Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #197 of 2,224
^^ yeh but those customs are simple armature designs inside. i believe its gotta be worth a bit more to pay if its a step up in technology, i mean those customs are not even triple drivers, im not saying more drivers is better but 3 way crossovers and triple drivers may well be worth the extra notes. and we must remember we are paying for the next evolutionary step in earphones. not just another triple driver incarnation.

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #200 of 2,224
We joined in the same month & year
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #202 of 2,224
Can someone explain the technology of these compared to like the technology found in the customs?

Like against the hearyourself, freqs, etc.

Like how is the system of the custom triple drivers different than the westone 3s other than the fact that one has a custom housing?

BTW, those foams that come with these, are they comply tips?

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #203 of 2,224
I ordered them from Mike at ebay yesterday
ksc75smile.gif

They will replace the SE530 and ER4P as back up for my UE11. But who knows it may even take UE11 place as my front runner IEM!! (which would kind of make me sad since they are 3 times cheaper).

My SE530 cable break up again (second time) so I will have to send them back again for replacement. Man I'm getting tired of this cable matter. I know Shure has excellent customer service but shipment expenses at this rate will overcome the benefit.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #204 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow....I just spent $508CAD on these....

These better be good! I got them off marcopolo.ca

He offers free xpresspost within Canada and free 2 day fedex to the States.

Anyone know how sensitive these things are? Are they as sensitive as the UM2s that hiss like crazy with some DAPs?

He offered you xpresspost shipping? In one of the emails he sent me , he said he was shipping it using regular airmail...

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #205 of 2,224
oh...well he said that he was offering free xpresspost shipping because I paid via EMT. Maybe that's why because EMT has less fees...

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #206 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain the technology of these compared to like the technology found in the customs?

Like against the hearyourself, freqs, etc.

Like how is the system of the custom triple drivers different than the westone 3s other than the fact that one has a custom housing?

BTW, those foams that come with these, are they comply tips?

The technology found in these and customs is rally the same at the base (balanced armature drivers). I do not know how Freq and others separate the sound (crossover or capacitors) per say. I can say we are using a passive 3-way crossover and no one else is on a universal. We are also using a high, mid, low frequency driver in each earphone. Everyone else is using two low and a single high for their triple drivers.
As for custom -> universal, one would need to compare apples to apples. Right now we do not have a direct match in the custom field for the Westone 3.
Oh and yes they are Comply foam tips.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #207 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll see - agreed. Things are in favor of Westone here though - UM2 does not have scratch issues.

But on the UM2, 1/2 of the housing is a coarser, rough finish which actually helps in gripping the housing before extracting it.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #208 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every manufacturer that says that always calls it a special ingredient (jay's also) and all that in my opinion is rubbish, more like your worried about it not being flat enough, i mean no offence but when has releasing frequency curves ever hurt ultimate ears?? theres no such thing as a special source because if this special source was so great then the curve would be a flat line with a little boost on the lower end for realism, and if that was the case you sure as hell would show it.

sorry but its annoying when manufacturers claim they have a special something, i mean look at the q-jays, they had ''a special source'' aswell and all we ended up getting was a pretty middle of the road set of phones, pretty flat and pretty boring.

anyway, rant over, im sure the westone 3 will be great, so go on stop being cheezy and show us the graphs will ya?
bigsmile_face.gif

And you just answered the reason why we do not post stuff. :)

We have ZERO desire for the response curve to be flat, do you have any idea the level of crap that sounds like? Trust me I do, I've had some earphones made that were almost considered dead they were so flat lined. The music was distorted, colored in putrid ways and not enjoyable at all. A true "flat" response to the human ear, not the human eye would have a bump anywhere from 1.5-5k, most likely in the 3-5k range. This would be to compensate for what is called "insertion loss", this is what happens when you put something in your ear. So for anything to have a flat line (according to our eyes) it's not what the ear needs to product that sound.

Also a freq curve for you can be totally different than it is for me. For example, we both go in for a hearing test. Let's say you have a 5db drop in the 250k range and I do not. This can make the pluck of a bass string sound totally different to both of us, even though we are using the same source, cable, amp and earphone. Also, a graph can and most likely would skew your opinion towards any source before you had time to hear it and learn it.
The comparison should be based on the sound, not a silly line drawn on a piece of paper.

Ok, I'll stop my soap box now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back