Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #1,036 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I do the right thing when I went for the ES3X? There are the JH13 pro out there now.

From all reports the ES3X are excellent and really, only time will tell which may be better but there are always individual preferences and how many will have both to compare since they are custom?

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #1,037 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comfort of the ES3X is far superior to either my UE11s or my old Sensaphonics 2X-S. And I did not have an issue with either of those IEMs for cross-country flights. The Westone is not a "full ear" mold which I think helps with the general feeling of pressure that IEMs give. Heat-sensitive tips are the cherry on top.

How are the Westone ES3X not "Full Ear" molds? They pretty much fill every part of the inner and outer ear, including the Custom IEM "Fin" part that fits into the narrow part of the concha where it meets the helix (outer rim) of the ear.

-Ed

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #1,038 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I do the right thing when I went for the ES3X? There are the JH13 pro out there now.

That is certainly a very strange question to ask on this thread. It may have been the right decision at the time you made that decision, or not. Who are we to tell you whether or not you made the right choice?

Perhaps it wasn't the right decision for you to buy a set of very expensive customs at - and I'm assuming this - such a young age?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the Westone ES3X not "Full Ear" molds? They pretty much fill every part of the inner and outer ear, including the Custom IEM "Fin" part that fits into the narrow part of the concha where it meets the helix (outer rim) of the ear.

-Ed

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #1,039 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is certainly a very strange question to ask on this thread. It may have been the right decision at the time you made that decision, or not. Who are we to tell you whether or not you made the right choice?

Perhaps it wasn't the right decision for you to buy a set of very expensive customs at - and I'm assuming this - such a young age?

I dunno, after some thought it was just a little stumble for a moment. but I did my decision wholeheartedly. and the age is not a problem for sure - after all I can reshell/rehouse [?] the ES3X for 350$.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,040 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Ed

Mine are a much smaller outer ear shell than the UE11s. They do not seem to have the same "lock" fin where the concha meets the helix. This results in a more comfortable fit. Isolation does not seem to be altered much - probably b/c of the long in-ear portion.

I attached a quick snapshot to show the difference in outer ear shell size.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #1,041 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, can anyone who has the ES3X do some more detailed comparisons regarding the comfort of this as compared to other custom IEMs?

I read HPA said that in a normal custom IEM he did not feel uncomfortable in any way, but for the ES3X, the heat sensitive tips made him forget that he even had IEMs in his ears.

Sounds like this heat sensitive tips are far superior in terms of comfort as compared to other IEMs? Or is it that he got a really, really good impression done?

Pardon me, I've only owned super.fi5 pros before, and I've totally no experience with customs, of course SQ is most important, but as many has said here before, at this level, it is all down to preference, so comfort is my next priority.

So can someone help me out please?

Thanks alot

Hi charpi. Can't say much about the comfort of other custom's, but my ES3X just seem to disappear! The initial insertion is good, and snaps into place. It's a snug fit that only improves as they warm up. The first day I wore them over 5 hours straight without any discomfort or soreness. Now a typical listening session is a good symphony, one or two hours.

Correct fit is essential for SQ and comfort. SQ due to the seal, and it is essential that your audiologist gets beyond the second bend in your ear canal. Make sure you use a bite block. The standard bite block is about one inch, but I've read that up to two inches is better for lots of mandible movement (e.g. singer/performer). My audiologist used the standard bite block, and I positioned it so that my jaw was at its maximal opening, a bit more than one inch.

Re SQ, these have become my primary transducers for music of all types. Hope that helps!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,042 of 1,871
Got my impressions for some ES3X's done last tuesday so now I am playing the waiting game!

I just sent my audiologist an email requesting that westone check for the few issues listed in the thread so far - hopefully everything comes out alright!

If you are near Milwaukee, I highly recommend The Hearing Professionals on Port Washington rd in Glendale. The owner, Adam has been great so far- excellent presale advising, great pricing, and seems very qualified, thorough, and concerned for his patients!

At his suggestion (and no extra charge!), made a second set of impressions "just to make sure these come out right" - even though the first set looked perfect.

I will post again once I receive the IEMs to report on the fit
ksc75smile.gif

A few questions:

#1. Do you have to request "long ear fittings" or is this the default?
#2. Any suggestions for a DIY amp that would pair well with these? Price isn't a huge issue. I have a fair amount of electronics experience and access to a well stocked electronics lab with oscilliscopes and other equipment. Just for reference, I listen mostly to metal (Opeth, Dream Theater, etc). I also listen to almost ALL other types of music, but the metal is my main concern. I liked forward guitars and vocals (which I believe means a forward mid range- correct?)

Thanks for your advice!

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,045 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you refering to my post? If so, I can move it to its own thread and edit my post here.

Sorry if I got off topic!

you did not - he edited out his own post, saying that what he had previously written was irrelevant
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,046 of 1,871
Quote:

Got my impressions for some ES3X's done last tuesday so now I am playing the waiting game!

I just sent my audiologist an email requesting that westone check for the few issues listed in the thread so far - hopefully everything comes out alright!

If you are near Milwaukee, I highly recommend The Hearing Professionals on Port Washington rd in Glendale. The owner, Adam has been great so far- excellent presale advising, great pricing, and seems very qualified, thorough, and concerned for his patients!

At his suggestion (and no extra charge!), made a second set of impressions "just to make sure these come out right" - even though the first set looked perfect.

I will post again once I receive the IEMs to report on the fit
ksc75smile.gif

A few questions:

#1. Do you have to request "long ear fittings" or is this the default?
#2. Any suggestions for a DIY amp that would pair well with these? Price isn't a huge issue. I have a fair amount of electronics experience and access to a well stocked electronics lab with oscilliscopes and other equipment. Just for reference, I listen mostly to metal (Opeth, Dream Theater, etc). I also listen to almost ALL other types of music, but the metal is my main concern. I liked forward guitars and vocals (which I believe means a forward mid range- correct?)

Thanks for your advice!

Re #1: When I ordered my ES3X, Westone made sure that I requested full ear molds with the ear canals beyond the second bend. I mentioned this with my audiologist, and I'm glad I did. While she is very competent--and knew what I was talking about--I got the impression that it might not be the norm.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #1,047 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re #1: When I ordered my ES3X, Westone made sure that I requested full ear molds with the ear canals beyond the second bend. I mentioned this with my audiologist, and I'm glad I did. While she is very competent--and knew what I was talking about--I got the impression that it might not be the norm.

Ah thanks for that. My audiologist actually called westone while I was there and confirmed the type of impressions needed. I also get the impression this is not the "standard" ear impression because after he got off the phone, the audiologist took some time to re-explain what he would be doing and discussed what kind of sensation/discomfort it might cause.
(Should note - I never felt any discomfort during the impression process - doc said that if you do feel pain/discomfort, he is doing something wrong. Just something to keep in mind!)

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #1,048 of 1,871
so, what was so special about the impressions he took from you?

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #1,049 of 1,871
I was told to make sure the impressions were made open-mouth with bite-block and beyond second bend of canal.
Mine were made in this manner and resulted in a perfect fit.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #1,050 of 1,871
Quote:

Any suggestions for a DIY amp that would pair well with these? Price isn't a huge issue. I have a fair amount of electronics experience and access to a well stocked electronics lab with oscilliscopes and other equipment. Just for reference, I listen mostly to metal (Opeth, Dream Theater, etc). I also listen to almost ALL other types of music, but the metal is my main concern. I liked forward guitars and vocals (which I believe means a forward mid range- correct?)

Forward Mids = RSA Mustang P-51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back