Went to the Qualia store on Wednesday...
Nov 20, 2004 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
...and had a real nice listening session with the 010's. I brought my own reference CD's that I know every note by heart (and soul).
There are only 3 Quailia stores in the world, according to the nice salesman.

I have to say, that after spending a good amount of time with almost every headphone in the world (only a 1/2 hour with the Orpheus', though), they are the best sounding headphones ever made (please don't flame me
biggrin.gif
).

Besides being rated from 5Hz to 120Khtz (which doesn't matter to me because it is a manufacturer's claimed spec, that even Fido can't hear), it is truly the most comfortable can that has ever graced my head's presence.

Now the sound. I put on everything from Big Band to Reggae, to Jazz fusion, to '70's rock, and each instrument had such individualized space that you could assign a separate address to each, and the postal employee wouldn't even mess it up (no offense to postal employees, except mine).

I don't want to make this a review, but I did want to share my experience, with the only people in the world (my fellow Head-Fier's), that care about quality sound.
Considering that this was a "money is no object" project from Sony, the price point at $2600 is considerably less than the $4000 MDR-R10's, and the $2800 Omega's which need a electrostatic amp.

Also, at 70 ohms, most amps in our circle should adequately drive them (B.T.W.- I tested them through a Sony integrated receiver, so any headphone amp worth it's stuff, should improve the experience).

This of course, is all IMHO...but they truly jumped out at me and screamed of greatness.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 209
The store in Osaka, Japan is not open at the moment (I think I read that they are relocating so they closed it for now, but I cannot find the information at the moment) so the only QUALIA stores are at Tokyo, NYC, and Las Vegas.

I wish I was closer to a QUALIA store... have to wait until winter break I guess and raid QUALIA Tokyo like every day.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 209
Aaron, you b*tch, I was just getting comfortable with the thought of being Qualia free! What makes matters worse, is that I know your musical tastes and respect your opinion. So if you end up ordering a pair, think Cayman!!! I'll keep an eye on them while you and Telica are out diving.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 209
Wayne...why do you call me a female d*g?
biggrin.gif

If you'd like I can order a pair for you, hang on to them for a while, and when you come to the NYC May meet, you can pry them out of my hands.

BTW- They finally made a can that will fit your head properly, the mediums were perfect for me, and being that you have more brains than the average human, the large, would be a perfect fit for you!

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Wayne...why do you call me a female d*g?
biggrin.gif

If you'd like I can order a pair for you, hang on to them for a while, and when you come to the NYC May meet, you can pry them out of my hands.

Ok, you female d*g! Nice try. You can order for me with your credit card!

Quote:

BTW- They finally made a can that will fit your head properly, the mediums were perfect for me, and being that you have more brains than the average human, the large, would be a perfect fit for you!

Is this a backhanded way of saying that I have a big noggin? I've got the Qualia measuring device, and try as I may to get the right fit, I'm hopelessly in between a medium and large. Even Ray Samuels is a medium! So if I'm indeed a Qualia large, I may be the only one on the planet!

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 209
Time to sell the Omega IIs?
biggrin.gif
I like the Qualia also but I think I'll wait for the baby regular Sony ones to come out in December which look like the qualias. Hopefully they are not that different as R10 is to CD3000.

Man you went there on Wednesday, we could've had a mini meet again.

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 209
lan...sold the Omegas and the KGSS on Wednesday. You know me to well.

I missed the last mini-meet because I don't stay on the computer much in the summertime. If you guys are ever doing a NYC thing, please e-mail me, I will always attend.

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 209
where exactly is the Qualia store in NYC? Ill be home (20mins from NYC) for Thanksgiving so I might drop by (and see if it's worth saving up money for a year for
eek.gif
)

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 209
Quote:

...and had a real nice listening session with the 010's. I brought my own reference CD's that I know every note by heart (and soul).
There are only 3 Quailia stores in the world, according to the nice salesman.

I have to say, that after spending a good amount of time with almost every headphone in the world (only a 1/2 hour with the Orpheus', though), they are the best sounding headphones ever made (please don't flame me
biggrin.gif
).

Besides being rated from 5Hz to 120Khtz (which doesn't matter to me because it is a manufacturer's claimed spec, that even Fido can't hear), it is truly the most comfortable can that has ever graced my head's presence.

Now the sound. I put on everything from Big Band to Reggae, to Jazz fusion, to '70's rock, and each instrument had such individualized space that you could assign a separate address to each, and the postal employee wouldn't even mess it up (no offense to postal employees, except mine).

I don't want to make this a review, but I did want to share my experience, with the only people in the world (my fellow Head-Fier's), that care about quality sound.
Considering that this was a "money is no object" project from Sony, the price point at $2600 is considerably less than the $4000 MDR-R10's, and the $2800 Omega's which need a electrostatic amp.

Also, at 70 ohms, most amps in our circle should adequately drive them (B.T.W.- I tested them through a Sony integrated receiver, so any headphone amp worth it's stuff, should improve the experience).

This of course, is all IMHO...but they truly jumped out at me and screamed of greatness.

I understand very well what you are telling...

The Qualia 010 ( as you have experimented) is a a very sensitive can, so with a good dedicated amp you can hear a 50% more of what you have listened...

Best!
Nicola

Nov 20, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 209
Hey........................

We did have a mini meet Wed. Aaron, me and Josh, the Qualia salesperson. How else was I going to grab an Omega/KGSS system before one of my fellow headfiers beat me to the punch. I had a a hell of a time watching our friend after the first few bars filled his Quailerezed ears. His eyes ALMOST POPPED OUT OF HIS HEAD! Talk about love at first sight.........

The Qualias were throwing a sound stage that stopped at the room walls......huge. To me, they had the clean quick response of Estats.....yet the best qualities of dynamics. Sorta like Wilson speakers ...which mix a little of the best from each type. My 2nd trip down to the Qualia dungeon...I work around the corner. Have a feeling Aarons Maestro will do a wee bit better than what the Sony SACD player can do....he,he.
I like them phones Aaron! Enjoy.
The Omegas sound sublime and I did not even switch my old stax amp to the KGSS yet. The most amazing thing is when I engage the stax ED-1 diffuser/equaliser made for Lamdas into the chain...whooaaa.
Lot more listening ahead .Aaron, enjoy...Dan

Nov 20, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
where exactly is the Qualia store in NYC?

It is at the SOny store on 55th and madison.

You spoke with Josh? I thought he didn't work there anymore. He is an asian guy about 6ft tall.

Nov 20, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 209
Shut!!! Time for another audition then, it seems that it is fully broken in now....and you didn't noticed the "hollow" sound? I liked the R-10 more than this one, IMHE all was there, but it lacked of the right "coherence" to my ears, but the potencial was there to explote it, and it sounded like inside a cavern, echoes, reflexions, I don't know exactly what was, but......time for a new try....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It is at the SOny store on 55th and madison.

You spoke with Josh? I thought he didn't work there anymore. He is an asian guy about 6ft tall.

Danny meant Jay...he took over for Josh. Very pleasant salesman to deal with.

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 209
Quote:

Very pleasant salesman to deal with.

I too say such things about people who take my money with a smile... it's nice to know it will be going to a good cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back