Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #301 of 632
I'm pretty sure I want the Dragon 2, but is it really a big enough upgrade over the 1? It is large though and it is going on my desktop. The Milo seems to make more sense. I have not had a tube amp before and would like to give it a try. (I know, hybrid) Why do I want the Dragon over the Milo. I pretty much listen to everything besides classical and country. It is for my Utopias.

Thanks.
This is a hobby where one has to navigate tradeoffs and figure out the marginal return on $$. These equations are certainly different for everyone.

IMO, doubling of the current from the Dragon LI to the LII is reason enough to go with the LII. The upgraded power supply is also a bonus. The Milo is a way better desktop solution than the Dragon.

What DAC are you using to feed your system?

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #302 of 632
This is a hobby where one has to navigate tradeoffs and figure out the marginal return on $$. These equations are certainly different for everyone.

IMO, doubling of the current from the Dragon LI to the LII is reason enough to go with the LII. The upgraded power supply is also a bonus. The Milo is a way better desktop solution than the Dragon.

What DAC are you using to feed your system?
Thanks. Right now I think amp would do a lot. I will feed it from Naim Atom, or Matrix Mini 3 pro. I am interested in R2r though like Ares, Orchid... Ect.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #303 of 632
And the Cipher Level II has arrived. Not even an hour in and already sounding great! Let me wrap my head around what I’m hearing and I’ll be back with impressions.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #304 of 632
And the Cipher Level II has arrived. Not even an hour in and already sounding great! Let me wrap my head around what I’m hearing and I’ll be back with impressions.
Sweet! I really hope I can hear either Cipher at some point : ) Enjoy it mate.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #305 of 632
That's awesome! Did Jeff do any of the burn in before shipping it?

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #306 of 632
That's awesome! Did Jeff do any of the burn in before shipping it?
No, just enough for testing. Based on my experience with the Headtrip, I know I’ve got quite a bit of time ahead of me before it’s fully settled in. Good thing it’s sounding awesome in the meantime.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #307 of 632
In case anyone is interested Wells Audio has booked the Harbor Room (22' x 24') at the Audiocon show in Newport Beach on January 14-16, 2022. I plan to have a large 2 channel setup as well as a Dragon or two, Headtrip II with outboard power supply and a Cipher I and Cipher Level II. Also there will be the new prototype of the Looking Glass II Level II power conditioner. This conditioner is revolutionary with " 60Hz Harmonic Reflection Damping" technology developed by Wells Audio. There is a level of noise reduction and detail never before experienced in audio. It sounds like an outlandish claim but for those that know me they know that this statement is not hyperbole. Of all of the designs that have grabbed the imagination of the high end market this may be the greatest design yet. Following the Audiocon the next planned show will be the headphone show at Axpona in April in Schaumburg, IL. In case you haven't seen it here is the link to the latest Dragon II review by Dave Hanson.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/wells-audio-dragon.25614/reviews#review-27520
@The Piper how is Audiocon?

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #309 of 632
It was postponed until next year. Next show will be Axpona in Chicago in April.
Darn Omicron. Hopefully Axpona will happen as scheduled.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #313 of 632
@The Piper how is the new version of Milo going?

I'm just waiting for my metal shop to make the 4 pin patches and another vendor to get to the new faceplates. Most often have to wait months to get new projects done but I'm hoping to start building in a month-
What is that I hear about a new Milo?
Any Details about differences to the current Milo?

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #315 of 632

Users who are viewing this thread

Back