Westone 4 Vs UM3X Vs UE 900
Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

concreteroze

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Forgive me i know this is an overkilled topic but i'm afraid i have to bring it up in yet another similar thread because from all the threads i've read, I somehow drift further and further from a decision. Okay so i'm making a huge investment upgrade from my current senn IE8. So i really want to get this right, without any regrets if possible. I hear the Shure SE535s are really good, might best all the above but those are the most expensive i believe.. ($$ :/) So I've narrowed it down to those 3 IEs listed on title.

Now that the TF10s are no longer in production (But still in sale?), the next in line is the UE900 i believe? I listen to (from most listened to least):
  • Acoustic music
  • Country music
  • Typical pop and alternative
  • R&B, Blues / Soul
  • Experimental and ambient music like geotic and sigur ros
  • Classical (bach/tchaikovsky to epic music like 2 steps from hell) AND opera (like pavarotti)
  • Club/house/chillstep

Not much or rock or metal or with very heavy percussion. Lots of strings and piano. From these genres, what would you guys recommend? Especially if you guys have the same music tastes as i do.

I listen most often when i'm on the move which averages about 3+ hours a day in commuting environments. And noting that UM3X is significantly the cheaper one. Could anyone who owns and have tried all 3 comment and give me any advice?

On a side note, if anyone could comment on earsonic sm3v2 that would be great too. I hear great reviews about this piece but the reason why its not in the 3 choices is because my country does not have any distributors. But i could always look to amazon, earphonesolutions.

So thank you all in advance for your comments! I really appreciate it!

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 13
For the full list of genres above, I would take a W4 over the UE 900.  I have no comparisons with the UM3X though. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 13
The W4R are better pick there are few more IEMs which sound as good as W4R or better like PFE232, Sony EX1000, Heir Audio 4Ai and CK100Pro.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
The W4R are better pick there are few more IEMs which sound as good as W4R or better like PFE232, Sony EX1000, Heir Audio 4Ai and CK100Pro.

I can't speak for the rest, but I found the W4R better than the 4.Ai and at the level of the PFE232 in terms of technicality.  I would still go with the W4R over the PFE though because classical is in the list of genres he listens to. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Thumbs up on the W4 with classical and acoustic. The warm and polished mids make some magic out of the those genres. The UM3X has this weird presentation for classical, everything's laid flat, and just not dimensional enough (and these are IEMs we're talking about, so not much to start off with from the beginning). Violins sound too thick as well. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks so much guys! Not many opinions, but i made the purchase on the W4. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Just one more question, the internet seems quite divided on this. Which has better sound/instrumental separation? i hear some say UM3x some say w4. :S

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I have 4r but don't have UM3X. Satisfied with 4R in most aspects. UM3X is designed for stage performers as stated in the official website, more geared towards monitoring. 4R is for personal listening. Perhaps this give you a clue.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Thanks so much guys! Not many opinions, but i made the purchase on the W4. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Just one more question, the internet seems quite divided on this. Which has better sound/instrumental separation? i hear some say UM3x some say w4. :S

They both have excellent instrument separation but it just sounds more apparent on UM3X because the soundstage is so tiny and closed in.  The W4 has a pretty large soundstage so the extra space sounds more real and natural.  I am a big fan of UM3X but the more openess and air of W4 make it more musical and fun to listen to.  The only criteria UM3X beats it is bass slam and weight.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks Nnrun. The thing is, i do a bit of recording as well so i would be using my w4 for monitoring as well. But not as much as i would be using it for personal listening.

And thanks spyro, I noticed that as well. Perhaps it is my tips but even my ie8 seemed to have greater bass weight than the w4, though the latter beats it in every other aspect. Perhaps i could get a portable amp? What would you recommend?

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Thanks Nnrun. The thing is, i do a bit of recording as well so i would be using my w4 for monitoring as well. But not as much as i would be using it for personal listening.

And thanks spyro, I noticed that as well. Perhaps it is my tips but even my ie8 seemed to have greater bass weight than the w4, though the latter beats it in every other aspect. Perhaps i could get a portable amp? What would you recommend?

Of course your IE8 has greater bass. It's a dynamic driver IEM, what do you expect? Even my JH13's bass shy away when compare to dynamic bass monsters like IE8... BAs will never have the bass rumble of dynamics

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 13
I got my westone 4r in today and even though they have the btg sunrise cable upgrade. The sound is phenomenal. Its definitely a audiophiles earphone. Completely blown away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back