Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Aug 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #241 of 257
I bought the ADV just a week ago and today I found that the volume controls (up and down) failed. It turns out I am not the only one. Read the reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-78400-Adventure-Performance-Earphones/dp/B00DAPQTTS/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377572889&sr=1-13

All I did was just wearing it while I was running outside. You would think WEATHER RESISTANT means the headphones can handle a bit sweat, wouldn't you? Both my UM1 and 4R have been fine with that, but not the "crossover" ADV.

I just wrote to Westone and haven't heard back from them yet.

BTW, the cable noise is very, very disappointing. I have to wear the clip pretty much all the time.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #242 of 257
Quote:
Hi nixa,
I'm extremely interested in how these do for biking. My current biking IEM of choice is audio-technica ATH-CKM500i, but it has a good deal of wind noise, and I've also started to have trouble with the inline remote, because it stops working if any sweat gets into it. I've been considering the Westone ADVs to replace them. I'm also a Westone 3 user, although I never wear them biking or running, but it sounds like we may hear things similarly. Also 190 miles a week riding and 22 miles a week running is awesome! I'm currently only about half that at 13 miles a week running and 90 miles a week riding. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Thanks!
George

Hey George, So sorry for the late response.  I guess I never got an email about this post.  I've actually had to taper down the miles as of late due to various reasons, but hoping to get back up soon.

Anyway, for biking I'm really liking the ADVs.  Wind noise is minimal.  I think about the least you can expect.  My old UEs were much worse and these are about the same as the Westone 3.  I guess folks are having issues with sweat getting into the remote and ruining the controls.  I haven't had that issue yet and have sweat all over them.  Hope it won't happen, but if it does, I know they're still under warranty.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #243 of 257
My remote just failed as well.  Emailed Earphone Solutions but my guess is they will direct me to Westone since it's been 5 weeks since my purchase.  If that happens, it will be my last purchase from them.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #245 of 257
  My remote just failed as well.  Emailed Earphone Solutions but my guess is they will direct me to Westone since it's been 5 weeks since my purchase.  If that happens, it will be my last purchase from them.

Update.  Earphone Solutions pointed me to Westone at first, who also responded after a few days asking me to send them in.  I sent a second email to earphone solutions asking for a refund since I was afraid this would happen again (and again), and they agreed to refund me.  

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #246 of 257
I've tried searching the thread and didn't find an exact answer for this, but can Shure cables be used in place of the stock cable?

My SE215LTD is my gym beater, but tends to require a lot of connector cleaner to keep the channels from shorting. Willing to pay a few extra bucks for something more rugged with similar SQ.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #247 of 257
Steve,

No they will not.  I've tried swapping my Shure SE425 Cable with the ADV because I prefer the Shure cable without the remote for use in the gym.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #248 of 257
Sorry to disagree but I was able to fit my SE215 cables on the ADV when I had my pair. They fit OK but do not have the same sealed level of connection you get from the default cable.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #249 of 257
Sorry to disagree but I was able to fit my SE215 cables on the ADV when I had my pair. They fit OK but do not have the same sealed level of connection you get from the default cable.

Hmm, I'll have to give it a try again tonight.  As I recall it seemed like the cable end was larger than the inlet hole for the ADV.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #250 of 257
Yes dweaver you are correct the cable does produce sound when somewhat connected, however I don't believe the cable connects as intended.  Meaning it doesn't fully seat into the phone and doesn't function as intended (no swivel function).   So as long as you don't make any massive head jerks while working out it should stay connected, I put it through the test at the gym.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #251 of 257
These have been rated high in Consumer Reports magazine. Forgot the other models but they did beat some of the Sennheisers (not IE800) and other major brands but the lower models. I wish I could give this a go, but having the 4R, I wont be happy me thinks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #253 of 257
I don't really have any 'hi-end' iems but i just bought these for $79 plus tax (Techbargins coupon for BuyDig) and I really like them. The coupon isn't valid anymore but check regularly and you never know what will show up.  Amazon has them for $179 so i think i got a great deal.

I haven't tried them outside yet but they seem very durable except the cord seems to tangle a bit.  Not sure how one can lift weights and not get tangled with the cord (regardless of headphone/iem) but I am not a weightlifter. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #254 of 257
Too dark for my taste.  Returning it.  Fits well, isolate well, well-made and comfortable.  But I buy them for sound quality.

May 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #255 of 257
My ADV Alpha has failed me today.
I noticed I wasn't hearing anything on the right side, and when I took it out to look I found that the housing became completely detached and wiring is exposed.

I purchased these in late April of last year.  So about 1 year old.

I opened a ticket with Westone today.
I don't want to be w/o workout headphones for long.
Does anybody know if they're going to charge me to fix for this?
I purchased them under a really good promotion.  ($79). 
If they're going to charge me anywhere near that, I might just go for something new......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back