Westerville Ohio meet impressions and pictures thread
Jun 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lord_tris

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is the impressions and pictures thread everyone post your photos and talk about the gear and people here :wink:

Alpha Dogs

HD700

HE300

gobosi with the Alpha Dogs

HD800

AxelCloris Cheesing

Bryston BHA-1

These shoes though. 

DT990

Modi and Magni

LCD-X

All the smiles

Why so Serious?

The biggest little dot 1+ EVER

Valhalla and uberfrost schiit

What?

Kinda impressed

These are pretty good.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Gee, you sure took a lot of pictures of Gibosi... >.>

Thanks as always for putting together a great meet.  It was nice to see everyone again.

I guess I should put some impressions in the impressions thread, huh?
  1. I finally got to listen to the Alpha Dogs.  Sounded pretty good.  Didn't have as much bass thump as I'd expect from closed cans.  Then again, the last closed headphone I'd listened to before this one was the LCD-XC so I don't know how fair of a comparison that is.  Anyway, I like them, but at that price I think I'd almost rather save a bit more and get a Fostex TH-600.
  2. Never heard a Bryston amp and heard the BHA-1.  Liked it a lot.  Did an A/B using the LCD-X with the Audio GD Phoenix and the Bryston and it was night and day.  That Bryston can make those Audezes sing!  Should have A/B'd it with the Mjolnir but didn't get the chance.  From memory I think I liked the Xs with the Bryston more than the Mojo, but I'd have to give them both a listen again.
  3. Comparing a Hifiman HE-500 to my Senn HD650s has finally led me to a conclusion: to my ears the 650s always have their distinctive Senn sound regardless of amp which honestly makes them not so great for detecting differences between amps.  That's not a bad thing, mind you.  It just means they work really well with a lot of amps at different prices.
  4. On a related note, using the HE-500s made it much easier to pick out subtle differences between amps in A/B tests.  Maybe it's just orthos.  At the very least I continue to be surprised at how the Valhalla can run several of them decently well without causing unlistenable levels of distortion.
  5. I like the looks of the V-Moda XS, but it barely fits on my head.  Didn't listen to them for that reason.  Laugh it up, Lord_tris.
  6. Those HD800s don't isolate at all, do they.  Still, I want a pair.  That hasn't changed.
  7. The Grado sound from the sr325 has grown on me.  Out of my uberfrost/valhalla stack, they make rock sound very pleasing.  I hope I can get in on wave 2 of the Grado demos and try the rs1 or something to hear how the high-end Grados sound.  If they can take some of the shrill edge off, I could totally see myself getting a Grado down the road.
  8. So many DAPs...

That's all that comes to mind right now.  I had a great time and am already looking forward to the next one.  I'll bring my camera next time as well and we'll go ahead and bury this thread in photos.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 12
I was just in Westerville yesterday... and the day before... at the Watering Hole, happily sitting there, listening to my very low-fi system, wondering what else is out there in the world of audio...

And then I see this.

:frowning2:

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 12
  I was just in Westerville yesterday... and the day before... at the Watering Hole, happily sitting there, listening to my very low-fi system, wondering what else is out there in the world of audio...

And then I see this.

:frowning2:

Lucky for you this won't be the last.  We do these every so often so keep your eyes peeled.  The more the merrier, after all.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 12
  It is pretty cool that we made the front page at all!!!

I'm really starting to think that quality photos have a lot to do with which meetups make the front page.

Also, I think meow is the time to change the gear in your sig.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 12
  I'm really starting to think that quality photos have a lot to do with which meetups make the front page.

Also, I think meow is the time to change the gear in your sig.

Meh I wanted it to be a surprise but there you go.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 12
Easy to figure out.  You've asked about mine.  Dvass says he selling the Mjolnir.  Alex uses "meow" in a sentence.

I think I've said/typed this 100 times already, but out of my headphones, I really enjoy the 600 and Mjolnir pairing the most.  It's the only pairing that I actually stop thinking about everything and just listen to tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back