Westone 3 vs UM3x
Jul 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

outlandos

100+ Head-Fier
I am probably going to use Shure Olives as tips. With this set, do you advice me to buy, either the UM3x or the W3's? #1 Comfort and #2 fun sound are the most important to me.

I will not be using any amp, just my iPhone 3GS. And money ain't an issue (my budget is $400).

I've been reading a lot, and so far it's really 50/50, so please only reply if you have actually tried both!

atsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 48
Jul 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 48
I find them both about equally comfortable, although I'd give a slight edge to the UM3X.

In terms of fun, definitely the W3. W3 has flashier treble and boomier mid bass.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...-heart-433227/

I haven't tried these IEM's yet, but some say that the UM3X is more comfortable, while the W3 has a "funner" sound, when compared to the neutral UMX.

Voted UM3X - absolutely NON-fatiguing, very natural, neutral & balanced sound. Tight bass, wonderful clear mids, and just the right amount of treble extension.

Non-fatiguing is important to me, so I now slightly prefer the UM3x's!

But then again, I listen to dance and hip-hop too and then the W3's seem to be the best choice.. Argggh!

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 48
You voted UM3X w/out owning/hearing either?
I assume this as your first post is asking advice which you should buy....

I just don't get it. Why vote at all?

Edit\ Ah, unless your italicised sentence is a quote....?

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 48
Here's part of a post, relevant to your question, which I posted on a different thread today:

I found Westone 3 was a better IEM than the SE530 SQ-wise, particularly in the treble and bass departments. Westone is known to probably have the best cables in the market, very light and yet very strong with ZERO microphonics.

Comes with no extension (big plus for me), and the plug is L-shaped which I prefer, unlike the straight one the SE530 has. I personally found the W3 slightly more comfortable than the SE530, and much more so when standing or moving about as the cable is very VERY light.

Though both the SE530's and the W3 are made of plastic, I found the design and specially the build quality to be definitely better on the W3

I then sold my W3 and got the UM3X, which I prefer over the Westone 3 re: SQ and comfort - even though the UM3X's don't have that immediate WOW factor the Westone 3's have, I soon preferred their excellent neutral, natural, and balanced sound, which makes them incredibly NON-fatiguing, an aspect that can only be matched by my custom ES3X's. The UM3X has the same cable & plug as the W3 and the fit is even more comfortable.

These atributes/ views of the UM3X -- unlike those of the SE530's & Westone 3 -- are shared by the vast majority of people who have purchased them.

The Westone 3's have a bit more bass quantity, but I prefer the UM3X which I find has EXCELLENT, punchy, yet more refined and controlled bass which CAN extend quite low.

-------------

So, while I really liked the W3, and found it more 'fun' at first, in the end I found the UM3X better suited my taste. The UM3X shells are smaller and the angle of the nozzle is a little different from that on the W3, making the former slightly more comfortable.

The NON-fatiguing aspect of the UM3X is a big BIG plus for me, meaning I can have for much longer listening sessions if I want to. BTW, I do find the UM3X's more intimate sound with it's detailed sound and excellent instrument separation a very exciting listen. But, for people who like more bass quantity and treble the W3 will be more exciting and, therefore, the clear winner.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 48
Very well put. I haven't tried the UM3X, but wanted to. Anyway, I stayed with the W3 for the reasons Music states. Fit for me is fine, even excellent, and I found a good tip for now (tri-flange modded), though I may move up to the UM56 custom sleeves very soon. I would still love to hear the UM3X, but not gonna happen (money too tight to mention).

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 48
People keep saying that the UM3X is flat and boring, actually it isn't entirely flat ... there is a bit of a punch to it just not as much as the W3. Also, eartips can be an issue with the W3 because the highs are a bit too high at times, this problem does not exist with the UM3X. Another thing people keep saying is that the W3 has more bass, I disagree, the UM3X bass is tighter and more controlled but no less present. The W3 bass likes to go places where it does not belong and clouds up the mids too much.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 48
I don't think anybody has said that the UM3x is boring, neutral doesn't mean lifeless.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anybody has said that the UM3x is boring, neutral doesn't mean lifeless.

Not in this thread but yes, other have labeled it "boring".

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in this thread but yes, other have labeled it "boring".

Yes, people have said it - probably myself included. I liked them, but compared to the W3 I did find them a bit boring. That's my opinion, and some other people share that view. I don't claim to be an audiophile and I don't care how neutral or natural something is if I don't think it sounds good.

@Pepito

I didn't find them lifeless, but some people do find neutral lifeless. So what? I think most people are in agreement the W3 is more "fun" which is what the OP is trying to determine.

Some people probably find the ER4P really fun, but I bet most people would probably find the W3 or something else to be a lot more exciting.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, people have said it - probably myself included. I liked them, but compared to the W3 I did find them a bit boring. That's my opinion, and some other people share that view. I don't claim to be an audiophile and I don't care how neutral or natural something is if I don't think it sounds good.

@Pepito

I didn't find them lifeless, but some people do find neutral lifeless. So what? I think most people are in agreement the W3 is more "fun" which is what the OP is trying to determine.

Some people probably find the ER4P really fun, but I bet most people would probably find the W3 or something else to be a lot more exciting.

It only sounds "boring" if you don't give yourself time to get used to it, especially coming from the W3's where if you don't have the right eartips the highs are always bordering on sibilant.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 48
It's only boring if you don't give yourself time to get used to it? Speak for yourself, not everyone else.

And I went from the UM3X to the W3. Had the UM3X for over a month, by the way.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's only boring if you don't give yourself time to get used to it? Speak for yourself, not everyone else.

And I went from the UM3X to the W3. Had the UM3X for over a month, by the way.

To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back