Westone comparisons: 3 vs um3x vs 4
Jan 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sonichaos

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at these three headphones in particular and I have a few questions about how they compare.

For starters, I currently do not own any portable headphones. Also, the cans I do own (AKG K240s) do not isolate at all. Where I am now, I would much rather listen to music than my neighbors. As such, I am looking for a portable headphone with good isolation.
I really cannot stress enough that the epitome of the music experience is plug&play for me. I do not want headphones that constantly fall out of ears and cause fidgeting. I want to put them in, hit play, and sink in.

Now, onto the Westones. I've read a bit about each phone, and from what I'm seeing, it seems that the 3 has very powerful bass (to the point where it interferes with the other frequencies) while the 4 is more rounded, with a bigger emphasis on mids. The most comparable IEM I've owned is the Klipsch x10. Tbh, I wasn't exactly floored by the x10s, as wearing them up was awkward and when I wore them down, the seal would break too often. Most of all I thought the mids just weren't transparent enough.

My first question is: is my understanding of the phones accurate so far?
Question 2: Where does the UM3X fit in between the 3 and the 4?

P.S. If anybody could compare the Westone 3/um3x/4 with the x10 or the 1964 V3, that would be appreciated.

P.P.S. I'm also looking into the 1964 ears V3, and I'm definitely interested, but they're more expensive and they would take a long time to ship. I don't need these super fast, but I'd rather get these in a month than in 3 months. In light of that, is anyone aware of any sales/sale patterns from either company? Customs would obviously be great because of their isolation and how they would stay in my ear.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Jan 9, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Haven't heard the others, but if you EQ the Westone 3 you can get rid of the bass interference pretty effectively. I just use iTunes EQ and drag down the 125Hz, 250Hz, and 500Hz bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back