Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #5,253 of 5,568
I've read most of them, I think the consensus seems to be that most people prefer the W4. I'm a bit confused by this since the frequency response curves for the SE535 look much more balanced, though I read this might be due to how they do the normalisation.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #5,254 of 5,568
From what I remember (haven't heard the se535 in a long time), precision is barely better with W4R. Signature is something I cannot comment, honesty what pushed me towards the W4R was instruments separation.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #5,255 of 5,568
I've been reading the close to universal praise given to the Westone 4R. I'm wondering though, how does the Westone 4R compare to the Shure SE535 in terms of sound isolation and comfort?

To much to tell about them... just reed this thread from the start... and you get all infos, more opinion you need to take a decision for your own & personal Holly Grail iem!

Both are excellent iem for the $

Edit: Maybe comparing rather SE846 with W4r is a fair/better comparaison?!? For my ears&brain the choice is cristal CLEAR... W4r !!!

:D

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #5,256 of 5,568
Yup. Owned the SE535. To me the sound signature is extremely different, with the 535 heavily favoring the mids.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,257 of 5,568
Its a preference thing but with the Shure mid....as good as it is...is a little too forward making treble and bass sort of back seat or distant or less prominant.  Like the opposite problem of a V-shaped sound sig.  That would be what?....a hump sound sig?

I can understand a preference of SE535 over W4 but not SE535 over W40.  W40 brings the bass amount up more even but with 2 drivers provides more depth and texture....and then if you throw in the much more extended treble of W40...  It's an easy call which is the better IEM.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #5,258 of 5,568
Its a preference thing but with the Shure mid....as good as it is...is a little too forward making treble and bass sort of back seat or distant or less prominant.  Like the opposite problem of a V-shaped sound sig.  That would be what?....a hump sound sig?

I can understand a preference of SE535 over W4 but not SE535 over W40.  W40 brings the bass amount up more even but with 2 drivers provides more depth and texture....and then if you throw in the much more extended treble of W40...  It's an easy call which is the better IEM.
Yep, agreed! (Y)

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,260 of 5,568
Mar 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #5,261 of 5,568
Mar 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #5,262 of 5,568
  So I've had these since october and am very happy...any use picking up an amp/dac? usually playing lossless out of my retina mbp/streaming from google music so not sure how much of an improvement I'll see...thinking a magni/modi 

Hmm, depends on the quality of the stream. I don't use streaming services so I have nothing to give you there.

When I listened to my IEMs through my Macbook I thought the hissing was fairly noticeable. When I got a a DAC and proper AMP, the sound became noticeably better in every way, and my first DAC was a $30 thing used mainly for television sets.

I use the Schiit Gungnir with a Pico Slim now and yeah, you'd be hard pressed to get better than this (I imagine).

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,263 of 5,568
  Hmm, depends on the quality of the stream. I don't use streaming services so I have nothing to give you there.

When I listened to my IEMs through my Macbook I thought the hissing was fairly noticeable. When I got a a DAC and proper AMP, the sound became noticeably better in every way, and my first DAC was a $30 thing used mainly for television sets.

I use the Schiit Gungnir with a Pico Slim now and yeah, you'd be hard pressed to get better than this (I imagine).

hmm well tbd i suppose, thanks dude 

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5,264 of 5,568
I bought a pair of these in CIEM form for remolding a month ago having never heard them (I own a pair of Westone W3, but these are different birds) and sent them off to Inearz. 

Got my remolded W4R's on Monday - they sound great - I also had a set of TF10's and a JH16FP done by Inearz - I am impressed with the W4's though - they are the most neutral of the three - really punchy and clear. All frequencies well represented. I know some have said the bass is lacking, but in custom form that's just not the case. I had a set of Heir 4A's and I think these outperform them - really fast drivers. I ran the battery of tests including a frequency sweep at audio check.net and was surprised to hear that they reached as low as 10hz - the 10hz test tone was loud and clear - no odd dips or mismatched lt/rt imbalances. I am definitely happy with the 4R. For a total outlay of $365, I am amazed at the quality of reproduction.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #5,265 of 5,568
I use my iPhone 5 as my primary source for my w4r's. When I am at home I am using Pico DAC---> rsa protector ----> w4r's.

The iPhone 5 is a fine source.

I also do not use an added resistor. I have one and opt against it.

What do the Pico dac & the rsa amp add to your listening experience with the W4, Sir? Just like you, I pair my W4 with my IPodTouch 4gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back