Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #991 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Sgt Pepper's. I wish they had better recorded it but still it is great music and fun.

So an amp does not improve? Well I guess I will find out as I do have an iRiver H140 with a special cap output that I installed to bypass the so-so stock blocking caps.

Don't forget I said 'To these ears' and 'MY own conclusions' - others, like HeadphoneAddict and Rdr. Seraphim, use amps and have reported improvements in SQ.

May 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #992 of 1,871
Geez do my molds look weird. Well off they go to Westone as the place I had do the molds doesn't work with Westone any longer even though Westone has them on their site as a dealer so I have to send them in. Second bend and open mouth. :^)

May 27, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #994 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
outside of headphone addict is there any other reviews of the es3x?

Search for posts by Sasaki, digihead, music_4321, Zanth, Blutarsky, and more...

May 28, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #996 of 1,871
Quote:

My short review:

Best IEMs I have ever owned! Soundstage equals or even betters my (formerly owned) Sennheiser I8s. Instrument balance and tonality is superb. Sense of realism uncanny.

The ES3Xs are also one of the most comfortable of any IEM that I have owned or used. I am fortunate to have gotten an excellent fit. I never lose the seal, and isolation is excellent.

I can X2 everything Larry states in his reviews of the ES3X!!!

May 28, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #997 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Sgt Pepper's. I wish they had better recorded it but still it is great music and fun.

So an amp does not improve? Well I guess I will find out as I do have an iRiver H140 with a special cap output that I installed to bypass the so-so stock blocking caps.

well this is also a bit of a totally different kettle of fish as well; anyone who doesnt hear an improvement using an external DAC/amp via optical has cauliflower ears; and I dont mean the rugby players syndrome where you end up with ears that look like cauliflower from wearing tape around your head and getting your head rucked on a daily basis. I mean you must have literal cauliflower ears to not hear a difference. YMMV though of course

I notice that very few people in this thread ever get custom art done?? I have a design in mind that is very iconic and simple; I understand why lairy designs would be avopided; I just wanted to add something to make them more..mine I guess. having a design background I cant resist. i'm loving that ise colour as well; is it possible to kinda mix your own colour?? because the list of colours does not include some of the ones I have seen produced

May 28, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #998 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well this is also a bit of a totally different kettle of fish as well; anyone who doesnt hear an improvement using an external DAC/amp via optical has cauliflower ears; and I dont mean the rugby players syndrome where you end up with ears that look like cauliflower from wearing tape around your head and getting your head rucked on a daily basis. I mean you must have literal cauliflower ears to not hear a difference. YMMV though of course

I notice that very few people in this thread ever get custom art done?? I have a design in mind that is very iconic and simple; I understand why lairy designs would be avopided; I just wanted to add something to make them more..mine I guess. having a design background I cant resist. i'm loving that ise colour as well; is it possible to kinda mix your own colour?? because the list of colours does not include some of the ones I have seen produced

I agree, the better the source and amp, the better they sound. It's nice that they can sound great out of an iPod headphone out, but the line out with a good amp is most often better to some degree, in some or all areas. They scale up well.

May 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #999 of 1,871
Quote:

k I will look into them I spoke to powder and it looks like I am all set just need to get to a audiologist and get out 'them impressions to westone.

You won't regret it! I've had mine for just two weeks and I'm enjoying it daily.

I did try to write down my impressions here and it took me more than 2 hours (English is not my 1st language) to finish and when I pressed the "Preview Post" button, everything was gone and I was logged out. So I'm not attempting to write my full impression here again.

Some background of me would be helpful.
I enjoy musicals, Chinese Operas and vocals. Most of the albums that I listen to are not western. I use PC -> D10 -> Lisa for audition. I'm not a gold ear.

My short review:
The bass of W3 is stronger than that of the ES3X. This is pretty noticeable when I listen to the "Hotel California" from the album "Hell Freeze Over" the XRCD version. Initially I found the W3 more fun. Now I enjoy the ES3X much more.

I tried the "Sky Burial" from the album "Sister Drum" the XRCD version and I found the bass is much more natural with the ES3X. So far after using the EX3X, I haven't encountered bloated bass.

When I listen to the "Those were the days" from the "Folk Song Tsoi Chin", I can tell fading of the echo of her voice.

When I listen to musicals, I can sense the minute "actions" of the signer, like the swallowing of the saliva or other similar actions ("Think of Me", "Phantom of the Opera", Track 3 of CD1. Also in track 5 of the same CD when Christin was singing).

When I was listening to a track of playing cello, I can actually sense the finger of the performer pressing the strings. When I listen to a Chinese Opera, I can tell the movement of the performer: he walked from the left to the right of the stage, back to the centre of the stage in a slow manner and walked back to the left of the stage in a quick manner.

Everything seems more real from this pair IEM.

I would choose "being there" to summarize my impression for the ES3X and have no reservation to recommend the ES3X to anyone.

May 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #1,000 of 1,871
Comment No.1000! [sorry, I just had to...]

May 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #1,002 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget I said 'To these ears' and 'MY own conclusions' - others, like HeadphoneAddict and Rdr. Seraphim, use amps and have reported improvements in SQ.

I noticed a positive difference with the Pico AMP/DAC combo, at least when compared with my iPhone 3G, or the output from my iMac. Some of this I attribute to the fine DAC section in the Pico, but there are definite differences between the amp sections as well. The sensitivity of the ES3X make it particularly easy to drive. So, amp SQ differences are lessened, but still evident. My inventory of amps is very limited at this point, so check out Larry's (HeadphoneAddict) postings for the most comprehensive review of the ES3X and amps and combo AMP/DACs.

The bottom line for me is a musically enjoyable experience. In the case of the ES3X, it's easy to "Love the one you're with!"

May 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,003 of 1,871
They will send my ES3X to The Ear Plug Superstore only on the 1.6 and The Ear Plug Superstore will get it on the 3.6, and then will send it to me and I will recieve it only on the 10.6 or something like that....

I can't wait anymore!!!!!
triportsad.gif
deadhorse.gif

May 28, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #1,004 of 1,871
wanna check out with those who just received their ES3X.
Do u guys noticed that the divider knob (I don't know what is it call actually) that separates the left & right wire, is it very tight and difficult to slide it up and down?
I just got back my ES3X the 3rd time, this time round I got a brand new cable and I notice the divider is very tight. I actually have to use quite bit of force to slide it up & down. Is this normal? Heard from the retailer that this is the new batch of wires??

On the other hand, it actually solve the problem of the divider sliding down after some time of wearing. I don't have to keep sliding it up from time to time..
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,005 of 1,871
So why are some of these taking 3 fits? I just sent off my impressions and I am hoping it won't be a revolving door for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back