westone 4 vs ie8?
Jul 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

masuuuuud

Head-Fier
I've been looking all over the net i couldnt seem to find one, so i was wondering, which of these is better? I listen to the hip hop genre, and a bit of dubstep. How do they hold up on bass qauntity/ quality, sound staging, durbaility?  etc...

Danke

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 13
From what I've read, the Westone 3 has more bass then the Westone 4 and dynamic IEMs will almost always have more bass then BA IEMs. IE8 has more bass/soundstage and I read the W4 is more balanced/has better sound quality. I could be wrong about the W4 since I've never listened to it but that's what I've read on here.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 13
I've compared the W4 against the IE8 side by side and I found the W4 to be much better. I thought the IE8 sounded very unnatural, both in terms of soundstage and the overall presentation of the music.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I've compared the W4 against the IE8 side by side and I found the W4 to be much better. I thought the IE8 sounded very unnatural, both in terms of soundstage and the overall presentation of the music.

but given his choice in music, i think he would enjoy the ie8 more. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:

I wasn't aware there is a definitive NATURAL sound in terms of soundstage and presentation in regards specifically to hip hop and dubstep.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 13
lol. its been a while sinc ei had the ie8 but i always consider buying them again.  for your choice in music go witht the ie8 out of those two.    the w4 technically is a better earphone but the sound is too balanced.  youll be missing bass thump and some texture. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Currently I'm switching between W4, MTPC, and IE8s on my daily commute. Today I'm using the IE8s, and I must say I honestly like them just as much as the W4s. The W4s are more intimate and closed in with a narrower soundstage, but has amazing accuracy, balance, and DETAIL. I have never listened to an IEM as detailed as the W4s. The IE8s, on the other hand, have a much greater soundstage and sound much more natural than the W4s. The MTPC's just look good in the ear and shine in the sun.. I don't know how people say they're better than the IE8s because to me, it's clearly no match. The MTPC bass and the highs extend quite well, but it sounds way too unnatural and not as detailed as the IE8s or the W4s. I'm not saying the MTPCs are bad, but just not as good as the IE8s or W4s. But if I ever want to feel stylish, I put on the MTPCs. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I've been looking all over the net i couldnt seem to find one, so i was wondering, which of these is better? I listen to the hip hop genre, and a bit of dubstep. How do they hold up on bass qauntity/ quality, sound staging, durbaility?  etc...

Danke

If you're into hip hop and dubstep, I definitely would not recommend the W4. I had both, for the music genre you're into the iem has to deliver high impact or slams in their presentation, which is lacking in the W4 imo of course. Don't get me wrong the W4 is an excellent iem, if you're into listening to Schubert Piano Trio wearing a smoking jacket, drinking twenty years old scotch and conspicuously aware how accurately they portray the timbre of the Guadagnini violin. With the IE8 you get better extensions in the low and high frequency with a  bigger soundstage. If you choose to dial the bass up, close your eyes, and you're in a stadium with Eminem or Lil Wayne. In Head-Fi you really have to take opinions with a grain a salt, a lot of it are echos or regurgitation of a few very valid ideas. The worst offenders are people giving recommendation when they have absolutely no experience with a specific music genre. Base on your music preference and if you would put the IE 8 and W4 in a cage fight, the IE 8 would be all over the W4 slapping it around like a little bitch ( imo ). 

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Regarding durability, my W4 had blown drivers only after two months ( that might just be my bad luck ) and I do feel the IE 8 has a more robust built quality to it.

yea. earphones with these nozzles scare me. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Although i do not have any experience with the W4, I do have a pair of ie8s.  It seems that ur going to be using ur headphones for more bass oriented listening, so id recommend ie8s, because they have fully adjustable bass, so u can crank it if u feel like (thats what i do at least :p)
Also they are quite durable, (kevlar coated cables :xf_eek: ) and even if they do break, my experience with sennheiser and warranty has been marvelous!!!

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 13
between these, two, I would definitely recommend the IE 8 in terms of sound quality/sound signature. I think it's best if you were able to listen to both yourself, so take my impressions with a grain of salt: I auditioned both a few days ago and I didn't like the W4 very much.. to me it sounded like they were trying too hard to do everything right and as a result messed up the bigger picture (i.e. sacrificing a well-rounded sound signature for extreme albeit unnatural detail, extension, soundstage and imaging, which gives a sort of horizontally stretched imaging compared to the round presentation of the IE 8, hope you can follow :p).
The IE 8s would suit you better for your genre IMO, but aren't without faults either: compared to other IEMs, you might notice that they have more sub-bass (or perceived sub-bass), i.e. in the 50-100 Hz range, but may lack some punch in the 100-200 Hz (I'm guesstimating the numbers) range. Their sound signature is typically Sennheiser (laid back, darker, not extremely detailed, some would call it boring, or at least inconspicuous) with more emphasis in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back