Westone ES5
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,971 of 5,554

Quote:
hi guys, just a question,

after using my es5 for about 7months, the tips have a slight yellowish colour, in bright light, it looks okay, but in normal condition, able to see that its yellowish

is there anyway to turn it back to clear transparent, or at least lighten the yellowish colour??

Nope!

When they are in your ears, no one can see that the tips are yellow.

When the acrylic becomes yellowish (it will), there is no way to reverse that, either.
However, against your skin, it will not be noticeable.

So, it's one of those problems that is not a problem at all.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #2,972 of 5,554
Yah, the best that you can do is to slow them yellowing by keeping them clean. That means wiping them regularly with (alcohol-free) wipes. I do that fairly often and mine are holding up pretty well.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #2,974 of 5,554
Quote:
Same here as @cooperpwc I wipe mine down after each use and they still look nice and clear.

Well you're more deiligent than me.
smile.gif

I do at least try to wipe them with tissue each time. (When I am out, I don't have the Audio Wipes with me.) I usually use the wipes at home. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,975 of 5,554
How did this get on the third page? Get back on top!

How about some more pictures to help keep this thread alive. Here is a shot with my new DHC 3.5-to-3.5 interconnect with Peter's new cable to match the phone' cables

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,978 of 5,554
I very seldom listen to disco music but I just played Jubeats on the iPad2 using the ES5 and I was astonished at how good the experience is. Mostly electronic and pop music in the game, and the ES5 captures them just right. Also tried the 18 Pro with the game but I am not able to say the same about it. By the way, the game is available in Japan iTunes store only, for free, but it was quite a hassle because you have to get a Japan iTunes prepaid card unless you are jb-ed. Certainly worth it though. It comes with three songs and additional music is available as in game purchase. Everyone who likes electronic music should try to get your hands on it, especially with the ES5!

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2,979 of 5,554
Just got my es5 back from remold but I notice in the left earpiece the bass driver is connected to the left sound tube and the mids and hights are connected to the right, and it is reversed on the right earpiece. Shold I be concern about this? Will this affect the sound?

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,980 of 5,554
Quote:
I very seldom listen to disco music but I just played Jubeats on the iPad2 using the ES5 and I was astonished at how good the experience is. Mostly electronic and pop music in the game, and the ES5 captures them just right. Also tried the 18 Pro with the game but I am not able to say the same about it. By the way, the game is available in Japan iTunes store only, for free, but it was quite a hassle because you have to get a Japan iTunes prepaid card unless you are jb-ed. Certainly worth it though. It comes with three songs and additional music is available as in game purchase. Everyone who likes electronic music should try to get your hands on it, especially with the ES5!

Congratulations! You are the 3,000th reply. Please visit this link to proceed in claiming your prize!

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,982 of 5,554
Am recently working on the power supply of Stepdance so as to complete my LCD2 office rig. While I am at it, I also took a hard look at my SR71A again. And dude - the rechargeable batteries I use are only 8.4V - no wonder I heard a difference between these batteries and the previous non-rechargeable Energizer 9V batteries I use. And what a difference the batteries made!! Loudness issue of the Stepdance aside, I now actually prefer the SR71A for the Westone ES5. 

I am now ordering some iPowerUS 9.6V rechargeable batteries for the SR71A. I will then compare both amps using the LCD2, i.e. Meier Stepdance with 15V input at high current, high gain mode; and SR71A with 9.6V batteries.  

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,983 of 5,554
Finally got my ES5 back yesterday. Gotta love Swedish customs, my parcel spent a total of 3 minutes there (living in a small country has it's advantages) and it was dropped off at my doorstep 2 hours after arriving in the country. The 5 day shipping actually took 4 days, weekend included, which was a nice surprise.

This set seems more accurately shaped to my ears which also makes it harder to insert. Getting them right is a bit of a process at this point, while the first pair just went in and couldn't be adjusted at all. The tips are much longer, and I can eat a hamburger without breaking seal which is kinda neat - no problem hitting those high notes. Oh and they look great, huge improvement over my first pair, although some imperfections still exist, like little nicks in the vinyl. I have one problem though, that the left ear-piece doesn't entirely seal my outer ear. I can feel air moving just atop the ear-piece, and while it doesn't affect sound or even isolation much, it will take some getting used to.

As far as sound there's quite a big change from the first set, if memory serves me right. They're not as bassy, there's less reverberation especially in the low end of the spectrum, they have more "air" and the treble has stepped up a notch. I think there are two things at play here, 1: the longer tips make sure the sound tubes are not obstructed inside my ear canals, and 2: the tighter fit makes for less resonance, which also affects things like footfall - it's very muted with music turned off and completely indistinguishable with music turned on.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #2,984 of 5,554
Awesome!
Glad to see you like them.

Upload some Pictures please! :)

Quote:
Finally got my ES5 back yesterday. Gotta love Swedish customs, my parcel spent a total of 3 minutes there (living in a small country has it's advantages) and it was dropped off at my doorstep 2 hours after arriving in the country. The 5 day shipping actually took 4 days, weekend included, which was a nice surprise.

This set seems more accurately shaped to my ears which also makes it harder to insert. Getting them right is a bit of a process at this point, while the first pair just went in and couldn't be adjusted at all. The tips are much longer, and I can eat a hamburger without breaking seal which is kinda neat - no problem hitting those high notes. Oh and they look great, huge improvement over my first pair, although some imperfections still exist, like little nicks in the vinyl. I have one problem though, that the left ear-piece doesn't entirely seal my outer ear. I can feel air moving just atop the ear-piece, and while it doesn't affect sound or even isolation much, it will take some getting used to.

As far as sound there's quite a big change from the first set, if memory serves me right. They're not as bassy, there's less reverberation especially in the low end of the spectrum, they have more "air" and the treble has stepped up a notch. I think there are two things at play here, 1: the longer tips make sure the sound tubes are not obstructed inside my ear canals, and 2: the tighter fit makes for less resonance, which also affects things like footfall - it's very muted with music turned off and completely indistinguishable with music turned on.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2,985 of 5,554

Quote:

This is exactly what I'm going for: more air, and probably less bass. The thing is, I already have a tight fit and long tips. What exactly did you tell Westone to do differently with this set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back