Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #631 of 1,022
2772A4F2-C750-4CC8-9184-5218C5D6BE28.jpeg 60E56318-35E1-4613-9A5F-81CAAA427C07.jpeg

I just received my upgraded Headtrip to Headtrip Reference (aka Level2). While it has a ways to go for full break in (500hours), I am liking very much what I’m hearing so far. Compared to my wonderful Pathos Aurium Amp (Innerfidelity Wall of Fame),The HT ref is significantly more musical and engaging. I’ve stopped the back and forth comparisons because it’s always the same result. The HT is simply more resolving and musical overall. This is not to say that the Pathos is a slouch. It’s just that the HT is that good. Comparing it from memory to the original HT, it appears to have a more organic sound and with a touch more air and breadth. There’s as ease to the music without loosing impact. Everything just sounds right. Jeff Wells kept me updated on the progress of the upgrade the entire time. I’ll post further impressions as the break in hours accumulate.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #632 of 1,022

I just received my upgraded Headtrip to Headtrip Reference (aka Level2). While it has a ways to go for full break in (500hours), I am liking very much what I’m hearing so far. Compared to my wonderful Pathos Aurium Amp (Innerfidelity Wall of Fame),The HT ref is significantly more musical and engaging. I’ve stopped the back and forth comparisons because it’s always the same result. The HT is simply more resolving and musical overall. This is not to say that the Pathos is slouch. It’s just that the HT is that good. Comparing it from memory to the original HT, it appears to have a more organic sound and with a touch more air and breadth. Everything just sounds right. Jeff Wells kept me updated on the progress of the upgrade the entire time. I’ll post further impressions as the break in hours accumulate.

So is there the HeadTrip, Old Headtrip Reference (?), Headtrip Reference (Headtrip 2?), Headtrip Reference Monoblocks? I'm confused as to the line up now.

HeadTrip

1672725-wells-audio-headtrip-headphones-amp-excellent-conditon.jpg

HeadTrip 2 (Now called Headtrip Reference and no chassis change?)

download.jpg

Original Headtrip Reference Prototype

DSF2994.jpg
HeadTrip Reference Monoblocks

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.03.17 pm.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #633 of 1,022
So is there the HeadTrip, Old Headtrip Reference (?), Headtrip Reference (Headtrip 2?), Headtrip Reference Monoblocks? I'm confused as to the line up now.

From what I have gathered from Jeff.

The original Headtrip is now called the Headtrip 2 in a different case. No internal differences.
The original (prototype) HT Reference is now called the Headtrip 2 Level 2... also in a different case just like the HT2. All else being same.
My particular HT is the same as the new HT 2 Level 2 but in my original case because I wanted just the innards upgraded to become the HT 2 Level 2.
The only thing that I can’t explain is why my faceplate says Reference instead of Level 2. I’m fine with that though.
I am not sure about the mono block version. I am only aware of Jeff building a unit for a guy in Australia and it sounded incredible, per Jeff. This was before the new 2 channel references were in the works.

Also, the silver magnetic feet we’re eliminated due to final chassis design and sourcing issues. (Heatsinks no longer exposed and more acrylic instead of aluminum.)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #635 of 1,022
From what I have gathered from Jeff.

The original Headtrip is now called the Headtrip 2 in a different case. No internal differences.
The original (prototype) HT Reference is now called the Headtrip 2 Level 2... also in a different case just like the HT2. All else being same.
My particular HT is the same as the new HT 2 Level2 but in my original case because I wanted just the innards upgraded to become the HT 2 Level 2.
The only thing that I can’t explain is why my faceplate say Reference instead of Level 2. I’m fine with that though.
I am not sure about the mono block version. I am only aware of Jeff building a unit for a guy overseas, I believe, and it sounded incredible per Jeff. This was before the new 2 channel references were in the works.

Also, the silver feet in the picture were eliminated because their effect was negligible and also not a good match for the chassis design he ended up going with. (Heatsinks no longer exposed and more acrylic instead of aluminum.)

Neat, thanks for sharing man. I think there might have been two pairs of the reference monoblocks made, but I'm not sure. I know there was a pair that went overseas, but there was also the pair at CanJam NYC, which I think had a different chassis. I could be completely wrong on all of that though. Either way, looks like neat new stuff in the works.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #636 of 1,022
Yeah it definitely looks like there have been at least two pairs of Headtrip Reference Monoblocks produced/in existence.

What I assume are the originals

9935798_l.jpg

And the CanJam NYC version. Notice the different heat sinks etc...

Wells-Mono.jpg

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #637 of 1,022
Yeah it definitely looks like there have been at least two pairs of Headtrip Reference Monoblocks produced/in existence.

Nice. I am quite sure now that the set with the exposed heatsinks were for a guy in Australia. From the looks of it, I’m willing to bet that there’s at least $50k worth of gear in that picture!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #638 of 1,022
I just received a Milo (with Khozmo Attenutator and Vishay Resistors) in for review from Jeff Wells. I forgot how great Jeffs amps sound with Abyss headphones. Currently listening with the Diana Phi, and it is awesome. I will report back after more listening!

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #640 of 1,022
I just received a Milo (with Khozmo Attenutator and Vishay Resistors) in for review from Jeff Wells. I forgot how great Jeffs amps sound with Abyss headphones. Currently listening with the Diana Phi, and it is awesome. I will report back after more listening!
That’s what started my Well’s journey. I’ll probably get the Headtrip level 2 in time, so it will have been interesting hearing all versions of his amps except the Enigma.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #641 of 1,022
That’s what started my Well’s journey. I’ll probably get the Headtrip level 2 in time, so it will have been interesting hearing all versions of his amps except the Enigma.

I think my goal is to ultimately own the Enigma 2. Having owned the original Headtrip, I feel like getting most of the performance and the same power output would be cool. If I can somehow manage it anyhow. All in good time, as they say : )

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #642 of 1,022
I think my goal is to ultimately own the Enigma 2. Having owned the original Headtrip, I feel like getting most of the performance and the same power output would be cool. If I can somehow manage it anyhow. All in good time, as they say : )
Well how does the Enigma II when paired with Susvara compare to a ss more powerful speaker amplifier with Susvara off taps?? Reading many posts regarding the full potential of Susvara seems like a speaker amp is the way to go. What speaker amps in this price range 4K have best synergy with Susvara/DAVE/HMS??

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #643 of 1,022
Well how does the Enigma II when paired with Susvara compare to a ss more powerful speaker amplifier with Susvara off taps?? Reading many posts regarding the full potential of Susvara seems like a speaker amp is the way to go. What speaker amps in this price range 4K have best synergy with Susvara/DAVE/HMS??

Sorry I don't know, I haven't heard the Enigma 2.

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #644 of 1,022
I used to drive the original HE6 with a Threshold T50 (50 watts/ch @8ohms class A) and they sounded wonderful. I would recommend any 50-100 watts/ch class A amp due to the warmer characteristics of the class A sound within SS amps.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #645 of 1,022

Why two amps?
One for each channel?
Are those air suspension springs to stop the DAVE from vibrating?
Is the couch on springs as well?
Is that a giant ba
I used to drive the original HE6 with a Threshold T50 (50 watts/ch @8ohms class A) and they sounded wonderful. I would recommend any 50-100 watts/ch class A amp due to the warmer characteristics of the class A sound within SS amps.
well

Well the Headtrip amp is 50 W/Chan but a dedicated headphone amp. There are many powerful speaker amps that are less costly. Why would one buy the Headtrip over a speaker amp?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back