Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #226 of 257
Quote:
Having said that I REALLY REALLY HOPE  Westone is watching this thread and hopefully others like it and taking notes. Because they shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water here. They just need to fix a few things and then try again. If they do I also suggest they put together a focus group of users (possibly do a small controlled contest like VModa did with the M80 a few years ago) who under NDA will help them ensure they hit a sweet spot signature wise as well as overall functionality and design. They might want to even offer a very short term introductory price to regain buyer confidence in this new brand of their company.

Of course they are watching (it'd be foolish if they weren't), just like any other company that releases a new product — if they're going to keep an eye on the success/failure of this product, rest assured Head-fi will be the #1 place to do so, though I'm absolutely positive they're keeping an eye on other forums, too.

Quote:

As for the ADV, I think Westone can do better.

I've enjoyed several Westone products over the years, but it seems to me this latest offering—from all reports I've seen—is quite frankly a flop, and we mustn't be afraid / too careful to say so openly — $200 is a lot of money for many people who would expect something (a lot) better. It's also in the company's interest, as well as the consumers', that we are as straightforward as we can be.

That said, it's a very good thing we've had several early adopters who seem to be fairly honest about their impressions, something pretty uncommon when a new product is released, where we normally tend to get/see plenty of hyperbole, mindless praise, hype, etc.... what is often referred to as FOTM.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #227 of 257
This earphone is not meant to compare with any other 'audiophile' IEM. It's meant to be worn outside and not connected with amplifiers with silver cables and other non sense (hopefully you dont carry such rigs while cycling, running, or even scuba diving)  It is more of a sporty IEM.

When you're outside I dont see how you get the perfect sound (with other earphones) with all the noise around.

The price tag ($200) should be taken that it can be taken outside and take some abuse.

The sound is better than most IEMs priced over $300.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #228 of 257
Quote:
This earphone is not meant to compare with any other 'audiophile' IEM. It's meant to be worn outside and not connected with amplifiers with silver cables and other non sense (hopefully you dont carry such rigs while cycling, running, or even scuba diving)  It is more of a sporty IEM.

When you're outside I dont see how you get the perfect sound (with other earphones) with all the noise around.

The price tag ($200) should be taken that it can be taken outside and take some abuse.

The sound is better than most IEMs priced over $300.

Sorry, but Westone stated it so they should back it up:

"AUDIOPHILE FIDELITY
Proprietary Extended Range 6.5mm Micro Driver with PST™ (Precision Surface Tuning) delivers sonic accuracy with extended bass."

Senn makes a few $79 sport earbuds and in-ears that are meant to take some abuse in the outside world and sound good for the price. $200 needs a level of SQ that the Alpha seemingly falls a bit short of according to the impressions.

Really don't think(certainly doesn't sound like) the sound is better than "most IEM's priced over $300". Sounds like we can mention quite a few ~$100 sets that sound better(S1, RE-400, CKN70 etc.)

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #230 of 257
It does live up to the bass. Senn. earbuds never stay in my ears esp the OCX series. I cant say they can take abuse since they keep falling out of my ears and had to return them before I'm stuck with it. Their built quality doesnt feel worth the original price. Also the bass of Senn is more bloated than the ADV.
You're right about some $100 IEMs sounding better than this one.
Quote:

Sorry, but Westone stated it so they should back it up:

"AUDIOPHILE FIDELITY
Proprietary Extended Range 6.5mm Micro Driver with PST™ (Precision Surface Tuning) delivers sonic accuracy with extended bass."

Senn makes a few $79 sport earbuds and in-ears that are meant to take some abuse in the outside world and sound good for the price. $200 needs a level of SQ that the Alpha seemingly falls a bit short of according to the impressions.

Really don't think(certainly doesn't sound like) the sound is better than "most IEM's priced over $300". Sounds like we can mention quite a few ~$100 sets that sound better(S1, RE-400, CKN70 etc.)

I dont want to mention which ones, but surely no one's going to go an adventure with a $300 and above pair of IEMs.
Quote:

Like which ones exactly?

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #231 of 257
Okay, I got a pair of SE215 LTD's specifically to compare to the ADV. I know that a lot of people like the SE215, and I was told by Tomscy2000 that the LTD and ADV sound similar.

Initial impressions are exactly that. They do have a similar sort of signature. Now that I think more about it, the ADV may have targeted exactly the same signature and gone for a more premium build. The SE215 seems to have a bit more vocal richness but the ADV sounds tighter and cleaner. On very initial impressions I kind of prefer the SE215 LTD.

I am pretty sure that anyone who liked the SE215 but wish it a) wasn't made out of a seemingly very durable metal instead of plastic b) water resistant c) was willing to pay twice the price (or only an extra $50 if you factor in the slightly crazy price that Shure charges for the iPhone remote cable) would like the ADV. 

I think the question really does hinge on how much more money people are willing to pay for build quality / durability, because in terms of sound they are close to toe to toe.

I will probably update my ADV review to reflect this...

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #232 of 257
Decided to give these a shot since my buds/iems always take a bit of a beating, my poor UE 5s need a reshell and my cheaper UE vi plug went.  I wanted an IEM for use with my iPhone and mobile listening and these seemed reasonable cost-wise. 

