Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #961 of 2,224
for all who use the westone 3s unamped out of an iphone 3g, mind sharing what volume level you usually use when you listen to music through the westone 3s?

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #962 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also your ears burn in and get used to the sound as well and you will develop a better fit technique

kinda agree, whever i do a headphone swap, especially a major one like tf10, then go str8 to er4, its such a huge difff. and ears have to get settled a bit (only talking a few mins here).

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #964 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for all who use the westone 3s unamped out of an iphone 3g, mind sharing what volume level you usually use when you listen to music through the westone 3s?

40-50%

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #965 of 2,224
50-60%

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #968 of 2,224
Hi,
I'm a 40 yo audio newbie. I'm looking for some advice to bring out the best of my newly acquired W3.

For 3-4 yrs, I'm been listening to MP3s through my PC and Creative Zen micro with my UM2.

I recently bought the iBasso D3 and started to re-ripped some of my CDs to FLACs.

I have also ordered an iMod and ALO SXC Cryo cables through ALO and waiting for delivery.

Do you think I should add a RSA Mustang Amp into my mix?

ie: iMod 80gb 5.5G (maybe rockboxed) > ALO SXC Cryo iMod cable > Mustang Amp > Westone 3
and
PC > USB iBasso D3 > ALO SXC Cryo mini-mini cable > Mustang Amp > Westone3.

or is the D3 Amp good enough?

ie: iMod 80gb 5.5G (maybe rockboxed) > ALO SXC Cryo iMod cable > iBasso D3 Amp > Westone 3
and
PC > USB iBasso D3 > Westone3.

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #969 of 2,224
wow, that would be a kick ass rig, i havnt used any other amps with my w3, but the pico rig is very nice. maybe look at getting a Predator instead of the P-51, after the predator hits 1000 hours it sounds amazing, and since it also has a dac, would be great with your PC?

try the d3 first, and if you like it, then no need for another amp

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #971 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by SidCityMeis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I'm a 40 yo audio newbie. I'm looking for some advice to bring out the best of my newly acquired W3.

For 3-4 yrs, I'm been listening to MP3s through my PC and Creative Zen micro with my UM2.

I recently bought the iBasso D3 and started to re-ripped some of my CDs to FLACs.

I have also ordered an iMod and ALO SXC Cryo cables through ALO and waiting for delivery.

ie: iMod 80gb 5.5G (maybe rockboxed) > ALO SXC Cryo iMod cable > Mustang Amp > Westone 3
and

ie: iMod 80gb 5.5G (maybe rockboxed) > ALO SXC Cryo iMod cable > iBasso D3 Amp > Westone 3
and

Thanks.

If you already have the iBasso D3 and RFI is not a problem for you, it may not be worth it to upgrade and you could focus on a desktop rig instead. However, if you spend most of your time portable and you want/need absolutely the best, sure why not. I just can't say if the P-51 is the right upgrade or not because I haven't heard it yet.

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #973 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50-60%

i find that westone 3 really shines when i turn up the volume abit more (50-60% on the iphone 3g), but i wonder if that is too high a volume for safe listening...

at lower volumes i dont find it that much of an improvement over sa6

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #974 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find that westone 3 really shines when i turn up the volume abit more (50-60% on the iphone 3g), but i wonder if that is too high a volume for safe listening...

at lower volumes i dont find it that much of an improvement over sa6

agreed, i find that with my pico/ipod as well, a little bit of volume really brings out the 'wow' factor

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #975 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by SidCityMeis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

and

and

Thanks.

You will get a much bigger improvement by getting a better headphone. If you can afford to get the W3 with the Mustang or whatever portable amp you're thinking of, then you should probably go with a fully custom-molded canalphone instead - ES2, UE10, or UE11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back