Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ufospls2, Sep 16, 2016.
First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Page 40 of 42
41 42
Next

Last
  1. Hansotek
    Has completely different boards. IIRC, all Vishay Naked Z-Foils throughout (like 26, I think), bybee AC purifier, silver trace wiring, super-high-end caps... all kinds of crazy maxed-out parts and features in the same essential design. The exact details are somewhere in this thread.

Jeff is putting one together for me so I can do some comparisons for you guys who are trying to figure out if you want to do the upgrade.

gintamafans likes this.
  2. Bucketron
    Thank you! Another crazy upgrade, not sure how this beast will hold up with headtrip. Almost same price range now.

3. Hansotek
    I’m interested to find out!

4. johnzz4
    I’m just getting aquatinted with the Reference, but it adds the headtrip reference boards, Furutech AC jack, Bybee AC filter, and Rike caps. Initial impression is more body and effortless detail - another level of holographic sound. Couldn’t be happier. I started with the Milo with Khozmo and Vishay, and Jeff allows for a trade-in if you decide to go for the reference at some point.

5. johnzz4
    There are some trade-offs between the Headtrip and the Milo reference. The Headtrip has some PIO caps and Bybee filters on the rails, where the Milo reference has the Headtrip ‘Reference’ circuit boards. For the Headtrip, I would have had to reterminate or get an adapter for the DHC Prion4 cables which made the Milo Refence preferable for me.

Very curious to hear how you feel the Milo Reference stacks up to the Headtrip, Hansotek.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Hansotek likes this.
  6. ajreynol
    2Qute is only a DAC.

PM'd!

Thank everyone for all of the feedback. Definitely looking to make my final choice this week between the two of them. Any additional insights will be appreciated. I hate not being able to hear these things for myself (or face a high restocking fee), so the more thoughts the merrier. Peace of mind and all that. :D

7. omniweltall
    This is my opoinion only.

Running two CMA800R dual mono is bad choice. You don't need to spend that much to obtain a better quality.

I don't know the price of this Milo Reference. USD5k is also pure insanity. I won't even bother trying it.

8. gintamafans
    Personally I had tried ican pro and initially wanted it as my new amp(shocked for its price to performance), however the first impression of it was that it did more clarity and micro-dynamic. Though the more you listen to it the more you would realize it sounded very unnatural. IMO when shopping for a SS or high-end amp, the first thing you should ever look for is the naturalness it can reproduce for the headphone(In the end for an amp it should not do anything else then providing you with great power without changing the sound quality produced by your DAC or cables). So you wont end up building a system upon with one block of the chain messing the sound of the whole system. In addition, my milo was great with noise floor, completely clean....even with an earphone.... curious why so many people mentioned it in the review? maybe send it back to check if something was damaged during shipping?

9. Jozurr
    As much as I've enjoyed this amp, unfortunately I have to put it up for sale. If anyone's interested please let me know.

10. jamesng45678
    May I know if there is a difference between the balanced and single ended output? I am currently using the single ended output for my hd800 and i am curious if there is a difference when I change to balanced output for my headphones.

11. Astral Abyss
    No difference. The XLR is just there for convenience. The only difference you might hear would be from the cable itself.

jamesng45678 likes this.
  12. Hansotek
    Neither output is balanced. The four pin connector is there for convenience sake. The design is unbalanced front to back. Jeff favors the unbalanced design because he feels it is more dynamic, there are fewer components in the signal path, and the lower parts count allows him to invest more in higher quality parts while keeping the customer’s total cost down.

jamesng45678 likes this.
  13. jamesng45678
    Thanks for the clarification :)

14. jamesng45678
    My Wells audio Milo has some problem with its left channel. After using for around an hour, the left channel will suddenly not produce any sound at all with the right channel playing music only. I have to turn off and on the amplifier to solve this problem. This problem has happened multiple times while using my amplifier. Anyone can help me on this?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  15. ufospls2
    Hmmm, have you contacted Wells Audio? Could be a loose connection, but turning it off and on wouldn't solve that. Weird. Let us know how it works out.

I really miss my Headtrip and Milo, and thoroughly enjoyed them while I did own them. I'd love to hear the Milo Reference. Maybe I will try and pick up a used Milo some day once I have some funds together again.

First

Back
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Page 40 of 42
41 42
Next

Last