Wendy Carlos - Lost Scores (The Shining, etc.)
Mar 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i picked up volume 1 of wendy carlos' "rediscovering lost scores" today. for those not familiar, wendy carlos created "switched on bach" and scored a number of kubrick films. she is the original moog synth master.

this recording sounds like it was made yesterday, it is so crisp and 3d. i am listening to "the shining" music and it is a spooky mix of ambient (think brian eno "shutov assembly") and more traditional movie music. i know "the shining" very well and there are familiar pieces and some that did not make it in the film. overall fans of the genre should not be dissapponted in this cd.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 7
ahh... good call. i still have to buy myself the CD soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, it's always namechecked by every synth-based band out there. when exactly did Wendy stopped being Walter anyway?

slightly unrelated, but i've been listening to Kraftwerk's Trans-Europa Express (yes, i own the German version for some strange reason) over and over again lately, and sounds horrible. need to save money for The Catalog remaster box set.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
ahh... good call. i still have to buy myself the CD soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange, it's always namechecked by every synth-based band out there. when exactly did Wendy stopped being Walter anyway?

slightly unrelated, but i've been listening to Kraftwerk's Trans-Europa Express (yes, i own the German version for some strange reason) over and over again lately, and sounds horrible. need to save money for The Catalog remaster box set.

after he got his sex-change surgery.

"clockwork orange" ost is on sale at tower for us$7.99 now. there is also a remastered carlos-only version out.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
after he got his sex-change surgery.
"clockwork orange" ost is on sale at tower for us$7.99 now. there is also a remastered carlos-only version out.

heh, i meant was it any time during his/her recording career? thanks for the Tower Records recommendation, will definitely check it out.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Carlos' reworking of the Dies Irae from the 5th mvt. (I think) from Berlioz' Symphonie fantastique at the beginning of The Shining is one of my favorite pieces of movie music.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
heh, i meant was it any time during his/her recording career? thanks for the Tower Records recommendation, will definitely check it out.

Dunno exactly when it happened, but I own a vinyl copy of "Switched On Bach" and "Tron" with "Walter Carlos" as the artist.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
Dunno exactly when it happened, but I own a vinyl copy of "Switched On Bach" and "Tron" with "Walter Carlos" as the artist.

A couple people posted about this in previous messages... he had a sex change operation in the late 60s (apparently during the composition of Switched on Bach, according to my copy of the book "Analog Days").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back