Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,832 of 2,224
  Sorry, I was trying to point out that Australia isnt the only place they're expensive and I mentioned amazon because that's what we were comparing.

LOL. Sorry. I should have checked first.

We may cry on each others shoulders... And be happy when Americans decide to get rid of them on the "For sale" forums!

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,833 of 2,224
I'm a first time "high end" user. I bought the W3s as a Christmas gift for myself (from someone else, ha ha) and just tried them before packing them back up until Christmas. Now, as someone who hasn't ever owned earbuds over $20, this is all of course with a grain of salt, but... This was the most incredible musical experience of my life! I would pay $300 for these, if needed, in a heartbeat! I have a pretty nice home theater setup and a pretty nice car audio setup as well, but they don't even top the sound these things put out!

Initially, I'm most impressed with the following:

1) Thumping bass from such a small device! Tight and accurate, especially for double bass in metal music.

2) Detail in the high end is pristine. The symbols crashing, the high hat tapping... As a percussionist, this is terrific!

3) The accurate sound stage... I've never been able to "see" the drumset as someone rolls down the toms, but the sound just moves from side to side so nicely. Mike Mangini + W3 = Glorious. My first song with these on was Illumination Theory by Dream Theater. What a treat that was! I have new appreciation for that song now.

All in all, I am unbelievably excited about this purchase and thank all of you for recommending them (just by your high praises of them). I'm a Westone fan for life!

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,834 of 2,224
I just got my Westone 3 a couple days ago. Took a little tweaking with my EQ but got the sound I am looking for. This is my first 3x IEM so didn't know what to expect. I didn't do a burn in and not really sure if it's needed. Totally different sound than the Rocket -R50s and the Shure se215. It will take some time to get used to but I already notice a big difference in the sound stage and separation. I like the over the ear braided cable over the hard wire on the Rocket and Shure models. I tried the triple flange tips but didn't like the sound and switched to the red post foam tips and the bass sounds much better as well as mids and highs. A lot better sound isolation also. So far I'm very pleased with this purchase and the best part was I got them brand new for 50% off on the web. Which is much better than $349.00 on the Westone web site. I listen to a lot of different music though mostly rock but classical piano sounds awesome. I could listen to these for hours and they are very comfortable easy on the ears and an overall great experience. Was money well spent. I'm using them with a Sony Walkman NWZ-S764 and getting good battery life. They do use more power but not enough to make a big difference.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,835 of 2,224
I'm a first time "high end" user. I bought the W3s as a Christmas gift for myself (from someone else, ha ha) and just tried them before packing them back up until Christmas. Now, as someone who hasn't ever owned earbuds over $20, this is all of course with a grain of salt, but... This was the most incredible musical experience of my life! I would pay $300 for these, if needed, in a heartbeat! I have a pretty nice home theater setup and a pretty nice car audio setup as well, but they don't even top the sound these things put out!

Initially, I'm most impressed with the following:

1) Thumping bass from such a small device! Tight and accurate, especially for double bass in metal music.

2) Detail in the high end is pristine. The symbols crashing, the high hat tapping... As a percussionist, this is terrific!

3) The accurate sound stage... I've never been able to "see" the drumset as someone rolls down the toms, but the sound just moves from side to side so nicely. Mike Mangini + W3 = Glorious. My first song with these on was Illumination Theory by Dream Theater. What a treat that was! I have new appreciation for that song now.

All in all, I am unbelievably excited about this purchase and thank all of you for recommending them (just by your high praises of them). I'm a Westone fan for life!

I know that feeling all too well. It was my first high-end purchase also - to be honest, I've been buying this stuff for a while, and the Westone 3 is still some of the (IMHO) best sounding gear that I own. Hold onto them, they are fantastic. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,836 of 2,224
I got my W3 from amazon today and I was really excited to try them out, since this is my first "high-end" IEM. I am coming from the MEElectronics A161P, a single BA driver, to this triple BA W3. I'll be honest, IMO, these are OK. I was expecting to be blown away but it did not happen. The bass is waaaay too powerful, to the point where some of the mids are being over shadowed. I actually turn down the bass in the EQ. It is indeed quiet clear and better detailed than the A161P. The A161P has pretty aggressive mids and highs, maybe I'm used to that type of sound. But for me, the W3 is not a "WOW" IEM. I have not tried shures yet, I've heard they are known for their mids, especially the SE4xx and SE5xx. But damn, they are expensive.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #1,837 of 2,224

I know that feeling all too well. It was my first high-end purchase also - to be honest, I've been buying this stuff for a while, and the Westone 3 is still some of the (IMHO) best sounding gear that I own. Hold onto them, they are fantastic. 

Sounds like I got a great deal. $179 was a criminally good steal

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,838 of 2,224
It's an excellent deal. I was extremely tempted to buy the w3 at that price. The w3 is still very good despite its age compared to newer iem's out there

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,839 of 2,224
It's an excellent deal. I was extremely tempted to buy the w3 at that price. The w3 is still very good despite its age compared to newer iem's out there

I wonder if the new W30's have any changes. 

Apparently for the W10's, the changes were only cosmetic. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,842 of 2,224
  DOUBLE POST:

Does anyone know if there is a JH model that sound similar (in the bass department)?

JH16 maybe? 

Interesting!

Temptation..Rising..

Plus, the older model keeps the much better Epic cable. The new one I heard isn't as good and some people miss the braided one. At $179, that's impulse buy territory

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,843 of 2,224
+1 JH16 would be a fine sound signature upgrade to the Westone 3.

Quote:

JH16 maybe? 

Plus, the older model keeps the much better Epic cable. The new one I heard isn't as good and some people miss the braided one. At $179, that's impulse buy territory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back