Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
May 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #946 of 1,871
As the minute hairs that are used in part of the hearing system of your inner ear are "stunned" each time you insult them with too man decibels, you cause harm. Oh, you may recover but it adds up. Over 350,000,000 men in China smoke, a larger number than the population of the US. Many don't think it will hurt them and as I was told when I lived there by an "informed" person getting a higher degree, "we have genes that you don't have in the West that protect us. Sure right. It Will All Add Up.

May 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #947 of 1,871
I'm aware of the science behind destroying my hearing. I'm aware that even after the tinnitus goes away I've still damaged my hearing a little. I know it doesn't justify it but I only go to a concert like that every 2 years or so.

On topic, anyone able to comment on my question?

May 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #948 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know, I've tried earplugs in the past when going to shows but it's just so much less enjoyable with everything muffled. I'm aware I damage my hearing a little bit each time. The tinnitus goes away after about 24 hours (again, I know it's bad).

For the people who do have their ES3X already. How is the fit in the conch of your ear? While I do have a proper seal and what seems to be sufficient isolation the left monitor is still much more snug than the right in the conch portion of my ear. There is wiggle room on the right if that makes sense. The left is a very snug form fit while I can move the right one a little.

Quote:

I'm aware of the science behind destroying my hearing. I'm aware that even after the tinnitus goes away I've still damaged my hearing a little. I know it doesn't justify it but I only go to a concert like that every 2 years or so.

On topic, anyone able to comment on my question?

We can't answer your question till you agree to not have unprotected concerts or unprotected sex.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Okay, fine. I have almost no wiggle room with mine, and both sides are snug.

PS: One of these days you'll wake up and find the tinnitus is still there and never goes away.

May 20, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #949 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can't answer your question till you agree to not have unprotected concerts or unprotected sex.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Okay, fine. I have almost no wiggle room with mine, and both sides are snug.

PS: One of these days you'll wake up and find the tinnitus is still there and never goes away.

Funny you should say that thought because I was thinking on having plugs made now that I've had impressions done. What does a set of plugs run anyway? I'll keep the other part PG and say I totally agree.

Hmm I'm thinking a new impression might be in order for my right monitor. I contacted my audioligist this morning and she contacted Westone(and CCed me) so I'm waiting to hear back on what they think on the matter.

On another note my portable rig is coming together well, the ES3X sound amazing with the iRiver and D10. Got some black rubber bracelets the perfect size to hold them together. Now I'm just waiting on the slow shipping from Canada for my fiber cable.

May 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #950 of 1,871
Quote:

Funny you should say that thought because I was thinking on having plugs made now that I've had impressions done. What does a set of plugs run anyway? I'll keep the other part PG and say I totally agree.

Hmm I'm thinking a new impression might be in order for my right monitor. I contacted my audioligist this morning and she contacted Westone(and CCed me) so I'm waiting to hear back on what they think on the matter.

On another note my portable rig is coming together well, the ES3X sound amazing with the iRiver and D10. Got some black rubber bracelets the perfect size to hold them together. Now I'm just waiting on the slow shipping from Canada for my fiber cable.

I am actually using the cheap Ety universal musician earplugs, and they were under $20 is all I recall.

May 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #951 of 1,871
Quote:

Yeah I know, I've tried earplugs in the past when going to shows but it's just so much less enjoyable with everything muffled. I'm aware I damage my hearing a little bit each time. The tinnitus goes away after about 24 hours (again, I know it's bad).

For the people who do have their ES3X already. How is the fit in the conch of your ear? While I do have a proper seal and what seems to be sufficient isolation the left monitor is still much more snug than the right in the conch portion of my ear. There is wiggle room on the right if that makes sense. The left is a very snug form fit while I can move the right one a little.

