Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #181 of 257
I ended up returning these.  Couldn't get a good comfortable seal with shallow insertion and bass just too overpowering for me with deeper insertions.
It really is a nice overall package though.

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #183 of 257
Use a larger tip that fits securely in the top part of the ear canal without having to be inserted deep into the ear. When I have my pair in ear they are nice and secure.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #185 of 257
I think the thing with the ADV is that it has plenty of bass response with a shallow fit and can become to much with a deep insertion. Other IEM's on the other hand require a deep insertion to have the right amount of bass. Generally speaking I can't handle deep insertion so have to avoid most of those IEM's.

Anyway give a try as you suggest and see what happens :)

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #186 of 257
I have to say I am struggling because I end turning these up to much to hit the sweet spot sound wise and notice ear fatigue. I am going to deliberately keep them turned down volume wise to see if I can get used to their signature without hurting my ears.

My old ears may just need a stronger mid/treble signature (might explain my UE900, DT1350, and other mid/treble oriented gear LOL.

Still not ready to give up quite yet though...

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #187 of 257
What I've just been doing is using normal size tips, just not pushing them all the way in or straightening out my ear canal like you usually would. In fact I even pull them out slightly, though I still get a seal.

The signature is definitely still dark but I have a preference leaning towards darker myself.

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #188 of 257
Since Westone provide both universal and custom iem's, what's the chances that they'd provide custom tips for a phone like this?

I ask as I often get irritation from silicone tips, and my Cosmic Ears customs are MUCH more comfortable than most of the universals I've tried.

I've had some success with foam style tips, but find them a little inconvenient compared to the customs as I have to remove my gloves ( manual labour ) every time I want to remove or replace the iem's.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #189 of 257
Give em a shout via email. Not seen them but if the tips are the same as other westone models then the um56 should fit anyway no? Cheers

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #191 of 257
Unfortunately my preference leans towards mid/treble (mostly bright) so I am actually starting to think I will return these to Earphone Solutions and get something different. Not sure what yet but something... If anyone is interested I would be willing to sell these for the cost minus restocking fee's ($170) passing the savings on to someone else versus just returning to the vendor.

I am going to see if I have time to do up a review of them this weekend.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #193 of 257
Quote:
I'm curious to see more comparisons to the SE215...

I think they are at the level of the 215's or above, they do need a slight addition of treble to truly shine but they are quite clear for a dynamic driver. I've used mine for a while now and listened to them for about 8-9 hours straight flying to Germany, and never got tired of them. I used the lime westone star tips and they had great isolation, and it worked especially well on a crowded 747. What I really regret doing was not changing the cable before leaving, this cable is quite durable and nice looking, akin to paracord but I would have much rather used a braided cable due to the flexibility. I don't use the 215s much because they are too big for my ears but I consider the sound signatures similar, but the adv have a solid bass reminiscent of the crossfade M80s. 

Although I enjoyed them, I did use them with amping from a headstage arrow 4 with treble boost 1. Source was a international galaxy S3 using neutron audio player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back