Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Oct 25, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #46 of 1,022
Just an update after a long listening session last night.

The Milo made me stay up much later than I should have. To add to my initial impressions, the soundstage, and depth are amazing. Also, the presence of micro details I've never heard before was stunning. I'm not the biggest Taylor Swift fan, but I needed a pop test track so I put on one of her songs. Her breathing in and out before singing lines was so noticeable! The way the Milo presents female vocals is beautiful. Last night was like listening to my favourite music for the first time again. Truly impressive. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #47 of 1,022
$200 for XLR inputs. Amp is not balanced, its single ended.

I think Jeff would tell you it is "unbalanced", not "single-ended". Not sure what the distinction is, but I've heard him say it before.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #48 of 1,022
Oct 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #49 of 1,022
I think Jeff would tell you it is "unbalanced", not "single-ended". Not sure what the distinction is, but I've heard him say it before.

Thats my bad 100%. I didn't know there was a difference :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #51 of 1,022
Single ended is a term mostly used for the output stage and sometimes used for the input. In this case it is only SE.

If the 4pin output doesn't increase the gain or anything than its still an SE amp with the convenience of the 4 pin plug. Same as having a 4 pin to 1/4 inch adapter.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #52 of 1,022
I think SE means just that, inside and out.

Unbalanced could mean having balanced inputs and outputs yet the internals aren't balanced. Many amps have balanced ins/outs for convenience (and/or more output power for headphones) but the internals are a single ended design.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #54 of 1,022
Maybe my hacking was successful.......

evil_smiley.gif

2i1gl94.jpg

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #56 of 1,022
I have to apologize for the quality of these unboxing pics, I was tripping over myself to get this thing out of the box and plugged in!

Quick first impressions:
- Holy #%&@! Tone, impact, soundstage, clarity - unbelievable!!!
- 30db is way too much gain. I'm listening to the Abyss at about 8:30 on the volume dial.
- I don't friggin' care because it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!
- Too much power for sensitive dynamics, unless you can adjust the input voltage to the amp with a DAC like Mojo or something.
- Much like the higher-end Wells amps, this thing will absolutely light up your planars - the Abyss, Omni and HE500 are just jaw-droppingly good on it. I wish I still had an HE-6, because this would drive it effortlessly.
- What really sets Milo apart is the dynamic authority it asserts over the headphone. It's so impactful and controlled... while some amps struggle with hard to drive headphones, the Milo lets the music just impose its will on the drivers.

Lots of listening and comparing to do before a formal review, but wow, $1,700 amps don't sound like this. Very impressive, so far.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #58 of 1,022
I have to apologize for the quality of these unboxing pics, I was tripping over myself to get this thing out of the box and plugged in!

Quick first impressions:
- Holy #%&@! Tone, impact, soundstage, clarity - unbelievable!!!
- 30db is way too much gain. I'm listening to the Abyss at about 8:30 on the volume dial.
- I don't friggin' care because it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!
- Too much power for sensitive dynamics, unless you can adjust the input voltage to the amp with a DAC like Mojo or something.
- Much like the higher-end Wells amps, this thing will absolutely light up your planars - the Abyss, Omni and HE500 are just jaw-droppingly good on it. I wish I still had an HE-6, because this would drive it effortlessly.
- What really sets Milo apart is the dynamic authority it asserts over the headphone. It's so impactful and controlled... while some amps struggle with hard to drive headphones, the Milo lets the music just impose its will on the drivers.

Lots of listening and comparing to do before a formal review, but wow, $1,700 amps don't sound like this. Very impressive, so far.

Thanks for sharing! I kinda don't agree with there being too much power for sensitive dynamics though. I've been listening to my HD800S on the Milo to test them out, and its the best I've ever heard them. I run my volume at about 50% on my software player in my computer, so I've got the volume turned up quite a bit more than you with my LCD-4's. I'm jealous that you've heard the higher up Wells amps. How do you feel they differ from the Milo? In what ways are they better? Also, what cable are you using on your Abyss? Do you hear a difference vs. the stock cable?

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #59 of 1,022
Thanks for sharing! I kinda don't agree with there being too much power for sensitive dynamics though. I've been listening to my HD800S on the Milo to test them out, and its the best I've ever heard them. I run my volume at about 50% on my software player in my computer, so I've got the volume turned up quite a bit more than you with my LCD-4's. I'm jealous that you've heard the higher up Wells amps. How do you feel they differ from the Milo? In what ways are they better? Also, what cable are you using on your Abyss? Do you hear a difference vs. the stock cable?

Well, the HD800S isn't what I would call "sensitive". I meant low impedance, high sensitivity headphones like Grado, Fostex, Denon, etc. I plugged in my modded D2000. It sounded good, but I didn't have much play on the volume dial. Turning down the source volume is a good way to get around it, provided you aren't listening to DSDs.

I still need to give them a whirl with the HD800.

I bet the LCD-4 destroys on this amp. That seems like an ideal match.

Comparing to the other Wells amps is difficult. They have an extremely neutral and dynamic house sound. The Headtrip offers more dynamics, more powerful bass, a larger soundstage and more transparency. But differences are probably less than 5%. Transparency and soundstage are the biggest upgrades on the Headtrip (using the Abyss to judge). The Enigma is extremely close to the Headtrip. Probably gets there with everything but that last 1-2% of transparency. Bottom line is, they are all very close.

The cable I am using is the DanaCable Lazuli Reference. The differences with most cables are fairly nuanced, however, I don't find the differences from this cable to be nuanced at all. They are very obvious to me and very, very good. I'll post a link to my review when it goes live. IIRC, it should be up in the next day or two.

Edit: The DanaCable review mentioned above it up: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1116/Danacable_Lazuli_Reference_Headphone_Cables_Review.htm

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #60 of 1,022
I know you barely received it. But Do you think the Elear and Senn 650/800S will be good matches with Milo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back