C5D hooked to it and it's loud on the first volume click. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back