Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #4,501 of 5,568
I recently bought the er4s to p 150ohm adapter from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689
Although from what I've what adding resistance makes the frequency response more linear, I noticed that using the 150ohm adapter with my Westone 4R closes up the 3d sound stage totally. There's also somewhat of a channel imbalance, with one side of the IEM being louder than the other. Does anyone using a resistor experience this too? Or is the resistor I bought just defective?

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #4,502 of 5,568
Quote:
You may also want to give the phonak tips a try.

Yup! Let make Earportz or Phonax a tried! But, have to see first if they availables here in my country!    Reshell, na! 

****... Why W4 are so Tipsdependant ? One day... I'll go CIEM

ksc75smile.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #4,503 of 5,568
Quote:

I would just try all of the tips that came with your W4Rs and decide which feels and sounds the best.  Tips are a real personal thing due to the fact that everyone's ears are different.  If I tell you which ones to you, you may not like them or they may not fit you.  Experiment with different tips that you have already.  There are a lot of different sizes and shapes.

@G33K  ... and after you reach your Holly Grale tip, you'l comme back here and share all your enjoyment of your new W4!!!! 

Edit:   Each "Star" tips are color coded, as you already knows! By default the blk (M) is installed. If you feel some inconfort or pain, you have to tried the red or blue instead! Experiments,  is all the joy of life, and fun with the W4!!!!!

ksc75smile.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #4,504 of 5,568
I kinda like the star tips. I like the medium black silicone ones and I really like the I think it's the long red ones. Everyone says that ya need to mod and get wider bore tips and they will sound better. IMO I'm not really sure about that. Maybe?? But I find the star tips do a great job. Maybe ya need to use them and let your brain adjust but once it does they sound great I think. I've stated before that I also like the short grey complys that use to come with the Westone iems. Think they sound good too. Of course this is just my opinion as everyone's ears and ear sizes are all different. I find that these are one the warm side but like I said once your brain gets use to the sig. Then you can really hear what these things are capable of doing. They do everything so well that at first listen your like,,, um that's it. !!! Lol

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,505 of 5,568
I found the 4R on amazon jp for 37,087 Yen, which converts to about $378 or £242. Would it be a wise idea to order it from there? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else? I heard it was $325 on Amazon US a couple weeks back, shame I missed out on that!

EDIT: Scratch that, I don't think they post out of Japan.

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,506 of 5,568
I found the 4R on amazon jp for 37,087 Yen, which converts to about $378 or £242. Would it be a wise idea to order it from there? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else? I heard it was $325 on Amazon US a couple weeks back, shame I missed out on that!

EDIT: Scratch that, I don't think they post out of Japan.

Well you can use a forwarding service like tenso.com but that do add cost and hassle.... and not sure how westone handle international warranty.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,507 of 5,568
Well you can use a forwarding service like tenso.com but that do add cost and hassle.... and not sure how westone handle international warranty.

As long as the seller is Authorized, then the warranty will be honored :)

I purchased from the earphonesolutions.com, they send it to Sydney and when mine broke down, I send them express courier for approximately $ 58 then I got the new W4R + STAR tips :)

Westone and earphonesolutions.com customer service is great !!!

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #4,508 of 5,568
As someone who owned a pair of IE80s, but sent them back due to fit issues and the fact that I wasn't "blown away" by the sound of them, will I be amazed when I finally get my hands on a pair of 4Rs? I'm so excited! :D

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4,509 of 5,568
As someone who owned a pair of IE80s, but sent them back due to fit issues and the fact that I wasn't "blown away" by the sound of them, will I be amazed when I finally get my hands on a pair of 4Rs? I'm so excited! :D
I think you will. At first no. But give them some time and listen to them for a while. Yes you will. At first I thought they were just ok. But the more I listened to them the more I really loved them. A amp helps with these too. Not nessesary but really helps IMO. Give them some time. :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,510 of 5,568
I think you will. At first no. But give them some time and listen to them for a while. Yes you will. At first I thought they were just ok. But the more I listened to them the more I really loved them. A amp helps with these too. Not nessesary but really helps IMO. Give them some time. :)

What? like, convince myself I like them? :wink:

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,511 of 5,568
What? like, convince myself I like them? :wink:
No,, depends on what kind of sound you like ,, what headphones you are coming from. And getting use to them. Imo. They do everything so well that nothing really jumps out at ya in terms of frequencies. But didn't take long and now they are one of my favorte iems if not my fav.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,512 of 5,568
When I first started using the W4R I thought they were veiled in comparison to my favorite ATH-CK100PRO that I was using. I figured to keep 'em in anyway and thought they were very good despite the perceived veil. It's been about 2 months and I popped in my CK100PRO to show them some love and I could not believe how sibilant and shrill they sounded. It's been a few days since then and I am getting used to my CK100PRO again (I do love them, even though they are too sensitive even with my Pico Slim).

I use Comply foam tips on both IEMs because of the security the filter provides. I do not want wax getting into the ports. I feel like the W4R could benefit from other tips though, because the short foamies aren't good at isolating and I can't help but think the W4R are crisper than this. Those Earportz look interesting, but I don't know how the size compares to the foamies? I'd rather not drop $15 to $20 on a pair only to have 'em not fit.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #4,513 of 5,568
Thats very understandable as I have 2 packs of trial size so I have 2 sets of small medium large and extra large. And I find myself wearing everything from medium to extra large. They are very soft pliable silicone so even the xl is resllyvthat large and I think to ne anything under medium is too smal with the earportz but I cant say they are one size type deal you really have to try them all to find your liking.

I personally havnt ever been able to fancy the foam or comply tips. I feel they tske too much away from the sound quality and I wont have thAt.

I was dead set on getting some silicone um56 tips however after using the earportz I couldnt imagine other than the um56vbeing custom fit that they could produce better sound quality and isolation

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #4,514 of 5,568
I love the sound and isolation of the Complys, but they don't last as long.  I have tried silicone and bi and tri flanges and they just don't seal well enough for me. I think the star tips are the best of both worlds for comfort, isolation and sound.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #4,515 of 5,568
Yeah, having to change the comply tips every 6 weeks (ideally 3 weeks, but I try to squeeze every bit of life out lol) isn't fun, either. I use the small size comply tips because the medium were a touch too large (they would gradually puff out a ways and I would have to keep pushing them in). 

I'll order a pair of S, M and L EarPortz. I like that they are clear, for maintenance purposes. I've also had my eye on that 5N OCC Silver Plated cable on eBay... I know you like it Mooses, and I'm all about affordable upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back