Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,351 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@#$%@#%@$%@ I lost my Westone3's.....just a bit "letting off steam"

How is it i can't lose my ages old EC4's and the westones are gone in less then a month.....@#$%@

what? mate you are so unlucky guy....

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #1,352 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, since I am never really satisfied, I decided to get out every tip I have that will fit the W3s and do some experimenting. How's this for a stunner? I stuck on a pair of the cheap, common Shure yellow foamies (had them left over from using them with my Atrios), and they sound pretty good. Some of that W3 sibilance seeps through, but not much (enough not to bother me), since these are very short tips. But they also are very comfy. Still feel the highs are a little "plasticky" as someone described it, but the detail is excellent, and the bass not so overwhelming (use my Zune80 right now).

Anyway, there's one tip I never even considered trying that works with the W3s, but not on all tracks. Now, on to the rest. Even though the modded tri-flange elminated any hint of sibilance, I felt it also led to a way too pronounced mid-bass emphasis. Hence, my ongoing search for another W3 tip. If none of them measure up, I will just go back to the tri-flanges and EQ a bit, as I did before.

Are we having fun yet?

I was the one that felt with un-modded triple flange that the highs were a little plasticky, and much better with modded triple flange. The grey silicone with a shallow insertion also sound good to me. I always liked the Shure yellow foam on my SE530 more than the black olives, but they would get old too fast and be dirty and lose their shape too fast. Haven't tried them on the W3 since all the ones I have are old and misshapen.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #1,353 of 2,224
Quote:

How is it i can't lose my ages old EC4's and the westones are gone in less then a month.....@#$%@

How do you lose IEM's??? I mean with bulky cords and what not.......???

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,354 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was the one that felt with un-modded triple flange that the highs were a little plasticky, and much better with modded triple flange. The grey silicone with a shallow insertion also sound good to me. I always liked the Shure yellow foam on my SE530 more than the black olives, but they would get old too fast and be dirty and lose their shape too fast. Haven't tried them on the W3 since all the ones I have are old and misshapen.

After an hour of trying it all, I am back to the modded flanges (shortened stalk, bi-flange), which seem to deliver the best sound for my ear shape (either that or tri-flange with modded stalk), etc. The yellow foamies sound pertty good, and are comfy. I had like 10 new pair left over from when I used them with my Atrios. I may use them, but you are right, they don't last long, get very ugly, etc. The thin Complys are pretty good too, but the full-sized Complys are just too fat, stuffy.

I just can't get any of the round silicone sleeves to fit. I can tell you, when I compress the mid-sized silicones, they sound great, but as soon as I let up on the pressure, not good for me. Still mulling over the UM56 step.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #1,355 of 2,224
I just joined the club and am experimenting with the tips.

Right now I am using the large grey soft tips, it sounds ok but isolation is minimal. Not to mention that the seal on my left ear is iffy and it made the lump press against my outer ear and which gets sore after a while.

The triflange seals well but would make it sound like an Etymotic, and I don't need another Etymotic. It's also a little long, I wonder if shortening it would make it not sound like an Ety? I would prefer not to cut it if it would still sound like an Ety.

Couldn't make any of the clear silicon tips to fit as they feels really stiff, I'll try again though.

I tried the large olive too, but it is kind of hard to insert, I'll try again too.

The UM56 do look tempting. I wonder if I can swap it between the W3 and my ER-4?

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #1,356 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SidCityMeis makes an interesting observation:

Double checked: Neither Earphone Solutions nor Westone themselves offer "Westone Gray Silicone Tips" (that seems odd)

Earphone Solutions does list the Shure Gray Silicone tips: (link below)

Shure PA758 NEW Soft Flex Sleeve (5 pairs) for E1, E3, E4, E500, E5 and Westone UM1 and UM2

Do Westone-brand soft gray silicone tips really exist?

Are they made of slightly softer silicone than Shure gray silicone tips?
or does Westone simply bundle Shure gray silicone tips with W3?

P0wderh0und - we need your help on this!

PS: did you try the Shure Olives? They work well for some (but not all).
For those of us who get a good seal / fit with the Olives - SQ is usually reported as being fantastic (more HF air than comply tips, tighter less muddy LF response, good solid detailed mids)

AFAIK the silicon tips included with the Westone 3 ARE Shure grey softips, if not they are identical. I've ordered both medium (PA758M) & large (PA758L) directly from Shure or yes, Earphone Solutions which would probably be a lot faster (I ordered my W3 from them on a Thursday Morning 8:30PST and had them in my hot little hands on Saturday 14:30PST!). If you can get the softips to fit, they conform a bit easier and compress & re-shape (e.g. jaw movement) a little better then foamies or olives which don't re-shape that easily - along with their much easier maintenance & insert/removal. Beware that in my case they enhanced the W3 bass to overabundance and had to be EQ'd but are for me the best fit & seal. Good luck.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #1,357 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you lose IEM's??? I mean with bulky cords and what not.......???

