Westone 4R, Phonak PFE 232 or UE 900
Jan 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

howardroak

New Head-Fier
Dear head-fi community,
I've read countless threads over the last couple of weeks in this forum but still I can't make up my mind about which of the above mentioned high scoring universal IEM's I should pick to upgrade my current setup (Sennheiser IE8 with and without Fiio E7 hooked up to an iPod Nano 6th Generation or a Thinkpad X200).

Auditioning the products personally isn't possible in my location (Netherlands) as far as I know.
What I'm after is the best possible musicality in a universal IEM.
From my wording you can see that I'm not yet wise in the terms most often used here to describe sound signatures and performance features.
Mostly I'm listening to Indie/Alternative, Singer Songwriter, Jazz, Classical and Acoustic.
The IEM is going to be used for long uninterrupted sessions of up to 5 hours.
Phonak's big plus is that they offer a 30 day money back guarantee so I could go buying them first with the option to return with full refund.
Both Phonak and Ultimate Ears include an iPhone/iPod/iPad remote cable while Westone doesn't.

I'm curious to hear what you can tell me and if the post remains unanswered I'll just have to continue reading and go with my gut feeling.
Thanks a lot already.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 39
I would go Westone if I were you. Then Phonak then UE. If you can audition them all, do that first. You'll have a clearer choice that way. My recommendations only are based on musical tastes, not personal preference.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 39
The PFE232 are better pick because they comes with filters to shape the sound you like most(bassy, balanced ect). They sound very detailed more than IE8 and sound signature is close to IE8 with greater details, fairly wide soundstage and good bass response. Westone 4R are also good buy and they are neutral, detailed IEMs(recommended).

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:
The PFE232 are better pick because they comes with filters to shape the sound you like most(bassy, balanced ect). They sound very detailed more than IE8 and sound signature is close to IE8 with greater details, fairly wide soundstage and good bass response. Westone 4R are also good buy and they are neutral, detailed IEMs(recommended).

The 4R is not neutral (without modification).  They can handle classical better than the PFE can with any filter setup.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

The 4R is not neutral (without modification).  They can handle classical better than the PFE can with any filter setup.  

Can I ask why?  I'm curious to hear the 4r.  What makes them better for classical?

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
I would go Westone if I were you. Then Phonak then UE. If you can audition them all, do that first. You'll have a clearer choice that way. My recommendations only are based on musical tastes, not personal preference.

Thanks tinyman392. what would you suggest if you base your recommendation on personal preference?

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:
Thanks tinyman392. what would you suggest if you base your recommendation on personal preference?

When I said personal preference, I meant your personal preference (every person has a preference, and it may differ).  That said, I knew nothing, or very little, about your personal preferences of sound.  

My preferences may not suit up to what you like.  I prefer a more neutral sound, so the UE 900 would be the one from that list.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

When I said personal preference, I meant your personal preference (every person has a preference, and it may differ).  That said, I knew nothing, or very little, about your personal preferences of sound.  

My preferences may not suit up to what you like.  I prefer a more neutral sound, so the UE 900 would be the one from that list.  

Thanks again. I'll try to audition them all even though the task won't be easy. Even if I manage to listen to them prior to purchase I can't A/B them.
Right now I'm leaning towards the UE 900, mostly because it seems the package is more complete.
I really like the iDevice remote for the added functionality it provides. 
It also seems like all three are very capable phones with rather minuscule variations.
Another point I have to consider is that I can't really wear them over and behind the ear due to a birthmark which leaves my right ear attached to the head at the arch of the ear.
A feature I never really noticed before I tried to fit my IE8 over the ear.
That means I'll have to wear them straight down.
Although I repeat myself I'd like to say thank you again for the feedback I'm getting.

PS: Considering the selection and its criteria above. Should I also consider the Shure SE535? 

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 39
I haven't heard the SE535, so I really can't say much :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
Thanks again. I'll try to audition them all even though the task won't be easy. Even if I manage to listen to them prior to purchase I can't A/B them.
Right now I'm leaning towards the UE 900, mostly because it seems the package is more complete.
I really like the iDevice remote for the added functionality it provides. 
It also seems like all three are very capable phones with rather minuscule variations.
Another point I have to consider is that I can't really wear them over and behind the ear due to a birthmark which leaves my right ear attached to the head at the arch of the ear.
A feature I never really noticed before I tried to fit my IE8 over the ear.
That means I'll have to wear them straight down.
Although I repeat myself I'd like to say thank you again for the feedback I'm getting.

PS: Considering the selection and its criteria above. Should I also consider the Shure SE535? 

I'd really say that comes down to high frequency preference.  I haven't heard the 4r yet, but will comment once I do.  However, the 4r and 232 have good to great treble extension/quality.  The shure 535 does not in comparison.  It's acceptable considering the rest of the frequencies qualities, but no where near the other two in treble.  The plus for the 535 "might" be the moldable ear guides.  You might be able to mold it around your ear the way you want to to fit it correctly.  Not sure if that would make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back