Were my expectations too high? Fidelio X2 not that great with weak bass
Apr 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thespeakerbox

100+ Head-Fier
After reading about headphones in the same general price range, I expected the x2 to pack some punch on the low end but im a bit disappointed overall. To me, everything is a bit dull. Im driving it with a schiit magni 3 on hi with the gain pretty much near the end of the spectrum and its still weak sounding. Is this typical? If so thats fine - i just want to make sure i didn't miss something... lol. I know the magni is nothing crazy, but the impedance on these headphones are pretty low. The only thing i can think is that I'm not using a DAC, but rather my MACs headphone out. I would think even a dac couldnt make a night and day difference. Am i just expecting to much from this thing?

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 7
It could be defective. Personally, i find the X2 v-shaped with way too much bass.
I simply can't understand reviewers who wright that this is a more or less neutral headphone with exactly the right amount of bass. It isn't.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 7
It could be defective. Personally, i find the X2 v-shaped with way too much bass.
I simply can't understand reviewers who wright that this is a more or less neutral headphone with exactly the right amount of bass. It isn't.

People really say this? Bass aside, the treble is like soo far away from being neutral.

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 7
They sound pretty neutral to me. To me, it sounds like a bump in mid bass extension but it seems to lack all the
"OMG BASS" that everyone raves about. Bass does sound tight but theres no basshead rumble without distortion.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Mhh I think that deep subbass extension can only really be achieved by the most potent dynamic drivers or you should go planar magnetic. And for that basshead rumble closed is also better than open. Something like the fostex th-x00 should tick those things. The X2, for what it is (a relative cheap, dynamic open back) has pretty good bass. Maybe check that Basshead thread here on head-fi if that is what you want. :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are on high gain on a magni 3 and X2s with volume all the way up you should be deaf by now. Sounds like something isn't right in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back