The W3 has NO bulky cord, and no What nots, unless using the volume level attenuator, which most people don't use. If you were talking about losing the shure se530s, then I'd agree with you.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #1,358 of 2,224
Just an update after having the W3s for just under a month (using them daily for a minimum of 6 hours).
Settled on the triflanges trimmed just right, they offer unparalleled isolation and the bass is beautiful. Complys seemed to give it a more natural sound but seemed to place a veil over the sound signature in general.
No cable unbraiding for me, or loose contacts.
The IEM responds really well to EQing, am using a 31 band EQ on my mac right now and as you adjust each band you can hear each frequency being picked out clearly. I don't think that these are quite neutral IEMs, but they aren't supposed to be. However, if you want a neutral sound you can definitely achieve it with a bit of EQing.
Also, for some reason the soundstage on them has quite rapidly doubled (can you quantify soundstage? and is there burnin for the W3? who knows, these are my observations). I'm not really a fan of a maassssiveee soundstage as the music doesn't feel that intimate, but the slight perceived increase in soundstage is nice for some well recorded albums.
Absolutely loving them, even after a month! I'm slightly curious to hear a burned in IE8 just for comparison, but I'm 99% certain that the soundstage will be too spacious and that the bass will be slightly bloated and the trebles less sparkly than the W3s for my tastes.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,359 of 2,224
Quote:

Got to take good care of your staff my friend~I keep my w3 on the ipod all the time so I wont lose it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #1,360 of 2,224
just got the W 3's. i'm a newbie to IEM's, but i had to give up my D2000's in order to listen to something more discreet here at work. I guess wearing CAN's here at work was a big turn off haha.

I'm wondering if someone could help me out. I cant find a tip that will fit comfortably. The smallest gray tip seems to fit but i do not get a tight seal. Anyone know of any other after market tips that may be a bit more comfortable. I feel that most of the tips are just too big for my ears.

I would love to go custom, but i bet they are pricey, anyone know how much they run?

Thanks

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #1,363 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tom

How do you like the Phonak against the W3?

Well, that's a loaded question. I am very happy with the Phonak's overall balance, clarity, transparency (all the stuff you can read about on those threads). I have had a struggle with the Westones, mainly finding a tip that delivers the sound I expect from such a high-end IEM. I have tried everything but a couple of tin cans. But seriously, I think I have found two good options, small olives or the modded tri-flanges (stalk cut to even with the bass of the largest flange). The former still deliver a hint of sibilance, and the flanges erase that issue, but seem somewhat dark to me. My solution is to use EQ (boosting the treble a bit. The acoustic setting on my Touch does it).

Anyway, I am learning to really like (not necessarily love) the W3s, as they say in any long-term relationships, but it's gonna take time. I need to listen more now that I have settled on a couple of tip combos.

I read your extensive review on the W3s, and would like to hear your view of the Phonaks. Maybe some day.

Quick comparison, the noted mid-bass effect on the W3s is not part of the PFE experience. The PFEs are all about detail, but also have punchy, tight clean bass. But it never gets in the way of the mids and highs.

I don't have the experience nor technical knowledge to eloquently describe the W3 and PFE similarities and differences. But when you ask to compare, it's like asking me if I want to drive the Viper or the Benz. I like them both.

And now, I have that curious dynamic phone, the Monster Turbine, in my possession. Plus the X10, but I gave those to my wife because of the teeny gels (which fit her perfectly).

Not too detailed, but you get the idea on the W3 v. PFE deal.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,364 of 2,224
Thanks. Would you mind to give a small comparison between the Image X10 and the Phonak? Do they share similar mids and bass? And in which areas does one best the other?

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #1,365 of 2,224
Not at all. I listened to both, alternating, and I was amazed at how veiled the mids and highs sounded on the X10s compared to the PFEs. It was striking to me. The Images were much warmer, but not necessarily in a good way. In fact, the PFEs really had me leave the X10s in the dust. Having said that, I still use the X10s for comfort listening, like when I am playing poker, meaning I have to take them in and out frequently. For that use, they are perfect. I have to laugh when I see all those top young poker pros on TV wearing Bose over the ears or iBuds. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back