Check out the Westone ear plugs, Style 49. Just ordered a set with the 15db filters. From the Westone web site: Style No. 49 :: Westone

"The earpiece of choice for performing musicians and concert attendees, the style 49 is also a great option for anyone who needs to hear accurately in high noise environments. Popular with music teachers, DJs, flight attendants, bartenders, waitresses, dentists and dental workers, the style 49 is a canal-style earplug that is virtually unnoticeable. The flat attenuation characteristics allow the wearer to hear accurately - but at a safer volume. Can be ordered with a choice of either 9, 15, or 25 dB filters."

A bit of dough for ear plugs, but variable attenuation is nice, custom fit, and flat attenuation. Protect your ears now, because they only gets worse with age.
wink_face.gif

May 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #952 of 1,871
hi guys,

i have a problem with my ES3X, on the right side i have slight buzzing sound when i tap on it lightly. It sounded like something is loose inside the right side. It this normal? its not affecting the music thou.

I thought its normal because its been like this since day 1, but today I pulled it out and tried to tap and listen to the buzz and realize something must be wrong with the right side.

the sound is amplified when inserting the right side into my ear, but if i do not touch the right side, the sound doesnt ring in my ear..

what should i do now? is tis a problem? My serial is 084

May 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #953 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys,

i have a problem with my ES3X, on the right side i have slight buzzing sound when i tap on it lightly. It sounded like something is loose inside the right side. It this normal? its not affecting the music thou.

I thought its normal because its been like this since day 1, but today I pulled it out and tried to tap and listen to the buzz and realize something must be wrong with the right side.

the sound is amplified when inserting the right side into my ear, but if i do not touch the right side, the sound doesnt ring in my ear..

klatzz, no-one's reported this problem here before as far as I know, but of course that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with your ES3X's. What you describe doesn't sound right. If I were you, I'd contact Westone and ask them directly about this. Let know us - if you decide to do so - how it goes.

Good luck!

May 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #954 of 1,871
Quote:

hi guys,

Klatzz, I'm glad you mentioned this because I experience something similar. I didn't mention it because it didn't seem to effect the sound, and was only noticeable when lightly tapping on the device, or during insertion. Interestingly enough, it's with my right ear too.
confused_face.gif

Maybe p0wderh0und23 can provide some insights?

May 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #955 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klatzz, I'm glad you mentioned this because I experience something similar. I didn't mention it because it didn't seem to effect the sound, and was only noticeable when lightly tapping on the device, or during insertion. Interestingly enough, it's with my right ear too.
confused_face.gif

Maybe p0wderh0und23 can provide some insights?

This can happen with the wires. Mine do it every now and then. Zero concern on that issue.

May 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #956 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p0wderh0und23 - Did you realy fix the gap between the connector to the earpiece so it sits flush on the earpiece?

By the way everyone, I consider this mostly an aesthetic issue since it doesn't seem to effect the sound quality. A loose connection can certainly result in degraded sound. It's a good idea to make sure that the connectors are firmly seated. And certainly the quality of the fit and finish of the ES3X deserves the same perfection in workmanship that its sound produces!

May 21, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #957 of 1,871
i already contacted westone, shd be going down to the shop to get them flown back. hopefully its not too late, i always tot its okay, until today i felt something strange when i tap it outside my ear, the buzzing is kinda weird..

May 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #959 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This can happen with the wires. Mine do it every now and then. Zero concern on that issue.

do u mean i should keep it with me? the buzzing is quite consistent, everytime i touch it or put them in the sound will ring. Infact, it never go away.

anyway, if I were to sent them back and find out that everything is fine and nothing is done to them. I will have to bear the cost right?

maybe i shd juz check with Jaben and see how..

Will update u guys.. i am in the far east, Singapore, if you know where it is..

May 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #960 of 1,871
Quote:

do u mean i should keep it with me? the buzzing is quite consistent, everytime i touch it or put them in the sound will ring. Infact, it never go away.

anyway, if I were to sent them back and find out that everything is fine and nothing is done to them. I will have to bear the cost right?

maybe i shd juz check with Jaben and see how..

Will update u guys.. i am in the far east, Singapore, if you know where it is..

If it is doing it "all" the time, it might be something else.
It's still a warranty item, so no harm in getting them checked out. You need to be happy with your investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back