Westone 1 Mix up
Oct 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sterny

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am very new to IEMs, I just recently bought my first pair. I purchased the Westone UM1's, the over the ear design appealed to me and I had heard good things from some of my friends.

But, when they arrived in the mail, I opened up the package to find a pair of westone 1's instead. There was obviously a mix up at the warehouse.

Naturally I tried the Westone 1's out (don't judge
biggrin.gif
), and after using them for a bit I couldn't help but feel that were lacking in sound clarity.

I understand that the Westone 1's are newer then the UM1's, my question is are the UM1's less muddy? Does anyone know the main difference between them? I'm debating sending them back.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 11
No the UM1s won't be any better ... Perhaps it's the warmth of the sound signature that make you think they are muddy? What other phones are you comparing them to?

Supposedly (from what I've read here), the W1 is a superior product to the aging UM1. So if you've got the W1 instead of UM1 and think they are lacking, I say move up the food chain
biggrin.gif

UM2 is a good choice, and for some more the UM3X is even better (lots of details), though they all retain the Westone house sound and are warm sounding.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 11
you need to allow for burn-in... they will get much better. i had the same initial impressions but decided to see if burn-in would help and it did... at first it will sound very muddy and the bass will be super bloated... but after about 50-60 hours my w1's tightened up a lot... and yeah this is great for you because the w1>um1

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 11
isnt burn in only for dynamic? never really noticed much difference with ba earphones

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 11
hmm idk... i know that i definitely noticed a difference after about 50 or so hours. i was very close to returning the w1's but now i love them.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, as of now I'm approaching 20 hours and I've noticed a subtle increase in sound quality. Hopefully it'll get better as I get up to 50.

Oh I intend on keeping the W1's by the way, and the fact that I made out with a better IEM for less money is great!

Haha, I just wanted to make sure that I was getting a good deal, I wasn't sure what to expect of the W1's as they're fairly new and there aren't many reviews out there aside from the mini review on head-fi and the disappointingly underwhelming review on cnet.

Anyone else have any information on the W1?

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 11
well I use the caffeine amp and my source is either my fuze or my clip+. But the W1's sound great without an amp and so I actually I have not been using my caffeine amp much at all. An amp could help the sound for sure but it is definitely not necessary, imo. The w1 sound great straight out of my fuze and clip+. But I guess it depends on what your source is, as some are worse than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back