Westone 4 replacement
Jan 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Unfortunately it looks like I got water in my W4's. They're sounding 'wrong'. I'll have a go at drying them out but I have a feeling they're toast.

I also bought a 4R more recently which I'd hoped would give me cable options for phones, but got rid of it as I also have the SE535 which I use with the CBL's and I've found that fits me a whole lot better, though I don't like the sound of the Shure as much. The standard 4 doesn't fit me as well as the 535's either but they're better than the 4R. Which is why I've gone to and fro between the two depending on how/with what I'll be using generic IEM's for that day. For extended traveling I use a JH.

Sound-wise, I've been happiest with the 4 out of the generics I've had. But I haven't really looked beyond Shure, Ety, Westone, UE and Earsonics and there seem to be waaaaaaay more on the market now. Is there anything else that's survived Flavor Of The Month? Or should I just get another 4?

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 5
A few more questions, sorry.  What did you like about the W4?  What didn't you like?  Same questions for the 535.  Also, what kinds of music will you be listening to?

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
A few more questions, sorry.  What did you like about the W4?  What didn't you like?  Same questions for the 535.  Also, what kinds of music will you be listening to?

W4 like: Overall sound
W4 don't like: Tip fit / body shape - they have a tendency to come loose, or tips not properly engage in my ear once properly seated on the phone. e.g. I have to use different-sized Comply's on the W4's because the way both sides fit in my ear are affected by the shape of my ear bowl, and the smaller of the two Comply's doesn't fully get a seal, but when I use the larger Comply in one ear it lodges uncomfortably, and I can't use the silicone tips since they keep coming off in my ear canal or sliding out. The Shures allow me to use the same larger Comply tips in both ears, and the silicone tips stay on fine.

535 like: Ergonomics - fit is great for me, with or without CBL.
535 don't like: Well it's more a matter of less like - the sound is not as defined on the Shures (and I don't mean definition as a component of distortion) even though I'm probably getting a better seal with the Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back