Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #106 of 257
I want to apologize for any negative comments as that's not what this forum is for, I'm a strong believer in always finding something nice to say even in the bad. I re read my "review" and find myself cursing because I used such strong words and I truly appreciate westone as a company and also what they are trying to do with this headphone. I will restrain myself from the excitement of a new product and eagerly and prematurely making comments on the sound of it. I need to learn to calm down and formulate what it is I'm exactly trying to convey with my message/review. This all comes with expirience I believe. Still in my twenties and I have aLot of learning to do.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #107 of 257
Quote:
I want to apologize for any negative comments as that's not what this forum is for, I'm a strong believer in always finding something nice to say even in the bad. I re read my "review" and find myself cursing because I used such strong words and I truly appreciate westone as a company and also what they are trying to do with this headphone. I will restrain myself from the excitement of a new product and eagerly and prematurely making comments on the sound of it. I need to learn to calm down and formulate what it is I'm exactly trying to convey with my message/review. This all comes with expirience I believe. Still in my twenties and I have aLot of learning to do.

I certainly hope you don't feel badly at all for offering up your honest impressions.  If people don't feel they can speak with candor, there is little value in having a community like this.  Most threads are overly positive and lack realistic qualifications on how a IEM performs, which is why threads like Joker's multi-IEM review is valued so highly by long-time members. 

If your impressions haven't changed, please don't feel compelled to alter them out of some misguided belief that you need to sugar coat things. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #109 of 257
Nhare90 your posts were honest and genuine so don't worry. I appreciated your candor. It will help others coming from similar IEM's as you know what they will get at first if nothing else. No opinion is perfect I often over hype so it's all good :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #110 of 257
Red star tips may be too long, resonates treble, black and green may work better
interesting point Inks I will try those tips and see how they work.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #111 of 257
Yup general rule, longer tips=more treble resonance. It's fine when the iem needs to be evened out but not for those that need more treble

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #112 of 257
I was actually using the orange tip which does not have an equivalent with the shorter tips I can use the widest short tip and really jam them in deep to get a seal but find it makes the IEM lose some of it's spaciousness. I think I use tips abnormally though in that I like big tips and have them fill just the first part of the canal versus deeper into the canal.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #113 of 257
Hmm yeah that's the problem, you seem to have a bigger canal so black star tips may not be able to seal shallow [which I assume is it's proper insertion depth based on the other Westones]. Maybe try different tips altogether, good luck! Though it's also likely the design is of low acoustic impedance which means the taming of the longer tip isn't as bad as it would be on other Westones. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #114 of 257
Before I forget I need to give a shout out to Earphone Solutions. I used a discount code I was not supposed to be able to use, so ended up having to pay the full 199. Earphone Solutions in exchange sent these to me in 2 days (I live in Canada so this had to be expensive). This is the first time I have gotten to offer some of the first impressions of an IEM. They certainly know how to look after a customer.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #115 of 257
Inks, I just trimmed my orange tips so they are not so long and that did the trick :)

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #117 of 257
Inks, I just trimmed my orange tips so they are not so long and that did the trick
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice! Forgot you could do that. Hopefully not too short, the length of the green or blacks should do.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #118 of 257
Quote:
Yup general rule, longer tips=more treble resonance. It's fine when the iem needs to be evened out but not for those that need more treble

Ahh now I think I know part of the reason so many people recommend the Meelac triple flanges with the GR07.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #119 of 257
Nice! Forgot you could do that. Hopefully not too short, the length of the green or blacks should do.
I misjudged a bit on one side but still works :) I have a 2nd pair so may try again but will see as these are working OK so far.

One thing with the ADV is it doesn't work quite as well as my UE900 at lower volumes due to the treble being a bit softer. But for out and about use which is why it is designed I think Westone has nailed it.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #120 of 257
I have had some trouble getting a proper fit with the ADV. None of the star tips worked for me (don't let that dissuade anyone...I have trouble with most IEMs and usually need to try 6-7 tips before I find the right ones. D@mn big ear canals!)

Anyway, I had been using double-flanges to get a good seal and found the bass to be just too much.
This morning, I have been using large Shure flex-sleeves and getting a shallower seal. Bass impact is more acceptable.

Still not sure if these are going to be for me, though. I think I have become a BA guy at heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back