Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #4,817 of 5,568

Just looked it up, noticed it's actually a media player too? I'll be using my iPod classic, seen as though there's far more storage. Can you bypass the media player and just use it as an amp/dac?

It's just a straight up music player. It plays all files. The amp and dac are already inside you have to use them and it sounds awesome with the W4R. Memory card slot supports up to 32GB although some people have gotten 64gb cards to work.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #4,819 of 5,568
  It's just a straight up music player. It plays all files. The amp and dac are already inside you have to use them and it sounds awesome with the W4R. Memory card slot supports up to 32GB although some people have gotten 64gb cards to work.

Sounds good but I would still prefer to keep using my iPod.

I really like my Fiio E12 with my W4's. The bass boost sounds nice with them too.

Looks good but looks like it's just an amp, no DAC.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #4,820 of 5,568
  Just purchased myself a pair of 4Rs.. I'll be running it from an iPod Classic. What do you guys recommend in terms of a portable DAC/Amp that compliments these IEMs sound signature perfectly? I don't really know a huge amount about the portable world. Preferably nothing over $350 or so.

You have two good options available right now (DAPs) and both under you budget.

FiiO X3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-sep-24th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor

iBasso DX50: http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/ibasso-dx50-appreciation-thread-new-3-firmware-update-v1-2-oh-em-geee

And to throw in another little gem of a player around $100 (that pairs very well with Westone 4 I might add)

Colorfly C3: http://www.head-fi.org/t/637417/colorfly-c3-appreciation-and-discussion-thread

Those are the options I would be looking at with a high consideration for iBasso DX50 which I believe will pair well with W4.
I'm not to keen on DAC/Amps as I believe a one package solution like the DAP's mentioned above are better options.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #4,822 of 5,568
I havent found a dap that I can say definitively is better than a external dac and external amp. I havent used the ak120 I imagine its good. But again maybe not as good as a external amp and dac bur if you are looking for one combo dap you are kinda limited. I mean there are good daps out there but they just always seem to fall short in one department or another.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,823 of 5,568
OK so 6 days with the W4R. Definitely superior to the vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 in sound, in every way. However, it is not nearly as comfortable. The nozzles are at the wrong angle and the body of the iem is a tad too big for me. I can't really use it for more than 2 hours without having to take them out. I hear a lot more background ticking noise noise with the W4R, is that the music or the dac?

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4,824 of 5,568
OK so 6 days with the W4R. Definitely superior to the vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 in sound, in every way. However, it is not nearly as comfortable. The nozzles are at the wrong angle and the body of the iem is a tad too big for me. I can't really use it for more than 2 hours without having to take them out. I hear a lot more background ticking noise noise with the W4R, is that the music or the dac?

Have your cellphone nearby? Or possibly WiFi interference with the BA drivers, it happens with any BA IEM that I own when I use my E10 as a source hooked up to my laptop and have my cellphone nearby.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,825 of 5,568
Have your cellphone nearby? Or possibly WiFi interference with the BA drivers, it happens with any BA IEM that I own when I use my E10 as a source hooked up to my laptop and have my cellphone nearby.

Yea my cellphone sits next to my laptop.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #4,826 of 5,568
The 4r is a tremendous deal at the $300 price. I had planned on selling my month old set when I upgraded to es5 and an amp/dac but they still hold there own. Yes the es5, clas and sr71b ran full balanced is better in every way. Is it worth $2000 more well... To an audiophile yes yes yes but to someone who just enjoys listening to music and is not constantly looking for what about what I'm listening to doesn't sound as if I was sitting in front of them playing, the w4r ran single ended out of a phone jack doesn't do anything wrong.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4,827 of 5,568
The 4r is a tremendous deal at the $300 price. I had planned on selling my month old set when I upgraded to es5 and an amp/dac but they still hold there own. Yes the es5, clas and sr71b ran full balanced is better in every way. Is it worth $2000 more well... To an audiophile yes yes yes but to someone who just enjoys listening to music and is not constantly looking for what about what I'm listening to doesn't sound as if I was sitting in front of them playing, the w4r ran single ended out of a phone jack doesn't do anything wrong.

Good to hear. How does the 4R sound on your sr71b/clas rig balanced?

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #4,828 of 5,568
Anywhere still selling them for 300?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back