So far I agree with other reviews - these are "dark", very bass heavy with a weird timbre to the mid/upper range.  I can EQ them to sound better but generally I prefer a flatter sound like UE provides or the signature from my Grado SR-325i.  It's surprisingly noticeable and distracting.  I really don't like to use an EQ but I'm going to give them a few days and see what I think.  Right now I'm not in love with the SQ/signature.  I haven't tried them out on my pocket amp or hooked up to one of my AVRs but I don't normally use them with an IEM and do not plan to - they have to sound good direct into my phone.  If I return these I may go UE again even though I'm not in love with their longevity since I like their sound a lot.

The build is beautiful and sturdy, they should use this shell everywhere - I'd happily have bought the 215 or 315 if it came in this mag case.  The mic/controls are pretty huge which I'm not a fan of, my cheap UE vi model has one about 1/4 of the size although no volume control.  Cloth cable is nice and I'm happy the over ear section is rubberized and not a wire, more comfortable for me and easier to wrap.  Comes with a nice carry case.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #233 of 257
Wanted to add a little more info - cable is pretty low on microphonics, it will make noise when it rubs but not when you tap on it, if the sheathing wer smoother it would probably be even less. 

Comfort is good although I haven't played with tips yet and my customs are for UE so don't fit.  Fits fairly well under my motocycle helmet but, even though flush, isn't a good bedtime choice if you are going to have your head to the side.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #234 of 257
Quote:
The build is beautiful and sturdy, they should use this shell everywhere - I'd happily have bought the 215 or 315 if it came in this mag case.

A thousand times yes. I would pay good, good money for an IEM with the SE215LTD signature and the ADV design. This is by far the best aspect of the ADV.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #235 of 257
+2 Westone is definitely on to something here. They just need to switch up the driver or possibly retune it if the filter materials cause the signature.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #236 of 257
I don't think there's hope, you can change the damper for one with less resistance for less bass and more mids and treble but that resonant point will jump and become harsh

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #237 of 257
The S4i has a bit too much of irritating highs for my taste. How's it compare with the S4i? Does it have more bass than the S4i? Thanks

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #238 of 257
I think the ADV just might be the perfect earphone for me.  I usually only use earphones while running or biking (not on streets).  I've had good luck with the Westone 3 for over 3 years, but recently the left earphone would stop working at times.  I believe sweat has gotten inside.  It seems that when I let it sit for a day, it starts to work again.  Then when I wear it while sweating, it stops again.  I went with the Westone 3 because they were recommended by Earphone Solutions as the best 'sports' earphones.  Not sure that's actually true.  They don't seem to have any 'sport' features such as water resistance.  Even Flavio at Earphone Solutions said he wore his to the gym all the time.  Getting only 3 years of use out of such an expensive product is not something I want to go through again, so I just ordered the ADV.

As far as the discussions on sound, I think the ADV will suit me perfectly.  When riding my bike, I get a lot of wind noise and a not so perfect seal sometimes.  When I'm running, I can hear my blood pumping in my ears.  I think the extra bass will be welcomed here.  I'm not looking for audiophile qualtiy, just good highs and lows (esp. a tight bass).  If I was sitting at home on the couch listening, then it would be a totally different story.

Just wanted to add that I'm in hot and humid Virginia.  Running in 109 heat index.  I currently ride about 190 miles a week and run about 22 miles a week.  So I definitely want something rugged, that will last.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #240 of 257
Quote:
I think the ADV just might be the perfect earphone for me.  I usually only use earphones while running or biking (not on streets).  I've had good luck with the Westone 3 for over 3 years, but recently the left earphone would stop working at times.  I believe sweat has gotten inside.  It seems that when I let it sit for a day, it starts to work again.  Then when I wear it while sweating, it stops again.  I went with the Westone 3 because they were recommended by Earphone Solutions as the best 'sports' earphones.  Not sure that's actually true.  They don't seem to have any 'sport' features such as water resistance.  Even Flavio at Earphone Solutions said he wore his to the gym all the time.  Getting only 3 years of use out of such an expensive product is not something I want to go through again, so I just ordered the ADV.

As far as the discussions on sound, I think the ADV will suit me perfectly.  When riding my bike, I get a lot of wind noise and a not so perfect seal sometimes.  When I'm running, I can hear my blood pumping in my ears.  I think the extra bass will be welcomed here.  I'm not looking for audiophile qualtiy, just good highs and lows (esp. a tight bass).  If I was sitting at home on the couch listening, then it would be a totally different story.

Just wanted to add that I'm in hot and humid Virginia.  Running in 109 heat index.  I currently ride about 190 miles a week and run about 22 miles a week.  So I definitely want something rugged, that will last.

Hi nixa,
I'm extremely interested in how these do for biking. My current biking IEM of choice is audio-technica ATH-CKM500i, but it has a good deal of wind noise, and I've also started to have trouble with the inline remote, because it stops working if any sweat gets into it. I've been considering the Westone ADVs to replace them. I'm also a Westone 3 user, although I never wear them biking or running, but it sounds like we may hear things similarly. Also 190 miles a week riding and 22 miles a week running is awesome! I'm currently only about half that at 13 miles a week running and 90 miles a week riding. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Thanks!
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back